30 Years Sober

cfisher835

Re: 30 Years Sober
« Reply #20 on: 9 May 2018, 03:17 pm »
Congratulations, JCarney. I celebrated 29 in December. It would be interesting to see what other neurotic hobbies we share in common. As for me, most of my mental energy at the moment is focused on a new espresso machine/grinder that's on the way.

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 9 May 2018, 04:08 pm »
This is a really, really big deal. Many if not most 24yo's lack the perspective to recogize they have a problem. Even more impressive to have that kind of insight at that age. Your only addiction now is audio?

cfisher835

« Reply #22 on: 9 May 2018, 04:23 pm »
Your only addiction now is audio?

I'm going to eat my big book if he says, "yes."

notany

« Reply #23 on: 9 May 2018, 04:52 pm »
Hi.  My last drink was October 6 1982.  There sure are a lot of us here. 

guf

« Reply #24 on: 9 May 2018, 05:23 pm »
Congratulations, JCarney. I celebrated 29 in December. It would be interesting to see what other neurotic hobbies we share in common. As for me, most of my mental energy at the moment is focused on a new espresso machine/grinder that's on the way.

Curious on the details of the new equipment? New post? In the cooking and dinning circle? :) My espresso/coffee habit is daily and second in expense only to my music.

cfisher835

« Reply #25 on: 9 May 2018, 06:12 pm »
Curious on the details of the new equipment? New post? In the cooking and dinning circle? :) My espresso/coffee habit is daily and second in expense only to my music.

I'll post a picture over there when it arrives. Went for a red La Marzocco Linea Mini and (I think) a red Mahlkönig K30.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 9 May 2018, 06:25 pm »
This is a really, really big deal. Many if not most 24yo's lack the perspective to recogize they have a problem. Even more impressive to have that kind of insight at that age. Your only addiction now is audio?
I was nearing 33 yrs. old when, upon being cited for my 4th DUI, I entered an alcohol program at Ft. Logan in Denver. I wish I had seen the light 10 years earlier.
Maybe we need a Sobriety Circle here. Seems like there are more of us than there are sports fans if the number of responders is any indication. Of course there is the little matter of just what we might discuss. Non drinking songs? Ex marriages? Bankruptcies? Court room drama? Cell mates? Alternatives to drinking - like my little pot hobby? Counseling Woodsyi on his wine obsession? Or maybe something about how you got there and how you got back.
Whatever the case, I'm happy to see so many have realized redemption. I remember getting interested when I saw what a wild time Jesus and the apostles were having in DaVinci's Last Supper. Dude knew how to party down.

guf

« Reply #27 on: 9 May 2018, 07:21 pm »
I'll post a picture over there when it arrives. Went for a red La Marzocco Linea Mini and (I think) a red Mahlkönig K30.

Well done! It'll be nice to never think about upgrading. I have a GS3.

guf

« Reply #28 on: 9 May 2018, 07:23 pm »

Holy crap, there is 231 years of accumulative sobriety just in this thread alone.

JCarney

I love that I'm basically the new guy with 17 years.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #29 on: 9 May 2018, 08:51 pm »
I'll say this - not spending $$ on large amounts of single malt scotch every month really bumped up my audio budget :) 

JCarney

« Reply #30 on: 9 May 2018, 09:43 pm »
db Cooper, my other addiction other than audio, is a beautiful, almost four year old Granddaughter. I spend a ton of time with her. She has been in a head start program in a small town in rural OK. I am there a lot to help out, read to the kids, whatever duty needs to be done. The people at the head start program voted me Grandfather of the year for all the time I spend with my Granddaughter and her classmates.

cfisher835, you do not have to eat your big book.   :o :lol:

This her and I on a road trip last year.

JCarney

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #31 on: 9 May 2018, 09:56 pm »
As a side note in my country women are drinking and smoking more than men, taken by the media who idolize the nightlife as glamorous, it is depressing to see those beautiful women sitting in bars getting drunk.
There is nothing better than the family.

rbbert

« Reply #32 on: 9 May 2018, 11:53 pm »
I love that I'm basically the new guy with 17 years.
Nah, if I stay sober tonight I will just get to 16 years tomorrow!

JCarney

« Reply #33 on: 10 May 2018, 12:52 am »
rbbert, congrats! I think I am seeing a pattern here....hmmmmmmm

JCarney

orthobiz

« Reply #34 on: 10 May 2018, 01:25 am »
On April 2 of this year I celebrated 30 years of sobriety. As a doctor, let's just say it wasn't only alcohol...God that was a bad space I will hopefully not revisit! Hopefully I'll get another 30 years (I'll be 92 if I do!).

Paul

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #35 on: 10 May 2018, 03:35 pm »
I feel like a baby, with only 4.5 years :P

Mike B.

« Reply #36 on: 10 May 2018, 03:46 pm »
I remember seeing John Larroquette on a TV talk show a couple decades back. He is one of us, and the host was congratulating him on 20 years of sobriety. Being a comedian, he relied, " congratulating a drunk for not drinking is like congratulating a cowboy who has hemorrhoids for not riding his horse.  Congrats guys on turning your lives around.

guf

« Reply #37 on: 10 May 2018, 05:05 pm »
I remember seeing John Larroquette on a TV talk show a couple decades back. He is one of us, and the host was congratulating him on 20 years of sobriety. Being a comedian, he relied, " congratulating a drunk for not drinking is like congratulating a cowboy who has hemorrhoids for not riding his horse.  Congrats guys on turning your lives around.

Cool about John Larroquette. Listing to his story now.

WireNut

« Reply #38 on: 10 May 2018, 08:04 pm »
How can I stop?

ohenry

« Reply #39 on: 10 May 2018, 08:14 pm »
How can I stop?
Start with your physician.  They can recommend a course for you depending upon your situation and insurance.  Easy stuff.  :D

20 years and counting here...