Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Bridgestone MB-4 - still a workhorse

Specialized Langster Comp track

Specialized Langster road fixed

Independent Fabrication Deluxe steel mtb

BikeWNC

Re: Bicycling in New York City
« Reply #81 on: 26 Aug 2009, 06:44 pm »
For some reason I thought this thread was in the Athletic Club.  I was born in NYC so I guess I'm still eligible to post here.    :D

Levi

« Reply #82 on: 26 Aug 2009, 07:13 pm »
Everyone are welcome to post. Eventually we will move this thread as we see fit.

Riding a bike is a recession proof form of transportaion that we can all afford!    

--Levi

Levi

« Reply #83 on: 26 Aug 2009, 07:17 pm »
Bikewnc, nice bikes and the scenery!

Western North Carolina has one of best the Mountain Biking trails.  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #84 on: 26 Aug 2009, 07:19 pm »
John (tcg), congrats on your new toy!  Ride safetly!

BikeWNC

« Reply #85 on: 26 Aug 2009, 08:09 pm »
Bikewnc, nice bikes and the scenery!

Western North Carolina has one of best the Mountain Biking trails.  :thumb:

Thanks!  Yeah, WNC has some great mtb trails though I mainly stick to the jeep and fire roads with my mtb.  I don't recover as fast as I used to from those singletrack crashes.  I've been looking at a full suspension bike but I find it hard to justify with the type riding I do.  I mostly ride my road bikes anyway. 

Levi

« Reply #86 on: 27 Aug 2009, 03:44 am »
I can tell that you are into road bike by looking at your pictures.  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #87 on: 27 Aug 2009, 01:12 pm »
Pictures of my completed bike in Bar Harbor, Maine

Carriage Trails, Acadia National Park

Low tide crossing Sand Bar going to Bar Island

Bemopti123

« Reply #88 on: 27 Aug 2009, 01:19 pm »

Riding a bike is a recession proof form of transportaion that we can all afford!    

--Levi

Unless you live in NYC and get your ride "taken" or "permanently borrow,"  I would say it quite does not fit the criteria of "we can all afford." :icon_twisted:

BTW, while in Montreal, I realized that there wasn't much of broken chains, bike parts hanging in posts.  Perhaps it is because MANY people ride bikes. 

Paul

TheChairGuy

« Reply #89 on: 27 Aug 2009, 01:37 pm »
John (tcg), congrats on your new toy!  Ride safetly!

Thx Levi....I even bought a Kettler Child Carrier to transport my daughter to school in the mornings (1 mile each way....a couple of mild hills along the way)

I bought a basic 'bike' - surely nothing as esoteric as you pro's here:

Lightly used and $200 on Craiglist with lock/chain and bell...it gets me to where I need to go without using the car or hoofing by foot :thumb:

Thx all / later - John

Lyndon

« Reply #90 on: 27 Aug 2009, 01:39 pm »
BikeWNC said:
I've been looking at a full suspension bike but I find it hard to justify with the type riding I do.  I mostly ride my road bikes anyway.

I thought the same way until I broke down last spring and got a dual suspension.
Love it for Moab, but for the singletrack in the Wasatch Mountains and Bonneville Shoreline Trail, the hardtail rules.
Great bikes, BikeWNC, especially the Bridgestone.  You probably already know the forum, but at Phred.org, one of the forums is BoB, which I think translates into Bridgestone Owners Bunch, but has evolved into just happy, intense bikers.  I think it started from B'bikes and Grant Petersen, who was responsible for getting Bridgestone to develop their great line of bike offerings in the 80's, then moved on to form Rivendell Bikes.  Eh, enough of bike history.
Lyndon

BikeWNC

« Reply #91 on: 27 Aug 2009, 02:48 pm »
BikeWNC said:
I've been looking at a full suspension bike but I find it hard to justify with the type riding I do.  I mostly ride my road bikes anyway.

I thought the same way until I broke down last spring and got a dual suspension.
Love it for Moab, but for the singletrack in the Wasatch Mountains and Bonneville Shoreline Trail, the hardtail rules.
Great bikes, BikeWNC, especially the Bridgestone.  You probably already know the forum, but at Phred.org, one of the forums is BoB, which I think translates into Bridgestone Owners Bunch, but has evolved into just happy, intense bikers.  I think it started from B'bikes and Grant Petersen, who was responsible for getting Bridgestone to develop their great line of bike offerings in the 80's, then moved on to form Rivendell Bikes.  Eh, enough of bike history.
Lyndon

That MB-4 has been through several changes.  Pretty much all that is left from the original bike are the frame, fork and stem.  I spread the frame when I replaced the Suntour 7sp with XT 8sp, it has Sun rims with White Ind. hubs and DT Rev spokes for wheels, Easton seatpost, Ultergra HS, Fizik Aliante saddle, RaceFace bar.  LOL.  I pulled my daughter with it in a Burley trailer and now a tag-a-long.  I ride it in the winter on the BRP when the road is snowed over and I slid it down the Clingman's Dome Rd in Smoky Mtn NP when a sudden 4 inches of snow fell.  It's a very fun bike. 

As for a fs mtb, I have no doubt one would be great.  I get to borrow one every now and then from my LBS for a test ride.  Last two bikes I tried were an Epic and a Stumpy.  I liked the Epic better for what I do though the Stumpy SWorks was incredible.  Just not gonna spend that kind of $$$$ on a mtb.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #92 on: 28 Aug 2009, 05:17 pm »
Andy/BikeWNC...

I seem to recall an old post about some bike race that you participated in awhile ago....hills....hot weather...at least I think it was your post... :scratch:

Hogg

« Reply #93 on: 28 Aug 2009, 10:34 pm »
You guys and your bike pics.   Here's what you should be showing off:

:icon_lol:   Jim

Carlman

« Reply #94 on: 29 Aug 2009, 12:05 am »
I recently took a trip to NJ and rode a trail called 'Sourland'.  Great fun if you're into seriously offroad rocky/technical trails... which I apparently am.  :)
I'm attempting to link a short video I did after the ride to show some of the terrain we rode.
I'm on a silver/gray Turner 5-spot.  If this video works, I'm in an orange shirt and wearing knee pads.

http://www.facebook.com/v/1141419908700

Andy, I plan to get out to Pisgah this Fall.. but I hate fireroads.. so I will avoid them usually... but it'd be nice to see you.. Let me know if you'd like to try some singletrack again.. it'll be my first time out there so I'll be taking it easy.

Levi, that is one slick-looking bike.. very cool.  I bet it's light and strong.. definitely looks it.

-C

Don_S

« Reply #95 on: 29 Aug 2009, 01:46 am »
C,  Great video.  If you call that a trail you have gone over the bars one too many times without a helmet.  :shake:

BikeWNC

« Reply #96 on: 29 Aug 2009, 02:25 am »
Andy/BikeWNC...

I seem to recall an old post about some bike race that you participated in awhile ago....hills....hot weather...at least I think it was your post... :scratch:

I've done a couple in 100?+ temps.  One was the 2008 Assault on Mt. Mitchell and the other was this June at the Cherohala Challenge.  Both sucked!  I hate the heat.  Both rides are over 100 miles and have over 10K' of climbing.  I probably won't do a ride in weather like that again.  I hope anyway. :lol:

BikeWNC

« Reply #97 on: 29 Aug 2009, 02:28 am »
I recently took a trip to NJ and rode a trail called 'Sourland'.  Great fun if you're into seriously offroad rocky/technical trails... which I apparently am.  :)
I'm attempting to link a short video I did after the ride to show some of the terrain we rode.
I'm on a silver/gray Turner 5-spot.  If this video works, I'm in an orange shirt and wearing knee pads.

http://www.facebook.com/v/1141419908700

Andy, I plan to get out to Pisgah this Fall.. but I hate fireroads.. so I will avoid them usually... but it'd be nice to see you.. Let me know if you'd like to try some singletrack again.. it'll be my first time out there so I'll be taking it easy.

Levi, that is one slick-looking bike.. very cool.  I bet it's light and strong.. definitely looks it.

-C

A Turner 5 Spot is a hella bike!  I've always wanted a Turner, maybe someday.  Let me know when you may be up this way.  If I'm in town I'll try to join you for a ride.  I might be able to borrow a fs bike from my LBS. 

Levi

« Reply #98 on: 29 Aug 2009, 03:02 am »
Hi Carl, that is a nice video.  That trail is technically challenging.  It looks like one has to pick the right path and keep the momentum going.  It is easier with a full suspension bikes.  Hardtail bikes need to be precise and choose the correct line and balance.  My bike has a well balanced handling and equally responsive.  I am psyched to ride now! 

I think fireroads are great for family rides. :thumb:

Hey Jim, if we go pro we could probably have chiseled leg muscles.   I am not sure about shaving legs like most roadies do. :scratch:

--Levi

Levi

« Reply #99 on: 30 Aug 2009, 05:11 pm »
Hi Jim.  This is in response to your post.  I asure you this picture in good taste. :thumb: 

You guys and your bike pics.   Here's what you should be showing off:
 :icon_lol:   Jim