Cryo cable tour...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Cryo cable tour...
« on: 22 Dec 2012, 08:12 pm »
OK,  here is the deal.  I will be building 3 pairs on generic RCA interconnects from Dayton Audio MSC microphone cable.  It is a very good value and makes great budget interconnects:  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=100-225

RCA connectors are Furutech FP-126(G): http://www.furutech.com/a2008/product2.asp?prodNo=86

I will build them in the standard manner used interconnects with 2-conductor + shield cable.  The shield will only be connected at the target end (source > destination)  and the direction will be determined by the printing on the cable.  Signal flow will be as we read: left to right. One or two will be cryoed.  That is part of the test.  Figure out which is which.

This is also a test of the ability to perceive, not just hear, as well as a questioning of paradigms.  Is there a difference?  Is it better?  Do I care?  Kind of a 'self confrontation' course in audio.

This tour will begin after the New Year.  I have to order in some of the cable.  What I have on hand is already cryoed (of course).

All you have to do to play is to pay the cost of shipping these to the next player.  I will kick it off by shipping them to Control (John) and he will in turn ship them to the next guy and so on.  Relate your results to Control via PM and he and I shall determine as to when we have a large enough sample to divulge the results.  From that point on the cables can circulate forever to demonstrate the effects of my proprietary cryogenic treatment on conductors.  It isn't just putting the wire in the tank.

Time to jump in.

Dave

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
Re: Cryo cable tour...
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2012, 08:21 pm »
I'm game. Your little requirement is understandable and very reasonable. It's a small price to pay for an experiment like this. I have one system built around an integrated (Marantz PM-11S1) in which that would be the only pair of interconnects in use. I'm quite curious, even if a bit dubious. :D

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2012, 08:30 pm »
You might think about cryoing as an assembly instead of doing the wire and the connector separately. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2012, 09:04 pm »
This should be interesting - looking forward to all of these experiments/tests which should cause some spirited comments and could change outlooks.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2012, 09:10 pm »
IN, please!

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2012, 09:16 pm »
Nice. I like the idea. I am in.

mikeeastman

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2012, 09:26 pm »
 :thumb: I'm in.

medium jim

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2012, 09:37 pm »
Put my name in the hopper!

Jim

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2012, 09:38 pm »
Kindly include me... I'll invite over some NY Metro area audiophiles to evaluate as well...

Sounds like fun, Dave! Thanks!

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 23 Dec 2012, 12:23 am »
Sign me up!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2012, 01:17 am »
You might think about cryoing as an assembly instead of doing the wire and the connector separately.
That is how I do things.  Of course I cryo completed assemblies.  It goes way beyond that though.  It is your basic, multi-step process.  OK, may be not so basic.   :)

Dave

Edit:  Cryogenic treatment can be easy - get it cold: -320F-ish.  That is the transition temperature of LN2, more or less.  Liquid He4 would be better at
-452ish, but it has gotten stupid expensive.  Thank the guv'mint for that. 

Cryo can also be more complex.  How long do you keep it cold?   Do you cycle it up and down?  Do you cryo virgin materials?  Do you cryo pre-stressed materials?  Do you  cryo parts while under stress?  Do you cryo everything after assembly?  Do you do all of the above? Or, do you do think any of this matters?   :scratch:

We'll see/hear, won't we?

Dave

carusoracer

« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2012, 02:51 am »
I'm in :thumb:

dflee

« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2012, 05:41 am »
Cryo me a river (frozen that is) to my door stop and I'll try them out
if you don't mind.

Don

medium jim

« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2012, 05:52 am »
Cryo me a river (frozen that is) to my door stop and I'll try them out
if you don't mind.

Don

I suppose it could have been worse, "Don't cryo for me Argentina..."

Jim

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2012, 06:11 am »
I'm in, sounds interesting...

DaveBSC

« Reply #15 on: 23 Dec 2012, 09:09 am »
You might want to try heating as well, that's what Siltech does as part of their "S.A.T.T." process. Or, blast it with ultra high-voltage ala Synergistic.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 23 Dec 2012, 02:26 pm »
Kindly include me... I'll invite over some NY Metro area audiophiles to evaluate as well...

Sounds like fun, Dave! Thanks!

I'm in only because we need an accurate uncolored resolving system to use.  :P   :lol:

charles

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #17 on: 23 Dec 2012, 04:13 pm »
You might want to try heating as well, that's what Siltech does as part of their "S.A.T.T." process. Or, blast it with ultra high-voltage ala Synergistic.
Like I said: I use a multi-step process.  It isn't just dunking the cable(s) or wire.  Heh, heh.

8)

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #18 on: 23 Dec 2012, 04:13 pm »

I'm in only because we need an accurate uncolored resolving system to use.  :P   :lol:

charles
:thumb:

« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2012, 07:22 pm by dBe »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #19 on: 23 Dec 2012, 07:21 pm »
Well, this is coming along nicely.

It should be fun and we'll see where this all goes.

Dave