Buying a new bicycle...what should I know?

jackman

Re: Buying a new bicycle...what should I know?
« Reply #120 on: 20 Aug 2012, 12:58 pm »
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/839660-Trek-Domane-4-5-Anybody-have-one?s=7b6d9338f04feb935e20a9a4a0cee43d

Check this out. Pretty Innovative design by Trek.  Fabian Cancellara chose this over the Madone in the TDF.  I can't wait to test it on bumpy roads.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #121 on: 20 Aug 2012, 01:05 pm »
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/839660-Trek-Domane-4-5-Anybody-have-one?s=7b6d9338f04feb935e20a9a4a0cee43d

Check this out. Pretty Innovative design by Trek.  Fabian Cancellara chose this over the Madone in the TDF.  I can't wait to test it on bumpy roads.

I test rode a Madone 5.9 with Ultegra Di2 over the weekend and thought it was quite nice.  It was between the Specialized Roubaix and Cervelo R5 in almost all ways and along with the Parlee Z5 are my favorite rides so far.

I am hoping to get a chance to try a 6 Series Domane before making my final decision and buying a bike.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #122 on: 20 Aug 2012, 01:08 pm »
BTW, a local dealer in MA is blowing out his 2012 Madone 5.9 with Ultegra Di2 for $3500!!

Only catch is that you need to make it an in-store purchase.

It is going to be tough to beat this on the value side of the equation.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #123 on: 20 Aug 2012, 01:09 pm »
Calfee offers Di2 Internal Retrofit for non Calfee frames, as well as a Di2 battery retrofit that places the battery in a seatpost.

Here's Calfee's Menu of Pricing.

I may consider this down the road for my non-internal Z5sl.

EDIT: Calfee is developing a Campy EPS frame modification that should be available in Q4.

I just saw the price of Super Record and Record EPS and almost fell off my chair!!   :o :o

OUCH!

George

jackman

« Reply #124 on: 20 Aug 2012, 02:00 pm »
That's a good price on the Madone. Very good!  I'd hold off until you ride the Domane.  It is supposedly like a magic carpet.  The roads around here are very rough and I look forward to testing it on chip and seal.

tvad4

« Reply #125 on: 20 Aug 2012, 02:27 pm »
I'd hold off until you ride the Domane.
I agree. The 2013 Madone is supposed to be quite a frame, which is why the 2012 are being blown out.

http://www.pelotonmagazine.com/Goods/content/11/1586/2013-Madone-First-Ride

I agree about the price of Campy Record and Super Record EPS. Significant discounts are available without looking too hard.
http://www.planetcyclery.com/group-sets/

That said, and coming from a long time Campy owner, the 2013 Dura Ace 9070 Di2 electronic group looks like the one to beat for now. Very light weight, too, which has been a drawback to both the Shimano and Campagnolo electronic goupsets (IMO).
http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-blog/updates-and-news/shimano-2013-part-2-9070-di2-dura-ace.html

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #126 on: 20 Aug 2012, 02:51 pm »
When does the 2013 Madone become available?

George

tvad4

« Reply #127 on: 20 Aug 2012, 03:08 pm »
When does the 2013 Madone become available?

George
Not exactly sure. Usually September is when new models and components begin to arrive.

Here's a blog mentioning the new Domane "in the house", so perhaps they're available now.
http://bespokecycling.blogspot.com/2012/08/new-domane-in-house.html

jackman

« Reply #128 on: 10 Sep 2012, 12:24 am »
George - did you get a bike?  Beautiful weather in Chicago. I'm riding my butt off!  Please keep us posted.

Cheers

Jack

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #129 on: 10 Sep 2012, 10:41 pm »
George - did you get a bike?  Beautiful weather in Chicago. I'm riding my butt off!  Please keep us posted.

Cheers

Jack

Not yet.

I have been super busy with work, kids going back to school, and Pop Warner football and haven't yet had a chance to ride a Trek Domane.  I decided that I wanted to try out the Domane before making any purchase.

The two other bikes still under strong consideration are the Trek Madone and Parlee Z5Sli.

While I wouldn't say I have been riding my butt off, I have been doing a decent amount of riding.  Unfortunately, it has been more on my trainer than outside.  :-(

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #130 on: 23 Sep 2012, 11:25 pm »
Finally rode the Trek Domane (5.9 model with Ultegra Di2) and I am glad I waited to buy anything until I could ride it.

I really liked it a lot and thought it was the best all-around bike at the ones I tested - just a hair better than the Parlee Z5.

It was smooth and responsive, while the shifting and handling was crisp and effortless.

Now I just need to pull the trigger.

George

tvad4

« Reply #131 on: 23 Sep 2012, 11:40 pm »
Good to hear, George.

It's easy to spend other's money...but you might consider the new Dura Ace DA9070 Di2 rather than 2012 Ultegra. It's receiving stellar press, and you'd be ahead of the curve. 10s Ultegra will soon be outdated.

I don't work for Shimano. Promise.

jackman

« Reply #132 on: 23 Sep 2012, 11:54 pm »
George, I resent you for getting the bike I want!  Just kidding, that is the bike I would get if I could swing it right now.  It's the perfect combination of comfort, light weight, great handling and cool looks.  I also like the Di2 a lot.  The ten speed is cool because you have lots of inexpensive cassette and wheel choices. Ten speeds are not going to be obsolete any time soon. 

Trek looks to have a winner with the new Domane.  Keep us posted on your decision.

Cheers

Jack

tvad4

« Reply #133 on: 24 Sep 2012, 12:05 am »
Consider also the nice array of different chainring combinations the 2013 Dura Ace offers (and likely to follow on the 2013 or 2014 Ultegra). You're no longer restricted to standard or compact cranks. Supposedly, the new chainrings are interchangeable, so you don't have to buy new cranks to change from standard chainrings to compact chainrings and vice-versa. I haven't yet seen verification of the interchangeability from Shimano, however.

There's a nifty new 52/36 chainring combo that would handle most any situation...flat or mountains...with an 11-28 cassette.

Chainring options include: 55/42 – 54/42 - 53/39 – 52/36 – 52/38 – 50/34.

I'm a Campy guy, and the features of the 2013 Dura Ace are a siren's song.

Just sayin'...

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #134 on: 24 Sep 2012, 02:24 am »
Consider also the nice array of different chainring combinations the 2013 Dura Ace offers (and likely to follow on the 2013 or 2014 Ultegra). You're no longer restricted to standard or compact cranks. Supposedly, the new chainrings are interchangeable, so you don't have to buy new cranks to change from standard chainrings to compact chainrings and vice-versa. I haven't yet seen verification of the interchangeability from Shimano, however.

There's a nifty new 52/36 chainring combo that would handle most any situation...flat or mountains...with an 11-28 cassette.

Chainring options include: 55/42 – 54/42 - 53/39 – 52/36 – 52/38 – 50/34.

I'm a Campy guy, and the features of the 2013 Dura Ace are a siren's song.

Just sayin'...

I hear ya, but you are going to pay a HUGE premium to go with 2013 Dura Ace Di2.

Using Trek's project one website, it adds $1800 to the cost of the bike when compared to Ultegra Di2.   :o

George

tvad4

« Reply #135 on: 24 Sep 2012, 02:54 am »
True, George.

It's hard to argue price in this case. Ultegra Di2 is basically a loss leader for Shimano. Shimano is throwing it in at incredible prices to get their brand on more bikes than their competitors.

However, based on the advances of 2013 DA Di2 (11 speed, multiple interchangeable chain ring combinations, multi cog shifting, lower weight, more ergonomic brake hoods), I'd still pay the premium if it was my money.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #136 on: 16 Oct 2012, 04:46 pm »
Finally bought my bike...

It turned out to be the last one I rode - Giant Defy Advanced SL 1 with Ultegra Di2

For me it offered the best combination of fit, comfort, performance, and value.  It was just a tick better (again for me) than the Trek Domane 5.9

I will be picking it up from my dealer on Friday (he needs to swap out the stock handlebars for a slightly wider pair).

Thanks again to everybody who provided some input along my multi-month journey.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #137 on: 16 Oct 2012, 04:48 pm »
I forgot to take a picture of the bike while I had it this past weekend for evaluation, but here is what it looks like on the Giant website:

George

Don_S

« Reply #138 on: 16 Oct 2012, 04:51 pm »
Zybar,  Congratulations.  Enjoy your new ride.  :thumb: