I think my water is unhealthy, what do I do?

TheChairGuy

Re: I think my water is unhealthy, what do I do?
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2013, 05:31 am »
We just buy bottled spring water now.

Flouride is difficult to filter out...and there's increasing information on it as a cause a very many health issues.

Personal story: our cat had ulcers around his mouth for about a year - we changed out all his food to no avail (cylcing out all the common allergens) - had a conversation with a very informative guy at the pet place who suggested eliminating common drinking water for Stripey.

2 weeks later - no flourine, no more mouth ulcers.  The Veternarian was shocked that it took so little time to heal as they hadn't run into Flourine as a trigger before (the pet store guy sure had, so I don't know why the very busy Vet office wouldn't have access to the same kind of info)

Anyhow, if it's causing ulcers for fellow mammal felines....you can bet it's doing some destructive stuff to humans, too.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2013, 06:05 am »
Yes, it's a commie plot to sap and impurify our Precious Bodily Fluids.  I'm glad you are able to identify your loss of essence is from fluoridation. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY

There may be about a zillion other reasons why your drinking water is causing problems for your dear kitty.  Fluoridation would be way down on the list.  My GF is a Pharmaceutical Chemist whose present job (among about six others they load her down with) is water purification for a large pharmaceutical plant where the testing has to pass FDA inspection.  I'm sure she could supply a list of possible candidates, but it would be so much easier to just give the kitty and yourself filtered water.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #22 on: 31 Jan 2013, 06:27 am »
Want minerals eat some dirt.

Funny you should say that ....in the news......."Japanese restaurant serves up $110 dirt meal"

Folsom

« Reply #23 on: 31 Jan 2013, 08:11 am »
There is no fluoride here, so that isn't it.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia

Doublej

« Reply #25 on: 31 Jan 2013, 11:54 am »
Move? Is it possible that whatever undiagnosed condition or disease you have is simply getting worse?

It not about simply purifying your drinking water, you'll want a shower filter as well to keep the toxins off your skin.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #26 on: 31 Jan 2013, 12:34 pm »
As others have stated, the health issues in your building could be triggered by a variety of sources
But this does not rule out water.. have the water checked for bacteria and for VO...volatile organics...vo's are nasty chemicals that get into our water from sources like gas stations with leaky tanks or industrial waste etc. This will cost you, around $200 I recall, but if there is a problem it needs to be addressed,, worry about the money later. I had my well water tested and was surprised the things that were in it that should not be,,but were deemed "safe amounts" measured in PPB..parts per billion.   Greg

TheChairGuy

« Reply #27 on: 31 Jan 2013, 01:27 pm »
Dan,

You're being a real, haughty, know-it-all DICK now...please stop it. Or, I'll respond about equally dickish and this helpful topic will be polluted with our tiff.

I was the PUR rep in the Mid-Atlantic for several years - neither Brita nor PUR filter out flouride. Reverse Osmosis does, but for that expenditure we can buy a lot of bottled spring water so that's the route we've gone - as pointed out in my post.

Flourine and flouride are violatile gasses and much is and has been written about deleterious effects on humans (and equally to cats it appears in our case)

OP now indicates his water supply has no fluoridation so its moot in his case. 

John

Yes, it's a commie plot to sap and impurify our Precious Bodily Fluids.  I'm glad you are able to identify your loss of essence is from fluoridation. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY

There may be about a zillion other reasons why your drinking water is causing problems for your dear kitty.  Fluoridation would be way down on the list.  My GF is a Pharmaceutical Chemist whose present job (among about six others they load her down with) is water purification for a large pharmaceutical plant where the testing has to pass FDA inspection.  I'm sure she could supply a list of possible candidates, but it would be so much easier to just give the kitty and yourself filtered water.

WerTicus

« Reply #28 on: 31 Jan 2013, 01:43 pm »
$100 will get you a decent reverse osmosis filter + two carbon filters and all the plumbing you need to hook it up.

Just do it already.

You can remineralise the water if you want but you dont need minerals in you water if your getting them from food.

stevenkelby

« Reply #29 on: 31 Jan 2013, 01:49 pm »
John,

Psuedo science gets a lot of people fired up :)

Believing things that aren't true might seem harmless, but it's not.

Flourine and flouride are violatile gasses and much is and has been written about deleterious effects on humans (and equally to cats it appears in our case)

Much more than that has been written about vaccines causing autism too, an even more harmful myth. At least depriving children of fluoride only rots their teeth, it doesn't cripple or kill them.

Saying that fluoride (or anything else) is bad for you without explaining the specific mechanism by which it is bad for you is akin to witchcraft. As a species we are growing out of that now, thanks to science.

Of course I might be wrong, fluoride might give you cancer or give your cat ulcers, but it probably doesn't.

Might you be wrong?

Steve.

decal

« Reply #30 on: 31 Jan 2013, 01:55 pm »
If you are really worried about this, shouldn't you be consulting a professional instead of seeking advice on an internet audio forum? Just curious.

stevenkelby

« Reply #31 on: 31 Jan 2013, 01:57 pm »
Agreed, and be careful who you trust!

Folsom

« Reply #32 on: 31 Jan 2013, 02:37 pm »
If you are really worried about this, shouldn't you be consulting a professional instead of seeking advice on an internet audio forum? Just curious.

Right, but I have to know what professional to go to. I'm calling the water company first.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #33 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:05 pm »
Hi.
We just buy bottled spring water now.

Flouride is difficult to filter out...and there's increasing information on it as a cause a very many health issues.

Where do you live with such floride problems?

If floride can be so harmful to your cat or even yourselves, why not try bulk bottles of ozonated distilled water, with zero floride in yr local grocery stores. Dirt cheap. 88cents for 4 litre bottle on sale.

We have no problem with our drinking water (I spent a grand to install an undersink osmosis filter system for a few years now) though we always boil it & cool it down before we drink it.

So I buy such ozonated distilled waters is not to drink as my undersink filter already does a good job.
For what? Exclusively for cleansing treatment of the recyled records I pick up dirt cheap from our favorite
drift store!!!

c-J

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #34 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:26 pm »
There is no fluoride here, so that isn't it.

Take a sample of the water and have it analyzed by a certified lab first. Then call the water company with proof.

charles

cheap-Jack

« Reply #35 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:36 pm »
Hi.
   Take a sample of the water and have it analyzed by a certified lab first. Then call the water company with proof.

That's will be hell a big deal, my friend.
Only a cat getting sick.

c-J

bregez

« Reply #36 on: 31 Jan 2013, 04:14 pm »
A few other things to consider is since you live in an old building it may have a lead water service, the galvanized plumbing may also be contributing to some possible heavy metal contaminants in your water.

Is the source of your water from the surface or well?

Surface water treatment facilities do a great job of cleaning the water.  However, recently there has been a problem of pharmaceuticals found in the drinking water supply.  Your typical water treatment facility currently does not have the ability to remove all of these.  I guess people have been flushing their old medications down the toilet.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-10-drugs-tap-water_N.htm

If it is well water as mentioned before there might be NAPL's, DNAPL's, or radon present.

Folsom

« Reply #37 on: 31 Jan 2013, 04:40 pm »
Our water comes from an Aquifer that is very good. I think it is the building, not the supply.

Here is the water report for the area. (PDF)