Which Vapors to choose?

guest86232

Which Vapors to choose?
« on: 6 Sep 2014, 03:41 am »
Hello, I'm looking for a new pair of speakers and would like some advice on what would suit me the best. 

Over the years I've owned speakers cut from many different molds.  I've had a couple pair of Maggies, some front loaded Lowthers, Acapella horns, and speakers from Dali, Vienna Acoustics, and Revel.  In their own way, I've enjoyed them all, but they all had weaknesses that eventually led me elsewhere.  I'm looking to get off the roller coaster, and find speakers that I can love for some time. 

I have a fairly large room, 20x28 with 12' cathedral ceiling, but I very rarely listen loud.  Normal use is evenings at low-mid volume.  My current amps, which I would like to keep, are a pair of Cary 211FE monoblocks. 

I'm looking for a speaker with great timing and pace, something that tracks the music quickly.  I also like a lively sound with plenty of resolution, but also smooth when the music calls for it.  I don't want bass blown out of proportion, but still to have depth and power to it.  And for music I listen to everything, metal to mandolin ... country to classical.  I need a speaker that does anything I throw at it well. 

I love the custom aspect of Vapor, my house, my car, my clothes are all custom.  But some help narrowing down the choices would be much appreciated. 

Thank you for your input.

*Scotty*

Re: Which Vapors to choose?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2014, 04:47 am »
You have a room volume of approximately 5800cu.ft.. It seems to me that you are a prime candidate for a pair of Vapor White loudspeakers.
They have high sensitivity at 93dB and should be able to easily fill your room with clean sound. It don't know if your Carys have enough watts to be compatible with the Vapor Whites or not, Ryan would have to comment on this subject.
Scotty

Bob Stark

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2014, 05:07 am »
That would be Vapor Nimbus White ($9800) or Vapor Joule White ($13,900).  The first would have a little more jump factor due to the higher efficiency and the latter a little more refined.  Totally different looking speakers from each other.  Either would be pretty awesome.  Your Cary would have plenty of juice with the Nimbus speakers.

Bob

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2014, 06:48 pm »
2legit, love it!  Makes me want to get out my Hammer Pants.

What you're looking for really does sound like a fit for what we do.  Our sound is lively and engaging, lots of resolution with a deep window into the recording, but also refined and musical.  We also do custom everything! 

There are more questions that would need answers before I give a suggestion, or suggestions.

- Do you use subs, or are you opposed to using them?
- How far away do you sit from the speakers?  Listening distance is just as important as room size, if not more-so. 
- Do you have any speaker size requirements/restrictions?
- Is this dedicated 2ch, or 2ch and Home Theater?
- And of course most importantly, budget?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2014, 06:55 pm »
That would be Vapor Nimbus White ($9800) or Vapor Joule White ($13,900).  The first would have a little more jump factor due to the higher efficiency and the latter a little more refined.  Totally different looking speakers from each other.  Either would be pretty awesome.  Your Cary would have plenty of juice with the Nimbus speakers.

Bob

On paper most would agree the higher sensitivity speaker has more jump, and in most cases that's true.  But the improved drivers and cabinet construction used in the Joule are intrinsically so 'jumpy', that it gives the greater sense of perceived dynamics. 

The reality is all our speakers sound very similar, because they're all voiced by my ear.  Where they differ is the capabilities each has dues to different execution, construction, and component choices. 

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2014, 06:57 pm »
You have a room volume of approximately 5800cu.ft.. It seems to me that you are a prime candidate for a pair of Vapor White loudspeakers.
They have high sensitivity at 93dB and should be able to easily fill your room with clean sound. It don't know if your Carys have enough watts to be compatible with the Vapor Whites or not, Ryan would have to comment on this subject.
Scotty

I have no personal experience with that amp, but if they do in fact deliver a clean 100+ watts, they will drive anything in our lineup with easy.  It looks to be a very interesting design, what I found on the net about them makes me want to hear a pair someday!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2014, 09:18 pm »
Hard to go wrong with the Nimbus or Joule speakers, and they are both a speaker you could own for the rest of your life and be happy with. If I was looking for a speaker like you describe the big Vapors would be at the top of my list.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2014, 03:27 am »

the Joule are intrinsically so 'jumpy', that it gives the greater sense of perceived dynamics. 

Is the Cirrus White essentially the top half of the Joule White? Have customers mated the Cirrus White with subs and been happy long term?

Thanks,

Rocket_Ronny

guest86232

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2014, 06:08 pm »
2legit, love it!  Makes me want to get out my Hammer Pants.

What you're looking for really does sound like a fit for what we do.  Our sound is lively and engaging, lots of resolution with a deep window into the recording, but also refined and musical.  We also do custom everything! 

There are more questions that would need answers before I give a suggestion, or suggestions.

- Do you use subs, or are you opposed to using them?
- How far away do you sit from the speakers?  Listening distance is just as important as room size, if not more-so. 
- Do you have any speaker size requirements/restrictions?
- Is this dedicated 2ch, or 2ch and Home Theater?
- And of course most importantly, budget?

Thank you for the replies, and from everyone else as well. 

I am not opposed to using subwoofers.  A consideration for me is that I don't want boring black cubes scattered around the room.

My couch is at 9-10 feet, but I also listen while in the back of the room playing pool.

No size restriction, big is fine

I only do 2 channel music in this room

Budget is wide open.  Honestly I just want a pair of speakers I can live with for a long time. 

mav52

« Reply #9 on: 7 Sep 2014, 09:25 pm »
Whats wrong with the Derecho they should work and the price isn't bad either

EdRo

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2014, 04:38 am »
I would say that the Super Nimbus would be perfect for you!!!

guest86232

« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2014, 04:46 am »
I would say that the Super Nimbus would be perfect for you!!!

Super Nimbus? 

Stercom

« Reply #12 on: 8 Sep 2014, 09:43 am »
Since price is no concern I say try to get a pair of the Perfect Storm. I've been wondering what they are and the website says they debut in 2014!!!???

dex67

« Reply #13 on: 8 Sep 2014, 02:27 pm »
hi 2legit, where are you located? if you are somewhere around Central NJ, you're more than welcome to come and listen to my pair of Nimbus Black...my listening position is about 9-10 ft as well...my room is almost your size, although not that high...

cheers,
adrian

EdRo

« Reply #14 on: 8 Sep 2014, 02:41 pm »
Super Nimbus?

Since we are into custom everything, we can take the Perfect Storm components and put them into a Nimbus cabinet.

15" Flex Unit from Audio Technology
A single Accuton Neo midrange used in the Joule White instead of the standard dual mids in the MTM Nimbus.  The single Neo mid has the required sensitivity to match the large Audio Tech woofer as well as being their flagship 6.5" mid.  There's even the possibility of using a custom Audio Technology mid or an 8" custom Accuton as a midrange.
The larger RAAL 140-15D tweeter instead of the 70-20XR, Aleks' favorite tweeter (owner of RAAL).

Wolfpack85

« Reply #15 on: 8 Sep 2014, 05:57 pm »
Thank you for the replies, and from everyone else as well. 

I am not opposed to using subwoofers.  A consideration for me is that I don't want boring black cubes scattered around the room.

My couch is at 9-10 feet, but I also listen while in the back of the room playing pool.

No size restriction, big is fine

I only do 2 channel music in this room

Budget is wide open.  Honestly I just want a pair of speakers I can live with for a long time.

Where are you located? There could be someone that is pretty close to you that has a pair of Vapor speakers.

Maybe Vapor should start a list of guys who are willing to let others stop by and listen to Vapor speaks?

There are probably more guys like Dex67 out there willing to let you into their home. This would give you a real hands on experience in a home environment.

Just by listing your location could be enough to get a response. Can't hurt.

verdun47

« Reply #16 on: 8 Sep 2014, 10:21 pm »
EdRo

" Perfect Storm components and put them into a Nimbus cabinet."

15"  Audio Tech
Accuton Neo mid
The larger RAAL 140-15D

So it would be the ......  Perfect Nimbus?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #17 on: 9 Sep 2014, 02:10 am »
I'm not quite ready to pull the cover off the Perfect Storm in public just yet.  I want something to show along with the wordage.  But if best of the best is what you're looking for, and you certainly have the space for, then let's talk in private.  I'll give you all the juicy details. 

This Super Duper Perfect Uber Nimbus is something a recent customer was asking about, and a plan we came up with together.  It would be Perfect Storm base DNA, but have some very important differences.  Being an idea we just came up with less than a week ago, it would be way to early to discuss details in public. 

Wolfpack85

« Reply #18 on: 11 Sep 2014, 04:36 am »
Hello, I'm looking for a new pair of speakers and would like some advice on what would suit me the best. 

Over the years I've owned speakers cut from many different molds.  I've had a couple pair of Maggies, some front loaded Lowthers, Acapella horns, and speakers from Dali, Vienna Acoustics, and Revel.  In their own way, I've enjoyed them all, but they all had weaknesses that eventually led me elsewhere.  I'm looking to get off the roller coaster, and find speakers that I can love for some time. 

I have a fairly large room, 20x28 with 12' cathedral ceiling, but I very rarely listen loud.  Normal use is evenings at low-mid volume.  My current amps, which I would like to keep, are a pair of Cary 211FE monoblocks. 

I'm looking for a speaker with great timing and pace, something that tracks the music quickly.  I also like a lively sound with plenty of resolution, but also smooth when the music calls for it.  I don't want bass blown out of proportion, but still to have depth and power to it.  And for music I listen to everything, metal to mandolin ... country to classical.  I need a speaker that does anything I throw at it well. 

I love the custom aspect of Vapor, my house, my car, my clothes are all custom.  But some help narrowing down the choices would be much appreciated. 

Thank you for your input.

It would be in your's and anyone else's best interest to get in touch with as many Vapor customers that you can find.

guest86232

« Reply #19 on: 11 Sep 2014, 05:02 am »
I have already spoke with Ryan at Vapor, we had about a 2 hour conversation actually.  I really appreciate the time he shared.  Unfortunately I live in Sedona and there aren't any Vapor owners near me, LA would be the closest.