Ride Safe

RPM123

Ride Safe
« on: 15 Jun 2018, 03:55 am »
I just wanted to share a very recent experience I had while cycling. My old helmet had a manufacture date of 3/2012, so I figured that I was probably due for a new one. Some people recommend a new helmet every 3- 5 years depending on how much it has been used. UV, sweat etc., can break down the styrofoam over time and it can become brittle and less protective.  I purchased a new Specialized Prevail helmet about a week ago, based on the recommendation of the store manager, who said: "if you were to get into an accident, this is THE helmet you want on your head". Little did I know how prophetic that would become! It's not cheap at around $230, but boy does it ever work!

Yesterday afternoon, I went for a ride and one minute I was fine, when suddenly I became airborne and went up and over my handlebar landing on my forehead and face. (I hit one of those low concrete car barriers, that I didn't notice, while distracted)) The impact (of my 200 lb, plus body) cracked the front of my helmet and I only suffered some abrasions on my face hand, a banged a knee and sustained some forearm soreness. Also, one of the lenses of my new sunglasses got scratched, but they likely helped further abrasions on my face. The handle bar is bent, but my bike is in fairly good shape, considering.

I have been in several biking accidents over the years, but this is the first time I have landed on my head. I truly believe that my old helmet would not have protected me as much and I would have suffered far more injury. And if I had not been wearing a helmet, well...my skull would have likely cracked and I would be in the ER.  I have already placed an order for a new "Prevail" helmet.

Moral: Make sure your helmet is not too old and buy the best one you can afford. Ride safe!

ASCTLC

Re: Ride Safe
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2018, 11:52 am »
Glad you came away from that alright.  I had a recent crash that landed me on my helmet too (my head is fine).

Before you replace that helmet, look up Specialized's warranty.  Some helmet mfrs actually have a crash warranty of sorts.  Giro may offer a price reduction on a replacement helmet from a crash and I heard one mfr (don't know which) offers free replacement so check before plopping the full expense down.

Mine's 3 years old already so I'm not overly optimistic Giro will help with crash replacement because it's due for replacement anyway (they recommend 3 years on their helmets) but I'm gonna check anyway.  Good helmets aren't cheap!

Andy

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2018, 01:34 pm »
Glad you're OK!

I had a get off during some mountain biking in the late 90's and landed directly on the top of my head (wearing a helmet).

I never expected to land like that, and was thankful we always wore helmets!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2018, 02:06 pm »
Glad to hear you are ok!

I am starting back up again this weekend (getting a very late start to my season unfortunately) and after reading your post I am going to get a new helmet.

BTW, here is a link to some helmet reviews/recommendations:  https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a20041474/18-best-bicycle-helmets-2018/

George

RPM123

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2018, 02:25 pm »
Thanks all and for the suggestion of checking the manufacturer's crash replacement policy!

Glenn

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2018, 02:46 pm »
Good to hear you're ok! Most crashes tend to happen when we're not focused... anytime you're on/in a vehicle with wheels or on skis you need to be alert! I've learned that the hard way too...

Spec will probably give you a crash replacement.

RPM123

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2018, 03:58 am »
I just learned that I will be offered a 20% discount on a new helmet.  At least it's something.  :)  Thanks again everyone!