New Year Karma: Careful With That Ask, Eugene!

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
New Year Karma: Careful With That Ask, Eugene!
« on: 2 Jan 2016, 09:36 pm »
It's time for the next Fartastical Karmic Give-away! This time some unfortunate ACer will win TWO prime examples of prog fartiness ... both on vinyl and both real rippers!

The first is an early, NM pressing of the 2 lp set that is known as .... Umma Gumma, the godfather of all things prog fartastical, a real stinkeroo. P + U = PU. The Floyds worked up a prodigious stink for this one. Reportedly, at first, even the band hated it; Roger Waters wasn't exactly amused to death, i.e., until it started making money. So great was their initial disinterest the Floyds couldn't even come up with a decent album title, so they settled on Umma Gumma, the catchphrase used by their main roadie pertaining to certain physical activities to be engaged in with young women with questionable standards of personal hygiene and a rather free spirited interpretation of traditional sexual mores. The record's producers agreed on Umma Gumma after decidedly passing on the first title suggestion from Syd Barrett, "No, Seriously Dude, Where's My Bong?".

Umma Gumma has had lasting cultural influence, however. A group of Marine Biologists, (and apparently forever Floyd enthusiasts) would later pay homage by naming an artificial reef in Goa Umma Gumma. And for inexplicable reasons, Careful With That Axe, Eugene was renamed Come in #51 Your Time Is Up, for the Zabriskie Point soundtrack. We can count our blessings that the music didn't in any way detract from the logical and not-at-all-confusing narrative of that cinematic wonder.

How do I know so much about this stinkeroo if I supposedly dislike it so much? Well, when Umma Gumma first came out, my five (count 'em, five) housemates had a Saturday night ritual: I would return home from working the second factory shift at a large regional insulation manufacturer, furtively riding the back streets on my not quite street legal '64 Triumph Tiger only to eventually arrive and find a candle lit, smoke enshrouded living room where the near comatose fab five would be slouched in couches and chairs - often accompanied by young women with questionable standards of personal hygiene and a rather free-spirited interpretation of traditional sexual mores - and patiently waiting for the screaming bit in Careful With that Axe, Eugene, after which they would all go nuts and immediately jump around happily in Saint Vitus fashion. This scene repeated itself every Saturday evening for about two years. It got old. Verily, after a few months, things smelleth a bit.

Well, just how stinky is Umma Gumma? On the BBRS (bean burrito ratings scale), Umma Gumma rates an admirable 4 out of 5 burritos!

The second fabulous fartastical give-away is a real odiferous lulu from the Moody Blues, Every Good Boy Reserves Flatus. Don't get me wrong, the Moodys produced some very fine albums but this record can't be counted among their number. Stinkeroo city! This confusing mishmash of half-baked fartiness has always given me the fantods, even when the album was new. What exactly is the theme of this record? Bunnies? Clouds? Clouds that look like bunnies? I have no idea! Why are you asking me? There's a certain bilious rumbling that arises from my nether regions whenever I even think of this windy wonder. Perhaps we know now why the Moodys were so moody. On the BBRS, Every Good Boy Reserves Flatus rates an impressive 3 and a half burritos.

In a completely selfless service to the AC community, I subjected myself to a straight-through listening of all thee lps to check on SQ. When I regained consciousness 16 hours later, I found over-turned furniture, broken bottles, curtains ripped down and a huge pentagram scrawled on the wall in pig's blood, (which I later discovered was actually Welches Grape Jelly.) Oddly, it seems that while I was out, I also rewrote my will leaving all my worldly possessions to FreeRangeMan, that has now been rectified and the old will has been restored.

Floyd and Moody fans take heart. Thou shalt remember that ours is a brief hour to strut and fret upon the stage, and that the outcome of this latest episode of the Fartastical giveaways should not, either for the winner/loser or the loser/winner, cause great despair and gnashing of teeth. These breezy works can only be comprehended in the context of their time, and as products of it – a time molded by new departures in music exploration apparently complemented by unhealthy attractions for broccoli, tofu, fried foods and warm carbonated beverages, often consumed in the same setting. So, here they are, two fine vinyl examples from the music methane genre, absolutely free. I will even pay the postage. You must pick a number between 1 - 58. A random number generator will choose the number and the unfortunate loser will be announced in a few weeks. CONUS only, and only those with 75 or more posts can play. I'll even include a clothes pin and a 1$ off GasX coupon.

Vinyl lady has already picked 21 and Arthur Dent is nipping at her heels with 22 so others will have to pick others.

Those not interested in Floyd or MB can look forward to the next fartastical giveaway and the windy return of Mr. Thunderpants himself, a two-fer vinyl giveaway in "For Whom the Tull Bells, Part Deux", with free, near mint original pressings of Storm Warning and Passion Play.

As always and initially yours,
KP

May I not be judged too harshly in the afterlife for my role as an enabler.

gab

Re: New Year Karma: Careful With That Ask, Eugene!
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2016, 10:11 pm »
#9 please. Thanks!

gab

Charles Xavier

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2016, 10:29 pm »
38 please

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2016, 12:12 am »
25, por favor! Gracias!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2016, 12:41 am »
 :thumb:  Sounds like an interesting 16 hrs.   :o  Thanks KP

ecod123

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2016, 07:10 pm »
18, please. Thanks!

crohrer9

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2016, 08:05 pm »
A stinky 33 for me please.  Thx much

Not enough posts for me.  So sorry. 
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2016, 03:45 am by crohrer9 »

bplexico

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2016, 03:27 am »
#31 for me please.

Oops, I don't have enough posts, thanks anyway!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2016, 11:00 pm »
Ummagumma is a real piece of crap, all right, but I don't have it on vinyl so 58 for me, please.
I promise to douse the dog with bong water if I win.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2016, 11:21 pm »
I'm decidedly un-CONUS, so I'll have to pass on this one.

Despite my best efforts, I have never been able to listen to Umma Gumma in its entirety. You are truly talented or tainted.

pconley2

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2016, 11:36 pm »
KP, sadly I already have both in vinyl, so please give me the number 0

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Phil

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #11 on: 6 Jan 2016, 03:24 pm »

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2016, 10:39 pm »
Geetings Kenneth,

Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to play but I want to send my thanks for offering this, and for the belly laughs. Your writing for this latest give-away, along with the previous 'For whom the Tull bells', is smartly funny and much appreciated. The 'rejected' Umma Gumma title makes me laugh each time I read it. One can just imagine. Again, thank you, and take care.

Regards,
Lester

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2016, 11:05 pm »
Afew years after this album release-1969 a local rock music magazine printed a Rick Wright small interview, he said that title means a filthy thing that oppresses and control humans beings for herd.
I think it funny at the time. :duh:

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2016, 06:13 pm »
Geetings Kenneth,

Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to play but I want to send my thanks for offering this, and for the belly laughs. Your writing for this latest give-away, along with the previous 'For whom the Tull bells', is smartly funny and much appreciated. The 'rejected' Umma Gumma title makes me laugh each time I read it. One can just imagine. Again, thank you, and take care.

Regards,
Lester

Hello Lester,
My thanks for your thanks and compiments and my apologies for the exclusionary nature of the game. I'll select the winner/ loser soon. And I promise that the next fartastical will be open to all comers and a return to form with For Whom the Tull Bells, Part Dieux. My stomach hurts already.
Initially yours,
KP

putz

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2016, 06:51 pm »
44 please

charmerci

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jan 2016, 01:21 pm »
I just listened to EGBDF (which is a musical reference) and I think you're being unfairly harsh - well, except for Nice To Be Here...blech!

Procession (a history of music) leading into A Story In Your Eyes at least makes the album worth it.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jan 2016, 01:41 pm »
I love these two albums so much that I've never purchased them.  The answer is 42.

rpf

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jan 2016, 02:19 pm »
Not interested, but thanks for the laughs!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jan 2016, 02:22 pm »
Geetings Kenneth,

Regards,
Lester
Lester, I'll play for you ...number 3 please.
If we win, just send KP your address.