News Flash - FBI Raids Mafia !!!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« on: 13 Jul 2004, 01:49 am »
Hey Guys,
    Got your attention... :lol: ...Just wondering what's going on in Denver. Your circle's been quiet, thought you might all be out with Tyson sampling the many scotch's he's been reviewing! Anything on the horizon...meetings, gear, shows....what's up ?? :) [/list:u]

BradJudy

« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2004, 03:37 am »
Yeah, this circle has been very quiet of late.  

AV123 is having a get-together here in early August, but it's a limited attendance event and it filled up in the first couple of days.  It should be an interesting view/preview of their products and hospitality.  I'll be sure to post a bunch of pics afterward (as will others I'm sure). (See this for details - http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3438)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2004, 04:31 am »
Well, not many get togethers, although there is a rumor that Gerry (Turk) is gonna invite us over to hear his new GR Research Alpha's, I'm looking forward to that!  Part of the reason I've not been posting much is I'm pretty darn happy w/both my 2 channel setup, and also my HT setup.  Plus I'm saving up to buy an overhead projector for the HT room w/in the year.  And, I'm about to get the Rev 5 upgrade for my AVA 550exr amp.  What else, well mainly I've been doing a lot of research/listening to headphones (bought some Sensaphonics 2x-S custom in-ear monitors), and trying to figure out which MP3 player I'm going to buy (probably a 40 gig Rio Karma 2, whenever they come out).  

Besides, its aaaall good after the 2nd glass of scotch  :smoke:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2004, 04:42 am »
What did you end up doing with the modded Panny?  Did you decide it didn't make the grade in your He-Man rig?

Tyson

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2004, 05:02 am »
Yeah, I decided a couple of days ago the Panny is staying in the HT, which means my Acurus Act 3 and my solid state AVA amps (one 3 channel and one 2 channel Omegastar amps) are going up for sale soon.  Ultimately the Panny was exceedingly smooth and clear, but had a bit of coldness to the sound that I just felt would work better in my HT than my 2 channel setup.  But the fact that I seriously considered putting it in my 2 channel setup says a lot about how good it is.  Hell, the fact that it's kicking out the Act 3 and the Omegastars says a lot in and of itself.  It'll be wierd to have all that rack space freed up once those components are gone.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2004, 05:29 am »
Did Bybees help at all?  It's a shame the Panny didn't end up doing it for you- think of the electricity/money you'd save!  :lol:

BradJudy

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2004, 01:56 pm »
Tyson,

I have an iRiver H-120 if you want to try/hear one of those.

PeteG

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2004, 12:28 am »
Quote from: Tyson
Well, not many get togethers, although there is a rumor that Gerry (Turk) is gonna invite us over to hear his new GR Research Alpha's, I'm looking forward to that! ( ...

Wow, just seen this. Last I remember Gerry had a pair of RM/X on order.
Look's like Mike did a good job on the Alpha's. I've been having fun putting a audio system and performance upgrades in my car, this is the first real stereo in my car for me. I've never really listened to alot of music in the car (talk radio/sports talk) but now I'm really enjoying the music. Still not done yet.

I've been happy enough with my 2ch to leave it alone for a while.

sunshinedawg

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2004, 02:38 am »
I've just been enjoying my Bolder modded 45 too much!  :D

Tyson, what screen/proj combos are you looking at?

Tyson

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2004, 04:04 am »
Nothing yet, I'm still in the "saving up" stage.  Its going to be 9 months to a year, and with digital projector technology moving so quickly, I'm still about 6 months away from hardcore research mode.  Are you still set up with the partition for 2 channel listening?

sunshinedawg

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2004, 04:23 am »
Yep, I've tried a dozen or so different setups and it still sounds better with the partition.   I need to finish my room treatments and then audition some speaker level bybees.  Money has been a lttle tight so I'm in no rush.

mgalusha

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2004, 04:02 am »
It has been pretty quiet lately. I think Jerry is planning a BBQ/Listening Party sometime in the next few weeks. He's finally getting his room damped a bit. It'll be interesting to hear how the Alphas sound in the room with some bass control and how the RM-40's respond as well.

I've been doing lots of home improvement this summer leaving too little time for all the DIY audio projects percolating in my head. I have been working on scratch building yet another preamp and have had most of the parts for two months and am just know getting it put together. I have managed to graft a high end TKD volume pot to the motor and gear drive unit from an inexpensive Alpha motoroized pot. In theory is should be about as good as it gets for a motorized pot as I really wanted a remote for this preamp and I desired better quality than the Alps motorized pot but didn't want a stepped attenuator. I'll post pics of the Frankenstein pot in the Lab Circle one of these days, just have to pull them off the camera. It actually looks pretty good, almost like it was born that way. ;)

I have some ideas for a constrained layer TT shelf that I'll get around to building one of these days. Need to put an output stage back in my Marantz so I can use it in the headphone rig again. Have some ideas for modding my SC-150 amps for better sound. Have some high efficiency 12" EV drivers I'd like to build some cabinets around. Want to do some mods on my Extreme Monos. Way too many ideas and not enough time to do them all. At least it's not boring. :)

Mike

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: News Flash - FBI Raids Mafia !!!
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2004, 02:34 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Hey Guys,
    Got your attention... :lol: ...Just wondering what's going on in Denver. Your circle's been quiet, thought you might all be out with Tyson sampling the many scotch's he's been reviewing! Anything on the horizon...meetings, gear, shows....what's up ?? :) [/list:u]
Goes to show you what results when a few members get-together...sparks fly... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=11897 ... :thumb: