Buying a Classic on Ebay

williamsims

Buying a Classic on Ebay
« on: 16 Oct 2012, 03:46 am »
Hi, Everyone, I'm in the process of acquiring a second-hand Classic (probably on eBay), and I was planning to send it to Standalog for cleaning, updating etc.  Is that my best option?  I'd also like to send along a cartridge to be mounted.  This is my first experience with a Well Tempered  product, so I'd appreciate any advice any of you have to offer.

Thanks -- Bill Sims

threadkiller

Re: Buying a Classic on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2012, 08:04 pm »
Stanalog is done, as has been mentioned here many times. He has no affiliation with WTL.
Contact Mike Pranka at Dynavector USA if you have concerns...

williamsims

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2012, 08:57 pm »
Thanks for your helpful response -- I'll do just that.  As this is my first time using the forum, I obviously didn't know that this "has been mentioned here many times."

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2012, 08:59 pm »
Other than dumping in the goo for the arm, oil for the platter and mounting the cartridge that should be about it.
Set the anti skating with the two posts closed up and be prepared to spend some time setting the tracking force. 
Go over the thread with CRC contact cleaner and shoot the adjusting knob for the thread top and bottom with same to hold the azimuth steady.
Get a good magnifying glass for adjusting the stylus tracking angle and enjoy your new turntable. 
That's a great one.

williamsims

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2012, 09:08 pm »
Steve, thank you very much for your thoughtful reply.

Would it be worthwhile to send the TT to someone who could check it out and provide any upgrades?  I've been into analog for 30 years but have no experience with the WTC.

Thanks -- Bill

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2012, 09:50 am »
Probably not, they're pretty simple devices and the upgrade path for the older models would be the Reference model.
If the post for the arm doesn't have a recessed grub screw in the top for adjusting the height you can simply drill and tap it and pop in a grub screw from the hardware store.
As long as the belt doesn't slip, the paddle for the arm is under the goo by a little bit, the string doesn't contact anything when the arm moves ,and the spindle is submerged in oil you should be good to go.
I don't wish to bad mouth anyone but Stanalog is gone even if their web site is still up.
You can get the various manuals over on the vinylengine site.

Set up is slow due to having to let everything settle in the goo which you can clean up with rubbing alcohol.
Change the arm height and everything else changes so it can be a bit trying at times...
Always check the azimuth when you pop an album on, too.
Make sure that the paddle for the arm is centered in the cup before you add the silicone fluid - the cup is held onto the plinth with double sided tape.
Hope this helps.

jsawyer09

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2012, 04:44 pm »
If you win the Classic and it doesn't come with a protractor, let me know (PM me)...I've got one, thanks to AC member doak!  :thumb:

Gopher

« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2012, 06:32 pm »
Stanalog is done, as has been mentioned here many times. He has no affiliation with WTL.
Contact Mike Pranka at Dynavector USA if you have concerns...

Yep.  Avoid going that route--I'd ordered some replacement parts from him a bout 2 years ago which were "back ordered" and never saw my money back, nor got a response from them.  It was also to late to file a charge back with my visa...