Eyeglass lens material

Don_S

Eyeglass lens material
« on: 30 Nov 2012, 05:35 pm »
I need new glasses.  I am conflicted over the options available for lens material.   :scratch:

My concerns are scratch resistance and long term clarity.  I have always used glass for my main lenses and it has served me well.  My prescription is not high so I do not need thick lenses.  I don't mind the weight and my new glasses will have smaller lenses than my old glasses.

Still, I wonder if I am too much "old school".  My optician is pushing Trivex with a scratch "resistant" coating. I wear progressive lenses but I really see better close up without glasses so I tend to take them off a lot.  That means they get set aside and sometimes the conditions are not favorable like when I am doing carpentry work and measuring something.  I also like to spend time at the beach and in the mountains.  I pick up fine grit there and can't always clean my glasses before I swap them out with my sun glasses.

Many years ago I had some sort of plastic or polycarbonate lens with a coating and I had scratches within 30 days.  Fortunately I had a 30 day return option so I swapped for glass and had no problems.  Fast forward (really) a decade so what do I do now with new materials available?

I would appreciate personal and professional experiences.  Thanks.

Thirsty

Re: Eyeglass lens material
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2012, 06:41 pm »
I've been using Crizal lens for about 5 years now and have been very happy with them, clarity was a big step up from my old lens, Haven't had any trouble with them scratching but I use polycarbonate lens in my work glasses.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2012, 06:43 pm »
I have been using plastic lenses for years, although I do not know the name of the plastic.  I also opt for the "scratch coating" which should be called anti-scratch coating. Yes, you will get an occasional scratch (like 1 a year per lens) if you throw them down on the work bench after a minor cussing fit about getting old, but my dispenser offers a warranty that makes replacing very cheap (or free).  My total cost for new lenses is about $95 a pair.

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2012, 06:48 pm »
At the current cost and under a 2-year warranty policy, a pair of replacement lenses would cost $157.50.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2012, 07:15 pm »
Glass is breakable and can be dangerous.

Here are a couple of links.  One for eyeglass material: http://consumerreports.org/health/healthy-living/beauty-personal-care/shopping-for-eyeglasses/lens-lingo/index.htm

Here is a site that I have used that has a full range of lenses.  There is a whole page of different types and qualities of Trivex lenses :http://www.eyeglasslensdirect.com/Trivex-Progressive-Lenses-s/33.htm  I add this link because they aren't that forthcoming with info when you buy glasses.  You get what you pay for.

Get a quality anti scratch coating.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2012, 08:10 pm »
Hi.
I need new glasses.  I am conflicted over the options available for lens material.   :scratch:

My concerns are scratch resistance and long term clarity. 

Many years ago I had some sort of plastic or polycarbonate lens with a coating and I had scratches within 30 days.  Fortunately I had a 30 day return option so I swapped for glass and had no problems.  Fast forward (really) a decade so what do I do now with new materials available?

I would appreciate personal and professional experiences.  Thanks.

Yes, plastic lens are light to wear, but prone to get scratched even if it is polycarbonate lens with scratch-resistance coating.

Years back , I had a pair of presciption eyeglasses with polycarbonate lens plus coating from Costco which warrants for one year. Me being a sorta rough user, the lens was scratched & I got it replaced with new lens no charge even just after one year.  Excellent customer services from Costco!

Only a few months ago, I had a new pair of eyeglasses of a new prescription from Lenscrafters on special sale. Again with scratch-resistance coating on it. But I did not buy the $25 replacement warranty.

I got it scratched on my vacation trip. So I went back to Lenscrafter to replace it. I got the lens replaced & was only charged $25 instead of the full price. Why? I was allowed to add on the $25 replacement warranty which I did not buy at the first time of the eyeglasses purchase. Another example of excellent customer services.

c-J

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2012, 08:46 pm »
Gentlemen, thanks for all the info.

django11, I will check out those links this weekend.

cheap-Jack, I am not a Costco member but thanks for the push to check out Lenscrafters.  My medical provider, Kaiser, seems high-priced. I have a Medicare optical benefit through them.  I need to see if I can use it via an out-of-network provider.

I stopped at Stanton Optical.  They were cheap but I got scared when the manager came over and started using used-car-salesman tactics.  Later I checked online and found a Yelp rating of 1.5 stars (29 reviewers) for the store I stopped at. Scary.  I also noticed that one of the frames I looked was severely twisted.  The frame material was supposed to be the type of material that could take torture and bounce back. My current frames are Flexon and I have torqued them many times to show people how fantastic they are.  They always bounce back to perfect.  :thumb:  My next glasses will be the same or equal material.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2012, 08:59 pm »
Anyone not getting progressives should get them online at sites such as 39dollarglasses.  They have a "return them for any reason guarantee"  and even pay for the return shipping.  There is a bit of a learning curve involved in getting the right size frames.