TBI Millenia MG3 Mk II amp tour-Round Two

genjamon

Re: TBI Millenia MG3 Mk II amp tour-Round Two
« Reply #80 on: 21 May 2013, 12:33 am »
The TBI had a little more presence in the mids only. But overall the Ncores had more detail and presence except in the lower mids.

Yep, that's what I heard with my ncores as well.

raysracing

« Reply #81 on: 24 May 2013, 04:24 pm »
As I am on the fence about selling my speakers due to their (my perception) need for higher end electronics, can you please sign me up? $500 for an amplifier or sell my speakers at a $500 loss seems like a wash.

Thank you and I am in the Cleveland, Ohio area.

On the subject of thenCore mono amps would someone mind PM me schematics? I wold like to also have the option to build too.

Thanks,
Ray

wisnon

« Reply #82 on: 24 May 2013, 08:34 pm »
Ray,

Why sell the Lores when you may LOVE the Millenia Mk2???

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #83 on: 24 May 2013, 09:51 pm »
As I am on the fence about selling my speakers due to their (my perception) need for higher end electronics, can you please sign me up? $500 for an amplifier or sell my speakers at a $500 loss seems like a wash.

Thank you and I am in the Cleveland, Ohio area.

On the subject of thenCore mono amps would someone mind PM me schematics? I wold like to also have the option to build too.

Thanks,
Ray

Ray,

I sent you a pm, so as to keep this on topic, given that NCore isn't a low wattage amplifier.

Check your My Messages box...

Best,
Anand.

Freo-1

« Reply #84 on: 24 May 2013, 10:16 pm »
Comparing Ncore and the TBI amp is not apples to apples.  The TBI is a low(er) wattage amp, while the Ncore is a obviously a high power amp.  The speakers that mate well with the TBI need to have sufficient efficiency to work correctly. 

I realize I'm stating the obvious, but the take away is:  Comparing these two amps is an exercise in futility.   

raysracing

« Reply #85 on: 25 May 2013, 10:50 pm »
Ray,

Why sell the Lores when you may LOVE the Millenia Mk2???

Sorry for not being clear. What I meant was if I bought an amp for $500 it would be about what I would lose if I sold the speakers. I currently am enjoying my $99 Pioneer speakers over the Lores which is fine, but seems wrong given the Lores reputation.

OzarkTom

« Reply #86 on: 26 May 2013, 01:32 am »
Sorry for not being clear. What I meant was if I bought an amp for $500 it would be about what I would lose if I sold the speakers. I currently am enjoying my $99 Pioneer speakers over the Lores which is fine, but seems wrong given the Lores reputation.

What model number are those Pioneers? I would love to find a bargain basement in loudspeakers.

genjamon

« Reply #87 on: 26 May 2013, 03:34 am »
Comparing Ncore and the TBI amp is not apples to apples.  The TBI is a low(er) wattage amp, while the Ncore is a obviously a high power amp.  The speakers that mate well with the TBI need to have sufficient efficiency to work correctly. 

I realize I'm stating the obvious, but the take away is:  Comparing these two amps is an exercise in futility.

It's not an exercise in futility if you have high efficiency speakers that you're using to compare the two....

Granted, they are designed for different system contexts, but the Ncore has proven itself very linear across its power band, and doesn't need high volume/power levels to come alive.  I don't see any reason why someone can't compare their sound signatures on a high efficiency rig.  As two of the latest high quality digital amp offerings, it seems a pretty good thing to compare them in my opinion.

And I'm quite encouraged that the two of us on this tour that have been able to compare them came to quite similar conclusions. The amps have quite different presentations, both really good in their own ways. The TBI excels in the midrange and has a bit more forward of a presentation, while the Ncore gives better resolved highs and lows and better soundstage depth.

But most prospective buyers of the TBI likely won't be considering the Ncores, so I can see why this wouldn't be the end-all, be-all of comparisons in the tour.

raysracing

« Reply #88 on: 26 May 2013, 12:57 pm »
What model number are those Pioneers? I would love to find a bargain basement in loudspeakers.

I see you found them. Enjoy.

Freo-1

« Reply #89 on: 26 May 2013, 04:04 pm »
It's not an exercise in futility if you have high efficiency speakers that you're using to compare the two....

Granted, they are designed for different system contexts, but the Ncore has proven itself very linear across its power band, and doesn't need high volume/power levels to come alive.  I don't see any reason why someone can't compare their sound signatures on a high efficiency rig.  As two of the latest high quality digital amp offerings, it seems a pretty good thing to compare them in my opinion.

And I'm quite encouraged that the two of us on this tour that have been able to compare them came to quite similar conclusions. The amps have quite different presentations, both really good in their own ways. The TBI excels in the midrange and has a bit more forward of a presentation, while the Ncore gives better resolved highs and lows and better soundstage depth.

But most prospective buyers of the TBI likely won't be considering the Ncores, so I can see why this wouldn't be the end-all, be-all of comparisons in the tour.

I roger your points, but none the less, comparing a 200 watt amp to a 32/18 watt amp is still apples and oranges.  Having said that, would think the competition/comparisons to the TBI would be more along the lines of low power tube amps, First Watt, Valvet, etc.
The Ncore is better compared to higher power amps regardless of topology.  I realize a lot of people on AC are rather taken with Ncores, but they are by no means universally accepted across the audio community as a product they would consider owning or using.

genjamon

« Reply #90 on: 27 May 2013, 12:17 am »

I roger your points, but none the less, comparing a 200 watt amp to a 32/18 watt amp is still apples and oranges.  Having said that, would think the competition/comparisons to the TBI would be more along the lines of low power tube amps, First Watt, Valvet, etc.
The Ncore is better compared to higher power amps regardless of topology.  I realize a lot of people on AC are rather taken with Ncores, but they are by no means universally accepted across the audio community as a product they would consider owning or using.

Agreed

roscoeiii

« Reply #91 on: 27 May 2013, 03:40 am »
Looks like the TBI tour and Vapor Breeze tour are going to overlap at my place. So even more speakers to try out the TBI on!

Stay tuned.

apollophono

« Reply #92 on: 29 May 2013, 09:44 pm »
Anybody have MMG's to try this time.  We still haven't heard any review with
them.  I'm using mine with Cambridge Audio S30's that I love so far. 
A little rolled off on top end but everything else is fine.

OzarkTom

« Reply #93 on: 11 Jun 2013, 04:06 am »
My buddy Rex found a King Rex 12v linear power supply sitting in his closet and hooked it up to the TBI. Rex wants me to hear this, so I am heading up to his house over the Fourth of July weekend. This should be interesting.

rodge827

« Reply #94 on: 11 Jun 2013, 11:33 am »
I had asked about the King Rex over in the Power Conditioning Circle a few weeks ago.
No responses yet, so I'm very interested in your findings.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=117034.0

Has anyone tried a Teddy Pardo PS?

http://teddypardo.com/Products/Power%20Supplies/PowerSuppliesForOther.html

Chris

OzarkTom

« Reply #95 on: 11 Jun 2013, 12:19 pm »
Rex does not have the MkII version of the King Rex so that one might even be better.

Here is one that I am looking at, Little Pinkie PS. He even makes one for 24v which I need for the 84db speakers that I am running. Price of this one looks even better than most of the others and it looks very well built.

http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/musical-fidelity-vcan-vdac-vlps-power-supply.html

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #96 on: 12 Jun 2013, 03:07 am »
I had the amp a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. I was really surprised how well they drove my Ariel 7Bs which are not efficient at all but I wouldn't be able to live with the lack of volume on a regular basis. I purchased the last Super V kit from Danny but don't have them built yet and was wondering if anyone can tell me how much more output I would get if I purchased 2 of the amps and ran them in mono. Also, do they have a jumper to bridge them or do they just put out more power because they are only driving one speaker?

Thanks,

Greg

OzarkTom

« Reply #97 on: 12 Jun 2013, 03:28 am »
I had the amp a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. I was really surprised how well they drove my Ariel 7Bs which are not efficient at all but I wouldn't be able to live with the lack of volume on a regular basis. I purchased the last Super V kit from Danny but don't have them built yet and was wondering if anyone can tell me how much more output I would get if I purchased 2 of the amps and ran them in mono. Also, do they have a jumper to bridge them or do they just put out more power because they are only driving one speaker?

Thanks,

Greg

The TBI puts out 20 percent more with the amps as mono. Just use one channel of the amp and short out the other channel. The shorting does make an improvement in sound.  This would give about 40WPC on 24v AC or battery and that should be very loud with the Super V's. I believe the Super V's are at least 95db efficiency?

OzarkTom

« Reply #98 on: 12 Jun 2013, 03:31 am »
Rex does not have the MkII version of the King Rex so that one might even be better.

Here is one that I am looking at, Little Pinkie PS. He even makes one for 24v which I need for the 84db speakers that I am running. Price of this one looks even better than most of the others and it looks very well built.

http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/musical-fidelity-vcan-vdac-vlps-power-supply.html

I did email Mike on his Little Pinkie PS and he said it is only good for 1 amp.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #99 on: 12 Jun 2013, 04:13 am »
The TBI puts out 20 percent more with the amps as mono. Just use one channel of the amp and short out the other channel. The shorting does make an improvement in sound.  This would give about 40WPC on 24v AC or battery and that should be very loud with the Super V's. I believe the Super V's are at least 95db efficiency?

Thank's Tom, The Super v is 97db and an easy 8 ohm load, so I don't think I would need 2 amps for them. But, I'm really busy this summer so don't know if I will have time to build them anytime soon. I guess I'm wondering if there is any benefit to having 2 amps with the Super V's? I guess I can just try them both ways and decide then.