Hum through speakers

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Hum through speakers
« Reply #20 on: 25 Dec 2012, 12:53 am »
Unfortunately the little 3 LED testers don't check for a Neutral & Safety Ground wire swap.  The lowest priced (self-contained) meter that will do tist test may be about $200. It can be tested for with an ordinary DMM and some other stuff. but I'm not sure we want to go there.

dlbeck

« Reply #21 on: 25 Dec 2012, 04:17 pm »
So while the kids tinkered with their Christmas gifts I went throughout the house and tested all the outlets.  No issues found. 

Thoughts for my next action?  Merry Christmas.

David

vortrex

« Reply #22 on: 25 Dec 2012, 05:00 pm »
I've got a hum issue too, which I didn't seem to have before.  in trying to figure out what might have changed, I remembered the power company came out and installed one of those smart meters.  any chance that could be causing it?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 25 Dec 2012, 05:15 pm »
If the meter base did not mate well, it could.  Had an issue with my meter as the connectors were corroded.  The power company came out and cleaned the contacts, reinstalled the meter and it was fine. 

Another thing is to try turning off all computers and dimmers and see if the problem goes away. 

That is more of a buzz issue than hum, but can be an issue with some transformers.

dlbeck

« Reply #24 on: 25 Dec 2012, 07:47 pm »
Dave - a do you think the Uber-buss would resolve the issue?

David

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #25 on: 25 Dec 2012, 09:56 pm »
Dave - a do you think the Uber-buss would resolve the issue?

David
No. An Über will not help the hum issue.  There is a core problem that you need to address first.  I think that you may need to call an electrician to find the source.  What you are describing is something that I would track down ASAP.  I don't want to worry you, but it looks like you may have an electrical problem that could be troublesome.  When it comes to power and gas we need to be very careful and safety oriented.  Spend your money getting things figured out before you send it my way.  I am very serious about electrical safety.

Dave

dlbeck

« Reply #26 on: 25 Dec 2012, 10:02 pm »
Thanks Dave. I'm going to tear a couple of the receptacles apart like you said and then call an electrician. 

Damn those hums!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #27 on: 27 Dec 2012, 04:24 pm »
  THANKS !! Removed receptacle feeding the Ubers. To my surprise loose wires. The ground and neutral loosened up. The slight hum which was there GONE !!  I thought it was the preamp power supply. Thank goodness I was wrong. Saved some money.

charles

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #28 on: 27 Dec 2012, 04:30 pm »
Cool ,guys.  I'm glad to hear that this thread helped.  That is why we are all here.

:thumb:

Dave