open baffle speaker comparison

bhuff

open baffle speaker comparison
« on: 22 May 2013, 05:32 pm »
Hello
After owning and auditioning many different box speakers, I'm contemplating an OB type speaker.  Has anybody compared any of John Busch's Manzanita speakers to Hawthorne audio Sterling silver Iris solo's or duets?  I've read many threads here and on the DIY forum but have found no comparisons.

JBspeakerman

Re: open baffle speaker comparison
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2013, 01:58 am »
bhuff

Thought I would chime in as its been a week of silence.  The Hawthorn offerings generally are efficient, and mid range dominate, but at the cost of deep bass extension and smoothness.  With the right set up, electronics and source material they can and are enjoyable. 

The Manzanita family is, by intension, smoother, less efficient and usually offer one or more octaves of additional bass extension.  Each design has its merits.  I am, of course VERY prejudice... and you will take that into account.

The Hawthorne designs seem to have a robust following, which implies they do more right than wrong.  For a few years at LSAF there have been rooms with various Hawthorn set ups as well as several of my Manzanita designs.  Both have been well received. 

Clear as mud... right!!

You just have to spend time with both designs and then and only then can a meaningful comparison be made.  Not easy to do.

bhuff

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2013, 03:11 pm »
Thanks JB Speakerman
Perhaps I should have asked, who in Michigan has heard or own one of the Manzanita type speakers.

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2013, 04:33 pm »
I was the guy to demo the Hawthornes at LSAF.   I'm also a friend of John's.   :?
I liked the midrange of the Hawthornes better.  They are also quite a bit more efficient, but can get shouty at certain freqs.
The Sterling Silver series is reported not to have that issue.
The bass from John's speakers is more seamless, and deeper (without the Augies)

Also, because John's speakers were taller than my Duets, the tweeter was placed on a better plane for a larger soundstage.

John and Darrel are both great guys - just reach out to them and ask your questions - they'll help you find the right one for you.

bhuff

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2013, 06:15 pm »
Brad
Thank you for responding.  At LSAF, were you able to listen to John's new Ultra Plus?  How tall is your baffle for the Duet? What size drivers are you using?  What made you decide to use hawthorne drivers over the many DIY choices available?  I will be auditioning the Hawthorne speaker line soon at their facility.  I would like to hear some of John's speakers as well but distance is an issue.

Brad

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2013, 07:05 pm »
I was quite impressed with John's new Ultra Plus speakers.
I made him play the intro to Judas Priest's Out in the Cold, and it was quite convincing
Tom Russell also sounded superb on the Ultra Pluses.

My Duets are appx 35" high

At the time I bought these I wanted something plug/play to find out what all the OB fuss was about.
Darrel was a great guy to deal with.    AudioFred built some plain mdf baffles for me and I really loved the OB presentation, especially the realism in the bass.
I had Darrel @ Hawthorne build me a pair of Duet baffles in a Quad-style look with solid maple.
Drove them with several different amps (Scott, Redwine, Eddie Vaughn)

I have not heard the Hawthorne Sterling Silvers or the new Rainiers, but I would imagine they are a nice step up from the Performance Series.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2013, 11:26 pm »
.....who in Michigan has heard or own one of the Manzanita type speakers.
If you live in Michigan, that's where Darrel and Diana Hawthorne are located. They're currently building a new listening room.
I have no doubt that if you ask, they'd be willing to give you a listen.

Bob (Hawthorne Audio fanatic)

Brad

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2013, 11:42 pm »
Hey Bob,

Bhuff says in the post above that they have made plans to audition with Hawthorne.
They also wanted to hear the Manzanitas.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2013, 12:39 am »
My wife tells me I don't listen to her either.
I guess that means you guys aren't any more special than she is.  :wink:

Bob - So broke, I can't even pay attention