First Watt amps

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
Re: First Watt amps
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jan 2014, 02:25 pm »
Hi all
been on the hunt for an amp my newly acquired Cornwalls. Plenty of good suggestions from friends suggesting tubes for my Cornwalls but what about First Watt amp? I'll be using a Dehavilland Ultra 3 as a preamp.

Any experiences anyone would like to share?

Hi Emil,

Let's say you're like me and have a decent understanding of physics and electro-acoustics, mildly allergic to audiophoolery silliness, coupled with no irresistible urge to drop $5k on a 10 watt amp. But you want something SS that operates somewhat like a tube amp. Say, a power transconductance amplifier. For speakers with >100db/watt sensitivity. Basically a magnifying glass for low level linearity (first 0.1 watt), which may or may not be of psycho-acoustic importance to you. What to do?
I contacted this company http://www.abacus-electronics.com/32-1-Amplifiers.html and had them modify this amp http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/abacus/ampino.html to my needs, including of course 120v compatibility.
The spring clip>banana terminals surgery must be self performed, but otherwise ready to go out of box, if bare wire connection one end is ok.
No noise, excessive heat, unreliability or quirkiness so far.
Just music....if that's your thing.
My 2c

cheers,

AJ

Freo-1

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2014, 02:32 pm »
Got an email from Mark at Reno HiFi

The F3 cannot be driven by most tube preamps. Solid state is fine.

Ask Mark about the M2 with a tube preamp. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jan 2014, 04:02 pm »
Good call on getting in touch with Mark at Reno HiFi. Meant to recommend that earlier. Mark is a great guy to work with.

Even though some folks aren't a fan of their style, I'd also recommend reading the 6moons FirstWatt reviews. They do capture the differences between the amps quite well.

As for the M2, it may be a good match due to the in-your-face quality that Klipsch speakers tend to have, but if that immediacy is not something you want to tame at all then the M2 wouldn't be for you. Really does come down to personal preference once you get the technical compatibility figured out. The M2 tends to soften things, for better or worse (impact of the autoformers, IIRC). So in combination with tubes, with your system and your speakers, that may or may not be a good thing.

Emil

« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan 2014, 05:29 pm »
Roscoeii makes a good point.
Ive been using a McCormack DNA 225, considered one of the more non solid  state sounding solid state amps, with the cornwalls. I wouldn't characterize the sound from the Cornwalls as shouty but rather thin in the midrange. The M2s may just be the balance I may be looking for.

Freo
Mark says the M2 is fine with tube preamps.

Freo-1

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2014, 07:16 pm »
Roscoeii makes a good point.
Ive been using a McCormack DNA 225, considered one of the more non solid  state sounding solid state amps, with the cornwalls. I wouldn't characterize the sound from the Cornwalls as shouty but rather thin in the midrange. The M2s may just be the balance I may be looking for.

Freo
Mark says the M2 is fine with tube preamps.

I rather thought it would be.  The M2 is my favorite of the First Watt amps, and I would think it would sound great with your setup.

roscoeiii

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan 2014, 07:26 pm »
Funny, M2 was my least favorite.

Did I mention personal prefs and system synergy?

Emil

« Reply #26 on: 12 Jan 2014, 09:34 pm »
Freo and Roscolli

Can you tell me bit about your systems?

Emil

« Reply #27 on: 12 Jan 2014, 09:35 pm »
F3  :dunno:
F4 (although your preamp gain may be borderline if you like it loud)  :dunno:

SET  :thumb:
SEP  :thumb:

Lin

Maybe I should just pick up a pair Quicksilver Mid-Monos like I planned and be done :scratch:

Emil

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jan 2014, 09:37 pm »
Hi Emil,

Let's say you're like me and have a decent understanding of physics and electro-acoustics, mildly allergic to audiophoolery silliness, coupled with no irresistible urge to drop $5k on a 10 watt amp. But you want something SS that operates somewhat like a tube amp. Say, a power transconductance amplifier. For speakers with >100db/watt sensitivity. Basically a magnifying glass for low level linearity (first 0.1 watt), which may or may not be of psycho-acoustic importance to you. What to do?
I contacted this company http://www.abacus-electronics.com/32-1-Amplifiers.html and had them modify this amp http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/abacus/ampino.html to my needs, including of course 120v compatibility.
The spring clip>banana terminals surgery must be self performed, but otherwise ready to go out of box, if bare wire connection one end is ok.
No noise, excessive heat, unreliability or quirkiness so far.
Just music....if that's your thing.
My 2c

cheers,

AJ

Anyone get a chance to look at this Abacas amp?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2014, 09:43 pm »
Vintage, high efficiency speakers have tight/limited deep bass that synergies well with poorly damped tube amps.

Freo-1

« Reply #30 on: 12 Jan 2014, 09:59 pm »
Freo and Roscolli

Here is a thread that describes the M2 (and the system used)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104176.0

acresm22

« Reply #31 on: 13 Jan 2014, 11:23 am »
Not trying to muddy the waters with another suggestion, but you might want to consider the Clones Audio 25p. It's a faithful reproduction of the original 47labs Gaincard amp, and has gotten stellar reviews. As I recall, sixmoons paired its integrated sibling (the 25i) with a tube pre and LOVED the results.
I've not heard the Clones, but am strongly considering it to pair with my Klipsch LaScalas. I'm currently using a SET amp with the LaScalas and it's a great combination, but the Clones has me thinking about the possibilities...

roscoeiii

« Reply #32 on: 13 Jan 2014, 02:09 pm »
Freo and Roscolli

For F1-5, I has the hybrid Musical Fidelity  kW preamp, the First Watts and a pair of DIY speakers with Audio Nirvana 12 in drivers with super tweeters. The M2 was with my Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen IIs. The VR-4s are just a touch laid back for my tastes so M2 wasn't a great match.

jbtrio

« Reply #33 on: 14 Jan 2014, 12:06 am »
Hey Emil,

I have a First Watt J2. If you want to borrow it, let me know. It is an excellent amp. Sounded very good with my Zu Druid V's.
I use it as my backup amp. My Coincident Frankenstein 300b Mk.2 edged it out IMS.

Joe

OzarkTom

« Reply #34 on: 14 Jan 2014, 04:00 am »
I saw the other day that Reno Hifi had a used M2 for 1595.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #35 on: 17 Jan 2014, 02:14 am »
Not exactly a First Watt, more of a first (and only) 2 watts amp.
http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1362947485

OzarkTom

« Reply #36 on: 17 Jan 2014, 02:23 am »
Not exactly a First Watt, more of a first (and only) 2 watts amp.
http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1362947485

That would be too much power for those new $99k Tannoys at 135db efficiency with one watt.

hgao3xbolt

« Reply #37 on: 20 Jun 2014, 11:52 am »
Built a modified F5 Turbo V3 geared towards 4 ohm loads (lower voltage, higher current to extend Class A operation range).  Sound was significantly improved on Polk LSI15 (with upgraded crossover) versus using an Emotiva LPA-1 and a restored Phase Linear 700B. 

Blackie_2

« Reply #38 on: 16 Apr 2015, 07:23 am »
Anyone tried First Watt amps with Zu speakers from the USA or any of the Rethm speakers from India?

doggie

« Reply #39 on: 4 Jun 2015, 09:28 pm »
I replaced my FW J2 with the SIT2 and it is a wonderful combination with my Omega Super 6 Alnicos.

10 watts of extremely clear engaging sound...