ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

NickS

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #660 on: 29 Jan 2009, 10:18 pm »
I purchased an EML 5U4G Mesh Tube in mid-December

Ken,

Did you purchase the Mesh or solid plate EML?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #661 on: 29 Jan 2009, 10:42 pm »
Sounds like the tube is a real winner, and the size of it would help balance out my new adapters  :lol:

Hey, you stole that from me 13 posts up from yours!!!   :duel:       :D

Bigfish

« Reply #662 on: 30 Jan 2009, 12:07 am »
I purchased an EML 5U4G Mesh Tube in mid-December

Ken,

Did you purchase the Mesh or solid plate EML?

Hello Nick:

Mine is exactly as the one in Phil's pictures - The Mesh Version.

Ken

Philistine

« Reply #663 on: 30 Jan 2009, 12:43 am »
I finally moved my MW TP to my home system out of the beach house, which doesn't get as much use in the winter. So now I have time to roll tubes, finally.

One interesting coincidence is that my headphone amp, the Woo Audio WA6, uses the same rectifier (5AR4) as the MW TP.

So my tube rolling possibilities just multiplied.

I bought a Sophia Electric 274B tube for the WA6, described on the Woo site as "a premium rectifier tube for a 5U4/5R4/5AR4 direct replacement with 3X longer plate structure." This tube makes a *big* improvement with the head amp. Any reason it would NOT work in the MW TP?

Second question. I tried an Amperex GZ34 metal base in the headphone amp, and the output sounded congested. Any reason not to try this tube in the MW TP?

Finally, can someone recommend a source for the DRs? I'm looking to score a pair to play with before I send the TP out again for the power supply mod. Now that the TP is in the home system I don't want to part with it...

Amidst all the Octal and EML excitement I wanted to bump up the Sophia Electric - I saw great reviews (on the Head-Fi forum I believe) of it, if Dan gives you the  :thumb: on this please let us know how you get on with it. 

NickS

« Reply #664 on: 30 Jan 2009, 12:46 am »
Thanks, Ken...

I've been listening to my recently acquired mesh plate EML and my impressions are in line with those of others fortunate to have this special rectifier.

My struggle has been between the MB GZ34 and the very special Tung-Sol 5U4G VT-231.  The first conveys an excellent soundstage and is more forgiving with lesser quality recordings.  The latter truly shines in detail and precision, particularly with better recorded sources.  For the last several months these two rectifiers have been constantly swapped predicated upon the listening venue.

My hope was that the EML mesh plate would bridge the gap between the image and soundstage depth of the MB GZ34 and the detail and precision of the VV-231.

So far, with only a few hours on the EML, I'm most surprised with its qualities of timing and pace.  Soundstage is excellent as is detail, but the EML seems to have a speed that the others do not match.  The temporal space around notes seems to rise and decay with much more precision.  This creates a sound that is very musical and gratifying.

There is a long way to go, but so far I'm thrilled with the performance of the EML. 

As others have noticed, this is one spectacular work of art to behold.

...and very nice to hear as well.

owenmd

« Reply #665 on: 30 Jan 2009, 12:47 am »
Hi guys,

I'm happy that a few folks are now starting to confirm my positive thoughts on the EML mesh.... to me, it was head and shoulders above anything else I tried.... apart from the elusively expensive MB GZ34, which I'm now glad I didn't swing for.... almost.... phew...!

Since fitting the EML, I've pretty much forgotten about it and concentrated on other aspects of my system.... it just does its thing and does it very well.... I wish I felt that content about every other aspect of my system...!

Cheers,

Mark

Philistine

« Reply #666 on: 30 Jan 2009, 01:02 am »
Hi guys,

I'm happy that a few folks are now starting to confirm my positive thoughts on the EML mesh.... to me, it was head and shoulders above anything else I tried.... apart from the elusively expensive MB GZ34, which I'm now glad I didn't swing for.... almost.... phew...!

Since fitting the EML, I've pretty much forgotten about it and concentrated on other aspects of my system.... it just does its thing and does it very well.... I wish I felt that content about every other aspect of my system...!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for putting us onto this Mark.
We're all trying to use different words to articulate what this tube does - but the common denominator I see is that it just makes great music, I believe even more so than the mb GZ34.

owenmd

« Reply #667 on: 30 Jan 2009, 08:11 pm »
Hi Phil.... you're very welcome.... but I believe Thalvor was the first to mention this tube?

I bought mine around the same time as Thalvors first post after research on head-fi.... I would still like to know how a Sophia Princess compares.... if indeed it does actually work in a Transporter?  The EML and Sophia seem to be the two top tubes over on that forum?  I see there are several alternative flashy carbon (read expensive) versions of the Sophia too?

Cheers for the weekend.... boy, I wish draft Bass tasted like it's supposed to here!

Mark

mikel51

« Reply #668 on: 31 Jan 2009, 02:54 pm »
arghhhhhhh....you guys are mean :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

I thought I was done with my metal base GZ34 and 6h30DR tubes.....now it seems that I need a mesh 5u4G and to start rolling 6sn7s :cry: :cry: :cry: :

rydenfan

« Reply #669 on: 31 Jan 2009, 03:06 pm »
The vicious circle of tube rolling  :wink:

NickS

« Reply #670 on: 31 Jan 2009, 03:10 pm »

Hey David... what are your latest impressions of the 6sn7's in your TP?  Have you compared them head on with your better 6CG7's?

Bigfish

« Reply #671 on: 31 Jan 2009, 03:12 pm »
arghhhhhhh....you guys are mean :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

I thought I was done with my metal base GZ34 and 6h30DR tubes.....now it seems that I need a mesh 5u4G and to start rolling 6sn7s :cry: :cry: :cry: :

Mike:

Tube rolling is so addictive and the ModWright Transporter makes it all too easy. :duh:  It would be great if tubes did not affect the sound from our systems but fortunately and unfortunately they do.  The only real down-side is the cost of the better sounding tubes. :bawl:  I am really happy with the EML 5U4G Mesh combined with RCA 6CG7's (Kuhl Version) and therefore I going to let you guys have all the fun with the 6SN7's. :lol:

Ken

rydenfan

« Reply #672 on: 31 Jan 2009, 03:16 pm »

Hey David... what are your latest impressions of the 6sn7's in your TP?  Have you compared them head on with your better 6CG7's?

Nick, I have compared them and it is not much of a comparison  :o The Tung Sol black glass 6SN7's are out of this world. Keep in mind these tubes are about $450 (if you can find them) and the RCA Cleartop 6CG7's are about $48, so you would hope for some difference. All of the detail that I loved with the 6CG7's are there plus some, but the improvements in midrange warmth/musicality plus soundstaging are just amazing.
They sound so good that this is why I did not buy the hot new mesh plate rectifier that everyone is raving about. I am on the hunt for a pair of the Tung Sols and gonna put my cash towards them because I know how good they sound in my system.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #673 on: 31 Jan 2009, 03:20 pm »

Nick, I have compared them and it is not much of a comparison  :o The Tung Sol black glass 6SN7's are out of this world. Keep in mind these tubes are about $450 (if you can find them) and the RCA Cleartop 6CG7's are about $48, so you would hope for some difference. All of the detail that I loved with the 6CG7's are there plus some, but the improvements in midrange warmth/musicality plus soundstaging are just amazing.
They sound so good that this is why I did not buy the hot new mesh plate rectifier that everyone is raving about. I am on the hunt for a pair of the Tung Sols and gonna put my cash towards them because I know how good they sound in my system.

Not very surprising results David.

The Tung Sol black glass, round plates are pretty much universally looked upon as the best 6SN7 tube ever made.

That being said, let us know if you prefer the more modest Raytheon and Slyvania 6SN7 tubes over the Cleartops.

Wayne said I should have my adapters early next week and I am  :drool: :drool: with anticipation.

George

NickS

« Reply #674 on: 31 Jan 2009, 03:21 pm »
Dave,  Are you using the TS 6sn7 with your HW GZ37 or an MB GZ34?

rydenfan

« Reply #675 on: 31 Jan 2009, 03:22 pm »
George, I will let you know this weekend. That is #1 on my list  :D

I cant wait to see what you think of the adapters  :thumb:

rydenfan

« Reply #676 on: 31 Jan 2009, 03:23 pm »
Dave,  Are you using the TS 6sn7 with your HW GZ37 or an MB GZ34?

HW GZ37

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #677 on: 31 Jan 2009, 03:27 pm »
I just ordered a mesh plate this morning, and will report back as well.  I'm hoping a couple of George's loaner 6SN7's (espec. the round plates) make their way here as they move up the Coast back to new England.   :drool:  I'll be able to report on a mesh plate/round plates combo.

rydenfan

« Reply #678 on: 31 Jan 2009, 03:32 pm »
Sweeet Ted! I cant wait to see what you think of the mesh plate. I guess I need to stop being cheap and try one as well  :wink:

NickS

« Reply #679 on: 31 Jan 2009, 03:35 pm »
I just ordered a mesh plate this morning, and will report back as well.  I'm hoping a couple of George's loaner 6SN7's (espec. the round plates) make their way here as they move up the Coast back to new England.   :drool:  I'll be able to report on a mesh plate/round plates combo.

Looking forward to hearing your assessment, Ted. This combo could be a popular destination for many of us.  I listened to my mesh plate with some black plate 6CG7's last evening and was extremely pleased with the sound.  Still no turbo mod though.  Looking like that will happen mid February as I have some travel to distract me from the empty space on the rack while the unit is with Dan.