WTB SST Ambrosia Preamp

rooze

WTB SST Ambrosia Preamp
« on: 6 Apr 2014, 02:56 am »
Looking for a Spread Spectrum Technologies Ambrosia - ideally with phono, but Linestage considered too.

Please pm if you have one for sale..

Cheers

Rooze

Rocket

Re: WTB SST Ambrosia Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2014, 07:07 am »
Hi Rooze,

What amplifier are you going to use with the preamplifier if you are able to source one for sale?

Regards Rod

rooze

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2014, 01:14 pm »
Hey Rod,
I have the SST Ampzilla 2000 monoblocks.

Cheers

Rooze

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2014, 04:41 am »
Hi Rooze,

Have you had problems with a buzzing transformer and blowing fuses in your Ampzilla 2000.  I have had so many problems with one of the mono blocks and been in contacted with Wyred 4 Sound (EJ and Clint) on and off since the company bought Spread Spectrum Technologies and they suggested using higher fast blow fuses.  Anyway the problematic amplifier has now totally blown as there was smoke coming from one of the fuse outlets on the top of the amplifier.  Luckily for me Wyred 4 Sound is going to cover it on warranty as it still had about 6 months left on it.  I have to ship it from the West coast of Australia.  I really like the sound of the amplifier and I would like to persevere with it until I get it fixed.

Anyway good luck with the search for an Ambrosia.

Regards Rod
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2014, 02:57 am by Rocket »

rooze

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2014, 12:41 pm »
Rod,

No, the amps have worked fine......touch wood  :o

I've rolled a LOT of amps over the past few years and these are the best I've heard. Worth persevering if you can get the problem fixed.

Clint seems like a good egg, he and I have communicated over a couple things related to the Ambrosia and he always seems on the ball.

Good luck with your fix!

Rooze

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2014, 03:03 am »
Hi Rooze,

I have also used a lot of amplifiers and prior to this amplifier and I used a Son of Ampzilla in my system previously.  I recently sold it to a friend for $2200US and he is very happy with the amplifier which is used to drive a pair of Salk Sound HT2's. Just checked tracking with the shipping company and the amplifier is currently in Los Angeles.  Not bad in less than two days.  Whilst it is in for repair I'm going to get them to replace the transformer for one of the newer one's because I also have bad buzzing from this one mono block.  Plus I'm going to get the new black silver logo for both of the amplifiers as well.

I'll cross my fingers that it will all be done under warranty.

Regards Rod

Ps I'd like to also purchase an Ambrosia but sadly I don't think I could ever afford one at its retail price.  I've heard whispers of a cheaper preamplifier under the Spread Spectrum Technologies brand.  I'll keep an eye on this development.

rooze

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2014, 12:59 pm »
Hello Rod,

I hadn't heard about the less expensive Ambrosia in the pipeline. I did get an email from Walter, the SST dealer, who reckons the Wyred 4 Sound preamp with level 2 upgrades sounds as good as the Ambrosia. But it doesn't have the phono, which I need.

Have you found a preamp that pairs well with the 2000's?

Rooze

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2014, 03:39 am »
Hi Rooze,

I had considered the modified Wyred 4 Sound preamp but I think it looks a bit plain in comparison to the Ampzilla 2000's and I think it would be a bit of a mismatch in looks for my system (yep I'm an audio snob).  I've been told that EJ is developing a new version of the Theobe preamplifier which was a name previously used by James Bongiorno of an older design that he made years ago.  I've been told that it should be finished sometime this year by Underwood Hifi.  I'm using a modified N.E.W. P3 preamplifier with the SST's and they seem to match  very well together.   I guess unless I compare it directly with another product I'll never know how much improvement I could achieve with replacing the preamplifier.  I live in the far west of Australia and I don't get much of an opportunity to hear audiophile gear unless I take a punt and buy it without listening to a demo unit.

I'll sit back and wait for the Theobe to come out and then decide whether to purchase it as I'm in no rush and I'm not flush with money as I recently upgraded my speakers to Salk Sound HT3's.   I trust that Wyred 4 sound can make a good preamplifier to match my system and I was also told that it will retail for about $3000US. 

What preamp are you currently using in your system?

Regards Rod

rooze

« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2014, 03:09 pm »
Hey Rod,

I have a Supratek Chenin, made by a bloke down-under....could be a distant cousin of yours?  :D

Seriously though, I had no idea how good the 2000's are until I went direct from CD to amp, bypassing the preamp. Although the Supratek is a very good preamp, it doesn't let the signal through without adding a fair amount of its own character. In other words, it's hardly neutral, as can be said of most preamps, particularly the tubed variety.
What I liked about the W4S description (on their website) was that it acts in a kind of 'active-passive' mode, and does very little to the signal other than giving a gain boost and adding a little more 'substance' to the notes, which is lacking when going CD direct. As you say though, it isn't the most attractive unit, in fact it looks a bit 'cheap' on the outside.

So I'm sitting patiently waiting to see if any Ambrosia owners want to part with their little gem. It doesn't happen very often though. From what I can find on Audiogon and USAudiomart, there have only been two hitting the used market in the last couple years or so. I'm hoping that Walter (Underwood) may find me a trade deal that I can't refuse....it hasn't happened yet!

Cheers

Rooze

Rocket

« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2014, 12:45 am »
Hi Rooze,

I've bought a few products from Walter over many years including my Ampzilla 2000's and he is pretty fair to deal with.  Supratek was a company formed by a local person in Perth, who then moved to Margaret River and is a small country town about 200 miles south of Perth.  Rumour has it that he made quite a few million dollars selling his preamplifiers all over the world.  Unfortunately the aussie dollar gained about 50% in value over the years and he didn't make as much profit from when he first began making components.  I've been told he still makes the odd preamplifier.

I have heard one of his preamps and it certainly had a nice sound.  Good luck with your search the last Ambrosia that I saw I think was selling for about $3500US though was a first generation version with a fan.

Regards

Rod

ps.  my amplifier arrived at WYRED 4 Sound which was a really fast delivery time. 

fdottore

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2014, 03:19 pm »
I have a SST Ambrosia Preamp with phono, black. lookin to get $4,200.

Rocket

« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2015, 01:07 pm »
Hi Rooze,

Just wondering whether you bought an Ambrosia preamplifier?  I see that Spread Spectrum Technologies has released the Theobe II preamplifier for $3000USD.  Since I had EJ repair my problematic ampzilla mono block the amps are totally stable and I haven't blown a fuse for a year (touch wood).  I'm using a Red Wine Audio Isabella preamplifier with very good results with the Ampzilla and Salk Sound Ht3 combination. 

I think I'll keep the Isabella for quite a while in my system.

Cheers Rod

rancew

« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2015, 06:46 pm »
I had an Ambrosia preamp, along with a pair of Ampzilla 2000 monoblocks.  Both first edition.

Might have been the best preamp I ever had.  Sold several years ago due to "upgraditis" and also the slightly annoying faint "click" when adjusting volume, bass or treble.  I understand that this was improved on (perhaps eliminated?) and the fan eliminated with the 2nd edition Ambrosia.

Wish the Wyred guys would redo the cosmetics on these to match the new Thoebe pre and Son of Ampzilla MK2 -- much cleaner look without the old "Star Trek" emblem.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2015, 07:10 pm by rancew »

Rocket

« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2015, 01:32 am »
Hi,

I like the looks of the Ambrosia but I understand that we all have different tastes :).  I have replaced my N.E.W. P3 with a Red Wine Audio Isabella preamplifier that works very well with the Ampzilla 2000 mono blocks.  Sure would like to purchase an Ambrosia though but not sure if I can ever afford one now.

Cheers Rod

ricmon

« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2016, 06:57 pm »
Guys...I just missed the Ambrosia on Audiogon today....bummer!!  If any one sees another one of these please post.

thanks
Ric

ricmon

« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2016, 01:59 pm »
Gentlemen I finally got my Ambrosia SE.  Found one on Audiogon for a good price.  It should arrive this Friday just in time for the Memorial Day weekend.  SUPER siked  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:!

Ric

Rocket

« Reply #16 on: 20 Nov 2019, 01:47 pm »
Hi Guys,

A very old post but I wanted to let everyone know of my large spend.  I bought an Ambrosia with phono stage on special through Underwood Hifi.  I already have the monster ampzilla 2000 mono blocks.

Putting my system back together after my divorce and decided to spend some of my money on me.  I have a new smaller house and will use a room for my salk sound ht 3's and spread spectrum technologies products.

I'll let you know what I think we the system is up and running.

Cheers Rod

GregC

« Reply #17 on: 2 Dec 2019, 11:41 pm »
Hi Guys,

A very old post but I wanted to let everyone know of my large spend.  I bought an Ambrosia with phono stage on special through Underwood Hifi.  I already have the monster ampzilla 2000 mono blocks.

Putting my system back together after my divorce and decided to spend some of my money on me.  I have a new smaller house and will use a room for my salk sound ht 3's and spread spectrum technologies products.

Cheers Rod

Congratulations, I have been using the SST Ambrosia (with phono stage) for the last four years and I remain impressed by the features and performance. 

ricmon

« Reply #18 on: 3 Dec 2019, 08:42 pm »
Hi Guys,

Cheers Rod

Loving mine with phone as well.  Mine is paired with the Ampzilla 2000 SE' bi-amping a pair of Lipinski L707's.  So the SST stack is all SE  :D

Ric

Rocket

« Reply #19 on: 5 Dec 2019, 01:29 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm sure I won't be disappointed with the Ambrosia. I need to now purchase a good quality cartridge to match with my new Bryston turntable. Need to wait for the new year for the next purchase.

Cheers Rod