Sound Anchors for Omega monitors

rfprice

Sound Anchors for Omega monitors
« on: 7 Mar 2019, 05:34 pm »
I would appreciate some input from people who have used, are using, Sound Anchor stands. I'm thinking about ordering a pair for my RS8 monitors. However I'm wondering if the weight and mass might make them over-dampening.

Doodlebum

Re: Sound Anchors for Omega monitors
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2019, 10:53 pm »
Have you looked at mapleshade? It's a different approach but worth considering.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2019, 02:07 am »
Skylan in Canada has a long history of working well with Omega speakers.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2019, 03:52 pm by Canada Rob »

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2019, 04:30 am »
There are folks here who are big fans of IsoAcoustics products and Herbie's Audio Lab. I used to think that having heavy, massive, stands was the best thing to do, but that's not necessarily the case. It may be good simply for stability, but you should experiment with coupling vs decoupling the speakers from the stands. As you'll notice, the best solutions work via decoupling plus vibration control, not mass plus coupling.

rfprice

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2019, 08:08 pm »
Have you looked at mapleshade? It's a different approach but worth considering.

Thanks for the tip. The Rooted Butress stands look very interesting. Quite expensive though.

rfprice

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2019, 08:13 pm »
Skylan in Canada has a long history of working well with Omega speakers.  With a tanked Canadian dollar it makes the Skylans look even better if you're in the U.S.

I am indeed in the US, however the Skylans are denominated in USD, so there is no fluctuation. At $560 for the 4-post, that's roughly the same as the Sound Anchor 3-post. I like that I can fill the Skylans myself. On the other hand, I've heard only great things about Sound Anchor except that a few guys with Harbeths seem to feel that they are over-dampening.

Bob Stark

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2019, 11:48 pm »
rf,

If you want the best performance in all ways plus the stability of the Sound Anchor stands, check with Robert Maicks at Star Sound for 2 things:
1.) they make a stand that is similar to their better racks in how it performs--these are expensive and will not be as stable as the Sound Anchors; and 2.) Star Sound makes a VERY FINE as in small round metal product to fill stands with.  They will allow the stands to drain vibrations quickly to the floor.
This vibration draining is the same principal involved in making the awesome sounding Sistrum racks and platforms perform the way they do.  I have 2 shorter racks that sound fantastic that are filled with the same super fine shot in the rods that hold the platforms.  Robert at SS says his fine shot material will bring the Sound Anchors to new heights of sound and even more stable.  He would most likely cut you a deal on the shot as it is pretty expensive to fill the rods even if you get 3 rod SA's.  The sound is dynamic, with great clarity, and NO negative issues other than cost to do it.  Granted, it's something no one will ever see, but, like better caps and materials inside a component, the change for the better in sound in all ways is very impressive.

Bob

mrhyfy

« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2019, 01:57 am »
IN my opinion, the Skylan stands are pretty pricey when you look at the value of the materials involved. Yes I know,, markups , markups, markups.
IMHO

G.Michael

« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2019, 05:08 am »
There are folks here who are big fans of IsoAcoustics products

I've had a lot of success with the IsoAcoustics products, specifically these:

Just put 'em on top of your existing speaker stands.

I learned about them from a friend of mine has a lot of good gear, but is limited on space.  So he stacks equipment (e.g., DAC on transport on outboard power supply) with the Iso pucks between.

I have the Iso-155 units (upper photo) between my speakers and Sound Anchor stands.  Also used the Iso-155 with a cheaper pair of stands.  Sounds good, either way. 

In my other system, I have the Iso pucks under my 70-lb monitor speakers sitting atop subwoofers.  Also sounds good.  (Yeah, I know, defies conventional logic.) 

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2019, 05:47 pm »
IN my opinion, the Skylan stands are pretty pricey when you look at the value of the materials involved. Yes I know,, markups , markups, markups.
IMHO

Actually, the cost of rectangular extruded & painted polymer, and plastic coated (not painted) MDF, along with all the hardware may be more than that of thin wall box tube steel that companies like Sound Anchors and Target use.  I've had Skylan 4 posters and they are a beautifully made speaker stand.  I've had Target (when they were made in China) and they were very poorly made.  Target are now owned by Bryston and made in Canada and no doubt now a great stand.  Sound Anchors (which I've never seen in the flesh) are also no doubt a great stand.  Any premium stand is going to cost $$$, so conventional wisdom would say: go with what works and has a great track record with Omegas.  I'm sure there are a lot of options out there that will work, but history and personal experience is what has me recommending Skylan.  Also Noel at Skylan is one of the best people in audio that I've ever dealt with.

As far as "markup" goes: with guys like Louis and Noel, they are one man operations and likely working basically for a self set wage, with little or no markup.  Markup, in the real sense of the word is what dealers, distributors, and larger manufacturers do. 
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2019, 10:15 pm by Canada Rob »