Four quesitons about day hiking essentials

Doublej

Four quesitons about day hiking essentials
« on: 7 Sep 2014, 06:53 pm »
What knife do you carry?

What brand of duct tape do you bring with you?

What survival whistle do you bring with you?

Which paracord do you bring with you?

The reason I ask is I was day hiking recently and thought I probably should have these in my back pack just in case.

mav52

Re: Four quesitons about day hiking essentials
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2014, 07:36 pm »
1) Mission MPS-Ti

2) Duck Brand

3) UST Ultimate Survival (Black) JetScream

4) 550 paracord

water, energy bars and other misc stuff

and a little Ruger LCR along with my CWP.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2014, 07:47 pm »
Is this a day hike or a kidnapping?

I have been day hiking in the mountains around Tucson since 1980. I used to hike around 350 miles a year but my hiking buddy needs to get back early so we only do 250 miles a year. This is what I carry:

2 quarts water unless it's a 14 mile hike then I take 3 quarts and I keep a quart in the Jeep.
Snacks: nuts, fruit, energy bars, peanut butter & banana sandwiches depending on the hike
Sturdy boots with Vibram soles and ankle support, it's rocky out here
Hiking socks - blisters are a bitch
Ibuprofin - good for twisted ankles, blisters, jammed toes
Floppy hat to shade face, neck and ears
Sunscreen if you are a newby - remember you will be outdoors all day
Red bandana
Breathable nylon raincoat or one of those $1 ponchos if it looks like rain, a person can get hypothermia and die in 60 degree temps.
Klien jack knife with 3-3/4" blade
Plastic sport whistle from 5 and Dime, most packs have a whistle built into the buckle
Maps if you are unfamiliar with the area, where we go there is no cell phone coverage 50% of the time.
Layers of clothing, gloves if it is cold - have to keep your core warm and dry

In 34 years I have never found a need for duct tape or paracord on a day hike so don't carry any. Never needed a gun either.

Wayne

jupiterboy

« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2014, 07:54 pm »
I do day hike now, but have been a lifelong backpacker, cumulatively spending years sleeping outside in the wild. I have never carried a knife, but I do take one of those metal wire saws on long trips (more than 5 nights).

The whistle is really a good idea, along with a compass/maps and some sense of orienteering. One of those emergency silver bags is also a good idea, as hypothermia, particularly for someone who is injured in the rain sets on pretty quickly. A sheet of mylar that can be wrapped around you is also a good alternate. A lighter is the modern invention that is really priceless. Water purification tabs or such, also great. Cord, for sure. And, I usually have a candle lantern. Something about having a long burning candle with wind protection can made sitting out any bad situation, particularly through the night, so much more bearable. Canteen, for sure. Beyond this, a basic meds kit—antihistamine, white tape for an ankle or blisters, antiseptic (alcohol wipes), advil, bandages. These can get you through most anything.

Oh, extra food, like a high-calorie food bar, and maybe spirulina powder to keep you alive for 24-48.

geowak

« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2014, 08:53 pm »
I would read Aron Ralston book "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" and "98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping your Ass Alive" Cody Lundin

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2014, 09:05 pm »
 A compass and maps. The ability to use both. Backpacker's First Aid Kit. Some basic knowledge of same. Water and purification tablets or device. You can't trust the water on the trails anymore. People don't seem to care where they relieve themselves nowadays. As for a knife, my trusty USMC issued K-Bar. And I always carry whatever I think I'll need to spend an unexpected night in the woods. As far as a gun goes, you might consider it in grizzly country, but first, file down the front site, so when the bear shoves it up your butt, it won't hurt so much.

Doc .-

geowak

« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2014, 09:26 pm »
Of course it does not hurt to tell someone who cares about you the time, location and route of your hike. Also record a message on someones phone or your home phone where you will be and when you will be back. Water is a must, over food. Knowing the weather report, and basics about shelter, water, fire and navigation. Compass, map and a good fixed knife like a Randall. A good multi purpose tool, like leathernan, victornix, gerber. A SPOT device and a cell phone, charged. A good wide brim hat to keep the sun off you. A good light rain jacket, since hypothermia is a killer. A military poncho and paracord can make a lean to for emergency shelter.

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2014, 09:44 pm »
Where are you going and who are you going with? Some people are crazy and some are just stupid. The crazy ones will take you on a hike that is well beyond your endurance. One of my favorite hikes climbs 1000' per mile for 4 miles to the top of Kimball Peak, I would never take you on that hike. It would be no fun for either of us. Most people way, way, way overestimate their physical ability. It is up to the guide not to kill you.

The stupid hikers will blast off leaving you to find your own way in unfamiliar territory. Hiking with people is a communal event, the slowest person sets the pace. If a person gets injured, has cramps or heat exhaustion then either someone or the whole group waits. We have had to turn around halfway to our destination because of unforeseen problems, no big deal, the trail will be there tomorrow.

Wayne

jupiterboy

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2014, 09:48 pm »
Where are you going and who are you going with? Some people are crazy and some are just stupid. The crazy ones will take you on a hike that is well beyond your endurance. One of my favorite hikes climbs 1000' per mile for 4 miles to the top of Kimball Peak, I would never take you on that hike. It would be no fun for either of us. Most people way, way, way overestimate their physical ability. It is up to the guide not to kill you.

The stupid hikers will blast off leaving you to find your own way in unfamiliar territory. Hiking with people is a communal event, the slowest person sets the pace. If a person gets injured, has cramps or heat exhaustion then either someone or the whole group waits. We have had to turn around halfway to our destination because of unforeseen problems, no big deal, the trail will be there tomorrow.

Wayne

x2

Getting separated for any reason is the worst outcome. It happened to my group one time on bald granite tops in the Rockies during a white-out rain. No visibility, no trees. Almost lost a good friend on that trip.

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 7 Sep 2014, 10:04 pm »
Canyon Ranch, a famous spa/resort, has day hikes from beginner to A rating. We see the groups all the time, a leader with a walkie talkie in the front and caboose with a walkie talkie in the rear. Everyone hikes at a different pace so the groups can get spread out.

One morning we were taking a break on a ridge when a group went by, they were pretty spread out and a guy in the middle, out of sight of the main group, almost took the wrong trail. He was going to go right when the main trail went left. We asked him if he was part of Canyon Ranch and he said yes so we told him to go left otherwise the group would have been one short when they broke for lunch and clueless to where they lost him. When the caboose went by we let him know what happened and he should tighten up the line.

pslate

« Reply #10 on: 7 Sep 2014, 10:07 pm »
What knife do you carry?

The reason I ask is I was day hiking recently and thought I probably should have these in my back pack just in case.

Duct tape = weight, analyze your needs and gear and carry the appropriate patch kits etc. if you deem them necessary. Remember backpackers #1 mistake early on is carrying too much weight. Although I grew up in NH and have hiked the AT in my home state + 4000 peaks I hear of a store on the trail in GA, or close to it, that does big business shipping back extra weight from hikers packs. Also a great piece of advice is to eliminate cotton and clothing that does insulate when when wet or dry easily. To the comments below about groups, they are absolutely right knowing the expectations and physical fitness of your party is critical. Knowing those things beforehand helps keep people together and out of trouble. Master topo maps of the region you are about to enter, carry any written descriptions of trails, if available, if you are unfamiliar with the terrain. Lastly if you unfamiliar with a certain area research weather and how it may effect hiking. In the mountain west it could be being aware afternoon lightening above treelike, in the NH presidentials it's knowing how quickly weather can change and being prepared. Most importantly have fun!!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 13 Sep 2014, 08:20 am »
Is this a day hike or a kidnapping?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What knife do you carry?

I always have my EDC knife and flashlight but when hiking I generally have some more kit with me.  For short hikes I have a small kit that I carry in a Maxpedition 12x5 bottle holder.  On the PALS webbing I carry an SOG Field Pup.  I like it because it's medium size, pretty sharp and has a nylon sheath with a small pocket that will hold my BlastMatch fire steel.  For a whistle I always have a JetScream at least.  For duct tape I carry either a small roll from AMK or a few yards of Gorilla tape I keep wrapped around a fresnel lense.

Many of my kits have some paracord because it's very handy.  I like the blaze orange stuff because if I need to use it stealthiness with be the opposite of my goal.  It's amazing how  useful the stuff is if you camp!  I've fixed gear with it, replaced broken shoelaces and drawstrings, used it to secure my tent, etc.  Even used it as a makeshift if somewhat uncomfortable belt.

For general cordage use though bankline is often better.  It's not quite as strong but strong enough and much more compact.

While you didn't specifically mention it water is a pretty crucial thing I always carry.  I don't trust hydration bladders 100% but I do sometimes use one with a stainless bottle as backup.  The nice thing about my Maxpedition bag is that I can fit my 40oz steel bottle with a nesting pot in it along with a collapsible funnel, chlorine dioxide tabs, fire gear, a space blanket, rain poncho, etc.  There's just enough room in there for my Ritter/AMK PSP, too.  I use the shoulder strap from an old laptop.  If my hike is somewhere remote or I'm planning to be out a while I'll carry a larger pack.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2014, 08:25 am »
In 34 years I have never found a need for duct tape or paracord on a day hike so don't carry any. Never needed a gun either.

Wayne

FWIW I've needed all three, but thankfully not all on the same trip!

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #13 on: 30 Sep 2014, 02:52 pm »
If I'm hiking anywhere that I legitimately might get into trouble, I carry one of these:

I might be out of cell phone range, but chances are there's a ham repeater nearby as they're usually put on top of mountains in hard-to-reach, annoying places (i.e, perfect hiking spots).

Of course, that kind of line-of-sight coverage can be a liability, like the time I asked for a weather report from the other side of Mt. Mitchell and got a good 'ol boy two hundred miles into Georgia asking me to be a little more clear on where I was :D

Folsom

« Reply #14 on: 21 Oct 2014, 08:17 pm »
You would think I'm nuts if you were to see how little I have with me... Hell, I usually go with a friend who carries the water because he weighs WAY less than I do.

We don't necessarily use trails... or go places anyone would build a trail. The last place was on the ID/MT border where no one had been since A&W cans looked like this (found one, not this one)

However I need to start carrying a good flashlight... Maybe gloves. I did a lot of crab walking after night fell last time. It's pretty damn steep in that area, glacial formed stuff. I'll probably slowly start collecting more things to have.

milford3

« Reply #15 on: 21 Oct 2014, 08:25 pm »
I never hike without my Glock 22

*Scotty*

« Reply #16 on: 21 Oct 2014, 09:52 pm »
Don't forget that you may be hiking in rattle snake country, both the western diamondback,prairie rattler, timber rattlesnake and eastern diamondback snake have a surprisingly wide range across America. Be aware of your surroundings and look where you are stepping.
 Remember that you are NOT on a day trip to Disneyland. It also helps to research the trail and area you going to hike into so as to know before hand the gradient of the trail ahead of you. This helps avoid nasty OMG moments that can occur when the trail winds around a corner 4 or 5 miles in and appears to go straight up a mountain.
Scotty
Poisonous snake ranges.
http://www.freemilling.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Rattlesnake-Map.jpg
Western Diamondback
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Crotalus_atrox_distribution.png
Timber Rattlesnake
http://www.oriannesociety.org/sites/default/themes/orianne/images/rangemaps/Timber_Rattlesnake1.jpg
Eastern Diamondback
http://www.oriannesociety.org/sites/default/themes/orianne/images/rangemaps/Eastern_Diamondback.jpg
Coral Snake
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:USA_Coral_Snake_Range.png
Copperhead
http://www.oocities.org/copperheadjunkie/species.html

Doublej

« Reply #17 on: 21 Oct 2014, 10:04 pm »
Don't forget that you may be hiking in rattle snake country, both the western diamondback, timber rattlesnake and eastern diamondback snake have a surprisingly wide range across America. Be aware of your surroundings and look where you are stepping.
 Remember that you are NOT on a day trip to Disneyland. It also helps to research the trail and area you going to hike into so as to know before hand the gradient of the trail ahead of you. This helps avoid nasty OMG moments that can occur when the trail winds around a corner 4 or 5 miles in and appears to go straight up a mountain.
Scotty
Poisonous snake ranges.
Western Diamondback
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Crotalus_atrox_distribution.png
Timber Rattlesnake
http://www.oriannesociety.org/sites/default/themes/orianne/images/rangemaps/Timber_Rattlesnake1.jpg
Eastern Diamondback
http://www.oriannesociety.org/sites/default/themes/orianne/images/rangemaps/Eastern_Diamondback.jpg
Coral Snake
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:USA_Coral_Snake_Range.png
Copperhead
http://www.oocities.org/copperheadjunkie/species.html

HOLY ****. I didn't realize the Northeast had any poisonous snakes, let alone the most dangerous venomous snake in North America. I thought we were free of killer snakes and such up here.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #18 on: 21 Oct 2014, 10:09 pm »

For the last 40 years, I've carried one thing that never leaves my day pack. Dental floss. The container is one of the square box types and of course weighs next to nothing. In the box I've jammed a needle, a razor blade, three strike anywhere matches, a safety pin, two band-aids and two extra-strength aspirins. Around the box I've wound several strips of duct tape. It's so ugly that there's no reason to remove it from the pack so it always stays there. I've used the floss to replace a broken shoe lace and to tie-up a temporary rain parka shelter. A buddy once used the floss and the tape to temporarily re-attach a sole to his boot. The needle has removed splinters, band-aids have covered numerous blisters, etc.

Once in the Blue Ridge I came across a small trout pond. I used the floss for line and fastened a hook from the safety pin. I wish I could say that worked, it didn't.

I don't usually carry a pistol with me on day hikes. My knives have always been the swiss army variety.

I've seen plenty of snakes, never bitten, but they always scare the beejeesus outta me. I always hike with a dog and I'm more concerned with them getting bit than me.

*Scotty*

« Reply #19 on: 21 Oct 2014, 11:30 pm »
I have spent many years in Western Diamondback and Prairie Rattlesnake habitat and while I have seen a fair number rattlesnakes, I have never been in serious danger of being bitten. The key is to be aware of what is around you and think about where you put your feet when you walk.
 Tall grass habitat for the Prairie Rattler and loose leaf duff on the forest floor of the Timber Rattler habitat are probably the two hairiest places to be hiking in because of the difficulty of seeing the snake in the grass or the one under the loose leaves carpeting the forest floor.
This is where your hiking stick comes in handy, mine is a staff 5ft. long and I use it to sweep the leaves or grass ahead of where I plan to put my feet., Rattlers will usually avoid the stick moving around in their area and leave or rattle before you step on them. Snake proof boots or gaiters are a must have item before hiking in these environments.
Scotty