Surge protection...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Surge protection...
« on: 15 May 2012, 05:29 pm »
I have long been an advocate of whole house surge protection.  This is for a lot of reasons - primary one is that it serves THE WHOLE HOUSE.  I don't know about you, but our Dacor range, Samsung refrigerator, even Gayle's hair dryer - all have microprocessors in them.  I would hate to have to deal with a huge lightning strike's aftermath.  Everything would be susceptable to it.  The other thing is that they are relatively inexpensive.  I personally use Eaton devices that are less than $80.00 from any big box store.  Sure, they are a little noisey (using banks of MOVs), but when you factor this into the noise in the house from everything else it is inconsequential.  You can get rid of the noise with an Uber, you know.

Still, I get requests all of the time for a point of use suppressor (no, not that kind) - surge suppressor and I have decided to honor those requests and develop one.  Problem has been that I had not found one that is dead silent in use.  I have developed something that I "think" is silent.  I can't measure the noise and I can't hear the noise, but hey:  I'm 64 and I can't always hear Gayle  :lol:  Anyhoo, I have one that is ready for release.  I WILL NOT integrate it into any of my other products, so don't ask.  If a worse case scenario occurs and it needs to be replaced, I don't want to have to dig it out of a BUSS.  It is a stand alone unit with 3 receptacles on it and is the same size and appearance as the MiniBUSS and is lined with ERS cloth - just like the MiniBUSS.

Your choice of IEC 15A or 20A inlets is standard as are the P&S 5362 receptacles.  The unit is a 3 stage surge arrester that employs all of the best methods available in a progressive arrangement to kill the surge, but not the sound.  It has a clamping capacity in excess of 40KA and is hopefully bulletproof.  I hope that none of us EVER find out.

Retail price will be $449.00.  The initial run of 12 will be available for $349.00 + $15.00 shipping in the lower 48.

I have great expectations for this product.

Dave
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2012, 04:13 am by dBe »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Surge protection...
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2012, 05:41 pm »
Is this MOV based?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2012, 06:04 pm »
I'll take one.  Can we just daisy chain before an Uber?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2012, 06:08 pm »
Dave,
If I can put this after the UberBUSS, put me on the list as well.  I need more sockets! :)

Æ

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2012, 06:12 pm »
Hi Dave, do you have any experience using Gas Discharge Tubes?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2012, 06:23 pm »
Is this MOV based?
It has MOV's in a support/overoad mode only.  The initial protection is a proprietary hybrid method that I developed.  The MOV's are the backup to the backup in protction and are treated with noise supression.

That is about all I am willing to share about the unit in how it functions.  I worked for two years to get it where I like it.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2012, 06:24 pm »
Hi Dave, do you have any experience using Gas Discharge Tubes?
Yes, I do - they are good devices, but not something that I would use by themselves.

Dave

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2012, 06:28 pm »
Very exciting Dave. You may have to sign me up (counting pennies frantically).

And yes, as far as ideal placement, is this best to go before or after an Uber/RevB?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2012, 06:34 pm »
Very exciting Dave. You may have to sign me up (counting pennies frantically).

And yes, as far as ideal placement, is this best to go before or after an Uber/RevB?
Thanks, Roscoe. 

The ideal use:  Wall > Surge Protector > BUSS > gear. 

I decided to make it a 6 outlet unit because not everyone has a BUSS (I need to do something about that  :) ) and some people will need more surge protection than treatment with a BUSS.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2012, 06:36 pm »
Dave,
If I can put this after the UberBUSS, put me on the list as well.  I need more sockets! :)
Rich, It will not protect the BUSS unless it is between the surge and the bUSS

Check your email, BTW.

Dave

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2012, 06:40 pm »
But beyond lacking surge protection for a BUSS, is there much sonic difference with the surge after BUSS vs vice-versa? Like Hal, I have additional outlet needed for my audio gear.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2012, 06:41 pm »
Dave,
Gotcha.

Email back at you!  Sounds like a plan!  :D

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2012, 06:43 pm »
But beyond lacking surge protection for a BUSS, is there much sonic difference with the surge after BUSS vs vice-versa? Like Hal, I have additional outlet needed for my audio gear.
Not that I can detect.  It is benign in SQ.

Dave

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2012, 06:48 pm »
Great. Thanks for that info Dave.

rogerdn

« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2012, 12:02 am »
Dave,  put me on your build list pls, but you haven't told us how much insurance comes with it   :)

roger

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2012, 12:40 am »
Great. Thanks for that info Dave.
Roger, I told you that you have been inspiration to me on other products and aspects of life, so here is the fruit of your labors.

I guarantee that is is the best unit I can build and that I will not use a team of laywers and unpublished loopholes to dodge paying on an act of nature.  How's that  :lol:  ?

You are on the list.  I'll be in touch.

<><

Dave

SoCalWJS

« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2012, 01:17 am »
Dave,

Add me to the list for the initial run if it's not too late. Let me know what info you need.

Thanks

rfluongo

« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2012, 04:51 pm »
Dave,

If I recall, in the past you had recommended something like a Brickwall prior to a Buss in the chain:

http://www.brickwall.com/surge-protectors/video/products/view/5/3.html

Can you comment on this type of the solution vs. your new surge protector? Thanks.

Ron

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2012, 04:54 pm »
What are the actual test technical specs of this unit?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2012, 05:21 pm »
Dave,

If I recall, in the past you had recommended something like a Brickwall prior to a Buss in the chain:

http://www.brickwall.com/surge-protectors/video/products/view/5/3.html

Can you comment on this type of the solution vs. your new surge protector? Thanks.

Ron
The Brickwall units are good units and I still have no problemrecommending them for surge protection.  What I have found out is that they are not silent in operation.  They do not have the optiuon of using better power cabling and the end user is limited to the receptacles installed in the units.  While none of that might be important to "most" end users, it is important to me.  Kind of like the medical credo: "First, do no harm."

All of this is subjective, of course.  Measurements don't really tell the whole story when it come down to what is and what is not audible when you get down to this level. 

The BUSS-Stop (yep, had to have BUSS in it) actually improves sound as well as providing protection.

Dave