ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

Berto

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #820 on: 18 Feb 2009, 02:57 am »
I just received some 1960's Svetlana 5U4G/5C3S Black Plate rectifier tubes that I purchased from Nikolay off ebay (his username is "xryn" on ebay).  These came highly recommended to me for my amp by one of the well-respected tube gurus over on Audio Asylum.  I just popped one into my MW Transporter, and a pair into my Cary integrated amp--after 10 minutes I'm pretty darn impressed, especially considering the price (around $14/tube shipped from Russia).  I'm been running a Tung Sol 5U4GB and a Mullard gz 32 in my Transporter--I'm hearing a more solid bass line, with great detail and smoothness with these Russian tubes, and they aren't even warmed up yet!  Maybe not quite as smooth as the Mullard, but the notes have more attack and snap.

I'm not saying they are on the level of the EML mesh (I have one on its way  :icon_lol:) as I haven't heard it yet, but for anyone looking for a really cheap alternative, you might consider giving these Svetlana's a try!

No affiliation with the seller, no accomodations for positive review--just wanted to share a potential bargain.

Randy

I'm curious to hear how you will compare it to the EML sound.

Audioclyde

« Reply #821 on: 18 Feb 2009, 03:55 pm »
I'll try and post a comparison after I get the EML--I'm guessing that the EML will be much better given the cost difference, but the inexpensive Russian blackplate is not bad at all.

rydenfan

« Reply #822 on: 20 Feb 2009, 12:48 am »
My EML arrived today and all I can say is... WOW! That is one big tube  :o

Where is Michael Scott when I need him??

Philistine

« Reply #823 on: 20 Feb 2009, 01:03 am »
My EML arrived today and all I can say is... WOW! That is one big tube  :o

Where is Michael Scott when I need him??

Congratulations David - It's a huge tube, but it's also a work of art.  I think it looks better than the 5U4's, just takes some getting used to.
Phil

rydenfan

« Reply #824 on: 20 Feb 2009, 01:15 am »
The whole thing is beautiful: the tube, the packaging, etc. but it will take a bit of getting used to.

Bigfish

« Reply #825 on: 20 Feb 2009, 02:10 am »
The whole thing is beautiful: the tube, the packaging, etc. but it will take a bit of getting used to.

David:

Please tell us your thoughts of the sound of the EML with the 6SN7s. 

My 6SN7s on on the way! :thumb:

Ken

rydenfan

« Reply #826 on: 20 Feb 2009, 02:15 am »

David:

Please tell us your thoughts of the sound of the EML with the 6SN7s. 

My 6SN7s on on the way! :thumb:

Ken

You know I will  :wink: I am going to put at least 75 hours on it before I really listen to it though (at least that is what I am telling myself).

ckline

• Tel Wire
« Reply #827 on: 20 Feb 2009, 02:21 am »
You know I will  :wink: I am going to put at least 75 hours on it before I really listen to it though (at least that is what I am telling myself).

I give him 10 more min.  :D

Wayne1

« Reply #828 on: 20 Feb 2009, 04:16 am »
Ted, George and David should have received the latest version of the Octal adapters today.

Hopefully none of them has caused their Transporter to explode  :o

If the guys like them, I should be able to have a small amount ready to ship in around a week.

If they hate them... back to the drawing board  :oops:

Audioclyde

« Reply #829 on: 20 Feb 2009, 12:06 pm »
Wayne, if you're taking names/making a list for the new adaptors as they become available, I'd like to be on it.

Thanks!

Randy

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #830 on: 20 Feb 2009, 12:53 pm »
Ted, George and David should have received the latest version of the Octal adapters today.

If the guys like them, I should be able to have a small amount ready to ship in around a week.

Mine arrived yesterday and I will try them tonight.

Thanks Wayne.

George

rydenfan

« Reply #831 on: 20 Feb 2009, 02:09 pm »

Mine have been running straight since Tuesday and all is well  :D I look forward to actually listening to them over the weekend.

jwes

« Reply #832 on: 20 Feb 2009, 02:51 pm »
Wayne,

I'm looking forward to trying these as well - please let us know when you have a design for which you want to make a few.  The 6SN7 world is huge!  Actually a bit scary for me - it looks sometimes like there are a ton to be had, but also seems the good ones are tough to find and expensive.  I guess that's what you call a market  :wink:

Jim

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #833 on: 20 Feb 2009, 02:54 pm »
Mine arrived yesterday, and I'll be testing it against the V1.  However, my TP is an early one with 1" holes so I need to do some manipulating and remove the cover (short term issue) before I give feedback....BTW, V1's are great!!

kenreau

« Reply #834 on: 20 Feb 2009, 04:16 pm »

I give him 10 more min.  :D

This reminds me of one of my favorite Seinfeld episodes....can David remain "master of his domain" and hold out 75 hours?  I bet he does a Cramer... :P

jwes

« Reply #835 on: 20 Feb 2009, 05:25 pm »
 :lol:  Hilarious.  Kramer went out the first day!

Audioclyde

« Reply #836 on: 20 Feb 2009, 10:15 pm »
My EML mesh rectifier arrived today, so it gets a workout this weekend!

mikel51

« Reply #837 on: 21 Feb 2009, 12:38 am »
Wayne, if you're taking names/making a list for the new adaptors as they become available, I'd like to be on it.

Thanks!

Randy

ditto here...I think we've already communicated about this via email or PM

mikel51

« Reply #838 on: 21 Feb 2009, 12:40 am »
Dan,
 If you are reading and still following this thread, can you make any comment on the virtues of 6sn7 vs 6cg7 and why you might have made the design consideration you did when you chose the 6cg7 as the standard.

Berto

« Reply #839 on: 21 Feb 2009, 03:19 am »
Well did a test with the MWTP vs stock, did a nice write-up last nite and guess I took too long cause the session times out and it all got erased :oops: So if this sounds a lil short , you know why.
     First off I just shipped my stock TP off to its new owner and although the MWTP blows it away, the stock unit still sounded pretty good and def got me hooked enough to go the Modified rout.
     I liked being able to hook up both TP's to same network and same Joule preamp as well as cue up same music for each one. If only my Joule has remote source switching I would never of had to get up. MWTP had all stock tubes and 160hrs at the time.
     I cued up Nora Jones "Don't know why" and her voice on MWTP had alot more depth and separation from the music, I could hear the pluck of the guitar as well. There was more air in her voice and it took on a more lifelike feel. The stock unit , i could hear the guitar but the no sense of actually fingers touching it, less separation as her voice did not jump out as much.
    I did say this would be short right , what the MWTP does for voices , air, separation (reduntant I know) , and top too bottom resolution just adds alot more depth and "real-ness" (made up word) to the music.
    Listening to the stock unit is in no way bad and it will compete with alot of CD players I'm sure, but listening to how the music make me feel is more important then anything else. With the stock unit I'm listening and enjoying, with the MWTP I'm simply INTOXICATED! Good Job Dan!
   PS..With the EML , I'm at the show :thumb: