RMAF 2014 - Tell Us Where To Go (Tyson & Pez)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
RMAF 2014 - Tell Us Where To Go (Tyson & Pez)
« on: 5 Oct 2014, 08:33 pm »
And don't say "To Hell!".  Hahaha.  This year we're doing things a bit differently.  We noticed we'd started hitting the same rooms over and over each year and it was because they were either AC vendors or they had a history of sounding excellent (usually both).  We had a list of about 30, which is all that we could really get to.  And that was really our limit.  Everything else got left out or ignored.

So this year we are cutting way back, we have a list of about 10 vendors we really feel we should hit, but that will only take us one day.  That frees up 2/3rd's of our time to roam and scout out cool stuff we've never heard before. 

We need your help - tell us which rooms have cool stuff so we can go listen to it. 

But there are 3 rules:

1.  No box speakers with a 6 inch paper/plastic midrange and a 1 inch tweeter.  I mean, c'mon, this is 2014, we can do better!

2.  No speakers with a single full range driver.  They sound like sh!t.  I'm sorry, but they do.  Won't waste precious show time on this crap.

3.  If you tell us to go listen to a cable or a DAC or something like that, we will hunt you down and punch you in the face. 

Tyson

Re: RMAF 2014 - Tell Us Where To Go (Tyson & Pez)
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2014, 08:42 pm »
Also, here's a list of the vendors already on the list.  It's a bit more than 10 because we've had some requests already:

418   Madisound
418   SEAS
418   Linkwitz Lab

427   Core Audio Technology
427   Hawthorne Audio

517   PranaFidelity
517   WyWires, LLC
517    Original Recordings Group

518    AUDIO SKIES
518    Pear Audio Analogue
518    GamuT

542    Merkel Acoustic R&D

Iris    ModWright Instruments, Inc.
Iris    WyWires, LLC
Iris    Daedalus Audio

1017   Emerald Physics
1017     Wireworld Cable Technology

1100     AudioKinesis
1100     ModWright Instruments, Inc.
1100     James Romeyn Music and Audio LLC

1125     Antelope Audio
1125     Performance Devices / King Sound US
1125     Wireworld Cable Technology

2016     JRiver, Inc.
2016     JTR Speakers Inc.
2016     Lynx Studio Technology

2024     Vapor Audio
2024     API Technologies
2024     GIK Acoustics

C14   iFi audio (Canjam)

Added based on input from this thread:

441   Seaton Sound, Inc.

445   PTE (PRECISION TRANSDUCER ENGINEERING)

450   TigerFox, Inc

518   AUDIO SKIES
518   Pear Audio Analogue
518   GamuT

542   Merkel Acoustic R&D

561   B.M.C. Audio GmbH

573   Burwell And Sons Loudspeakers

2020   Red Dragon Audio
2020   Spatial Computer LLC

8000   Abyss Headphones

8002   TIDAL

9007   Wavelength Audio, ltd.
9007   Vaughn Loudspeakers

C01   Alclair

1022     Volti Audio
1022     Tortuga Audio
« Last Edit: 7 Oct 2014, 12:46 am by Tyson »

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2014, 08:50 pm »
A couple I'd suggest as worthwhile

Conifer 1 - Raidho
561 - BMC (probably will have their dipole monitor)
Primrose - Polymer Audio
441 - Seaton Sound, visit at the end of the day and ask to peel some paint off the walls
412 - Voice that is, usually another Tidal setup but not sure what they'll show this year

... and I guess that's it.  I don't see Zellaton, Rockport, or Estelon on the list  :scratch:

1.  No box speakers with a 6 inch paper/plastic midrange and a 1 inch tweeter.  I mean, c'mon, this is 2014, we can do better!

2.  No speakers with a single full range driver.  They sound like sh!t.  I'm sorry, but they do.  Won't waste precious show time on this crap.

3.  If you tell us to go listen to a cable or a DAC or something like that, we will hunt you down and punch you in the face. 

Love it  :lol:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2014, 08:51 pm »
Tweek Geek.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2014, 09:57 pm »
Because I can't make it this year, I'm relying on you guys! ;)

A couple that would have been on my "list":

JTR room; first time (if memory serves) that Digital Amplifier Company's amps will be at a major show.  Curious to know what you guys think, considering I'm pretty sure you've heard all of the other current/leading edge tech in digital amps.  I've chatted online with Tommy on and off for a while, and really would have liked a chance to check out his stuff.

Salk.  I didn't get to hear the Exoticas before they grew up into floorstanders.  You know the bass will be good (GR/Rhythmik), but I'm really curious to hear a flagship Salk speaker on AVA electronics that doesn't use the Raal tweeter.  Yep, I'll say it; I'm not a fan of the Raal, and unfortunately (for me) that tweeter has made an otherwise well regarded room more or less a no-fly zone for me for a few years now.

I'll second Seaton if you haven't heard his stuff before, and I will also second the suggestion to hit the room off peak hours; something that really would showcase the impact an orchestra can produce (could go with the stand-by of the 1812 if you're not feeling creative) would be fun there if you're not just in the mood to crack a little plaster off the walls.

Hugh at Angel City Audio mentioned that he's got some new floorstanders coming to the show.  The Trinity just wasn't quite my cup of tea, but I would like to have heard what he has cooked up really with the gloves off design-wise.

I know these are all box speaker suggestions, but you were asking about new stuff to check out.  :thumb:

johzel

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2014, 10:08 pm »
Looks like a busy list.  I always look forward to your coverage.  Thanks for being our eyes and more importantly, our ears!!  I'm guessing some will wait until your reviews are written before they tell you where to go!! :duh: :nono:

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2014, 10:24 pm »
Please take time to check out Jim Salk's new Exotica 3 speakers.  They use the Seas Exotic series midrange and tweeter and at last year's show I heard the best violin string sound I have ever heard reproduced with a smaller two way Salk implementation of these drivers. Now with built in servo-woofer amps and a VERY powerful and clean bottom end these are pretty amazing speakers.

They end up being 90 dB plus efficient too so they don't need a humungous power amplifier, just a really good one.

Oh yes, room 1107, a big room that lets the music breathe.  We will be there too.

Frank Van Alstine

kernelbob

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2014, 10:59 pm »
If recent shows are any indication, Endeavor Audio should be a good room to check out.

sunnydaze

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2014, 11:03 pm »
Vaughn loudspeakers,  Room 9007

http://www.vaughnloudspeakers.com/

Mr. Don

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2014, 11:25 pm »
I'll second Frank's recommendation for Salk Sound, Room 1107. (I know they're a member/sponsor here at AC.) I've heard them at four audio shows (looking forward to the fifth this week!) and they're always high on my list.

Super folks, gorgeous work, and great sound - check them out for sure.

werd

« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2014, 11:39 pm »
There is a nice new dac that has a cable coming right out of it, You guys got to check it out. Go to the 13th floor left out the elevator. Report back  :thumb:

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2014, 01:01 am »
The Abyss headphones will be in a dedicated room with multiple amplifiers to try.  You might like what you hear.

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 6 Oct 2014, 01:35 am »
And don't say "To Hell!".  Hahaha. 
Dammit...

Tyson

« Reply #13 on: 6 Oct 2014, 02:10 am »
Wow, lots of replies already!  Thanks so far :)  I'll answer each person in turn:

A couple I'd suggest as worthwhile

Conifer 1 - Raidho
561 - BMC (probably will have their dipole monitor)
Primrose - Polymer Audio
441 - Seaton Sound, visit at the end of the day and ask to peel some paint off the walls
412 - Voice that is, usually another Tidal setup but not sure what they'll show this year

... and I guess that's it.  I don't see Zellaton, Rockport, or Estelon on the list  :scratch:

Love it  :lol:

Raidho, meh.  Heard them at least 3 shows now and always not impressed.

BMC, didn't know they were dipoles, will have to check them out.  Same with Seaton - I think that Coax driver is the same one I use in my DIY speakers.  Interesting. 

Tweek Geek.

Not this year.

Because I can't make it this year, I'm relying on you guys! ;)

A couple that would have been on my "list":

JTR room; first time (if memory serves) that Digital Amplifier Company's amps will be at a major show.  Curious to know what you guys think, considering I'm pretty sure you've heard all of the other current/leading edge tech in digital amps.  I've chatted online with Tommy on and off for a while, and really would have liked a chance to check out his stuff.

Salk.  I didn't get to hear the Exoticas before they grew up into floorstanders.  You know the bass will be good (GR/Rhythmik), but I'm really curious to hear a flagship Salk speaker on AVA electronics that doesn't use the Raal tweeter.  Yep, I'll say it; I'm not a fan of the Raal, and unfortunately (for me) that tweeter has made an otherwise well regarded room more or less a no-fly zone for me for a few years now.

I'll second Seaton if you haven't heard his stuff before, and I will also second the suggestion to hit the room off peak hours; something that really would showcase the impact an orchestra can produce (could go with the stand-by of the 1812 if you're not feeling creative) would be fun there if you're not just in the mood to crack a little plaster off the walls.

Hugh at Angel City Audio mentioned that he's got some new floorstanders coming to the show.  The Trinity just wasn't quite my cup of tea, but I would like to have heard what he has cooked up really with the gloves off design-wise.

I know these are all box speaker suggestions, but you were asking about new stuff to check out.  :thumb:

Hey, see rule #1   :nono: :lol: :lol:  But the JTR Room might be interesting.

Please take time to check out Jim Salk's new Exotica 3 speakers.  They use the Seas Exotic series midrange and tweeter and at last year's show I heard the best violin string sound I have ever heard reproduced with a smaller two way Salk implementation of these drivers. Now with built in servo-woofer amps and a VERY powerful and clean bottom end these are pretty amazing speakers.

They end up being 90 dB plus efficient too so they don't need a humungous power amplifier, just a really good one.

Oh yes, room 1107, a big room that lets the music breathe.  We will be there too.

Frank Van Alstine

We've hit Salk a bunch of times, unless it's a radical departure from previous designs and Salk/AVA house sound, I think we're gonna pass.

If recent shows are any indication, Endeavor Audio should be a good room to check out.

See Rule #1.  Unless I am missing something?

Vaughn loudspeakers,  Room 9007

http://www.vaughnloudspeakers.com/

Excellent, will check them out!

There is a nice new dac that has a cable coming right out of it, You guys got to check it out. Go to the 13th floor left out the elevator. Report back  :thumb:

Bast@rd!  :duel:

The Abyss headphones will be in a dedicated room with multiple amplifiers to try.  You might like what you hear.

Added, thanks!

kernelbob

« Reply #14 on: 6 Oct 2014, 02:30 am »
Re: Endeavor Audio.  Yes you'll be missing something very worth hearing.

Tyson

« Reply #15 on: 6 Oct 2014, 02:34 am »
Re: Endeavor Audio.  Yes you'll be missing something very worth hearing.

You'll have to be more specific - what do they do differently from other box/cone/dome speakers?

bbaxter

« Reply #16 on: 6 Oct 2014, 02:53 am »
Had a great time last year, but can't make it this year.  Bummer!  I'm very anxious to hear the new Spatial speakers.  Could you check them out for me?  Thanks!

Tyson

« Reply #17 on: 6 Oct 2014, 03:11 am »
Had a great time last year, but can't make it this year.  Bummer!  I'm very anxious to hear the new Spatial speakers.  Could you check them out for me?  Thanks!

Those look very interesting, too.  Thanks!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #18 on: 6 Oct 2014, 03:31 am »
You'll have to be more specific - what do they do differently from other box/cone/dome speakers?

Built in popcorn maker and kegerator, wish I'd thought of it first  :duh:

Scottdazzle

« Reply #19 on: 6 Oct 2014, 03:58 am »
Room 918 will have Daedalus Muse speakers, ModWright Elyse DAC, ModWright LS 100 pre, Oppo/ModWright Truth 105, ModWright KWA 150SE, and Skogrand Cables. I will be there helping Knut Skogrand (all the way from Norway) with the room. Hope to see you there.