ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

rydenfan

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #560 on: 21 Dec 2008, 02:38 am »
I received my second NOS Mullard fatbase today in anticipation of my upcoming PS upgrade. It is from '59. I cannot remember the date code of the one that is currently in my 36.5. Once I have the PS for awhile I would like to try a set of Amperex's and compare and contast them to the Mullards.

rydenfan

« Reply #561 on: 21 Dec 2008, 02:39 am »
I am also going to put the new fatbase in the TP so I can compare it to the HW GZ37.

funkmonkey

« Reply #562 on: 21 Dec 2008, 02:59 am »
Looking forward to your results with the dual fat bases (TP + 36.5)...  I stuck the HW in my Transporter today and that thing is tall too.  Just barely fits under the self.  Letting it break in a bit, but I do notice a little more detail with this tube over the stock 5u4G.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #563 on: 21 Dec 2008, 05:06 am »
With Brent Jesse's help I was able to bring my second mb back to life (it had died due to broken solder joint in pin tip, Brent's hunch, and a simple tiny drop of solder fixed it perfectly).  Anyway, I'm becoming a real fan of 5AR4's in the TP.  I like MB's, fat bases and good ole single O top getter black bases.  My faves prior to the hyperdrive upgrade were 5U4G's and GB's but now like the more balanced 5AR4's..at least this month  :D

I was hearing some midbass hump with my other mb, but not this newly revived one.  That being said, I like the sound of the fat base in the TP too.  David, I think you'll love4 dual fat abses in the 36.5 PS...just a hunch.   :)

Bigfish

« Reply #564 on: 23 Dec 2008, 05:57 pm »
Guys:

Here is a picture of my Transporter with the EML-5U4G Tube.  After burning in for more than 90 hours I ran comparisons today to my previous standard, a metal base GZ-34.  Note that I said previous because in my system the EML is a better tube.  Base is tighter and instruments are more distinct.  YRMV!

I should add that I selected 5 of my favorite tunes and played them with the EML.  I then shut-off the Transporter and switched in the MB and powered the unit back on.  After having some lunch I sat down and listened to the 5 tracks again.  I had this sensation that something was missing and after reinstalling the EML it was there again.  This hobby is all about preferences and I have found my new rectifier tube.  When the EML Mesh tubes become available to allow me to purchase a spare I will have a MB GZ-34 for sale.

Ken

rydenfan

« Reply #565 on: 23 Dec 2008, 06:08 pm »
Ken, the EML tube does not give up anything in terms of details and resolution?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #566 on: 23 Dec 2008, 06:13 pm »
Holy shnykies...that thing is huge (I know, I know...."that's what she said").  Maybe the physical tube is acting as a room damper and that's why the bass is tighter.   :D

Philistine

« Reply #567 on: 23 Dec 2008, 06:33 pm »
Thanks for the update on the EML 5U4G Ken, I was waiting patiently for your 100 hours to come up.
Great news on finding an alternative to the mb GZ34, we now have another option at a reasonable price that is available (just has a 4 week lead time at worst case scenario) - we just need taller shelves.

It looks like you have a pair of 6H30's in the TP - any feedback on how it synergies with other signal tubes or are you just going to keep the 6H30's as a constant?

Bigfish

« Reply #568 on: 23 Dec 2008, 06:47 pm »
Thanks for the update on the EML 5U4G Ken, I was waiting patiently for your 100 hours to come up.
Great news on finding an alternative to the mb GZ34, we now have another option at a reasonable price that is available (just has a 4 week lead time at worst case scenario) - we just need taller shelves.

It looks like you have a pair of 6H30's in the TP - any feedback on how it synergies with other signal tubes or are you just going to keep the 6H30's as a constant?

I have company coming this afternoon and therefore had to compare the EML to the MB just before it obtained the 100 hours.  No, I have not switched signal tubes yet but plan to evaluate others at my first opportunity and yes they are the 6H30DRs. 

My son is coming home for a week and sometime while he is here I will run a test on him to determine if he also prefers the EML to the MB or vice versa.

Merry Christmas!

Ken

orientalexpress

« Reply #569 on: 24 Dec 2008, 01:29 pm »
Tubesusa.com had emission lab 5U4G metal base in stock now,i just got me a christmas gift  :thumb:,Merry Christmas everyone.

lapsan

rydenfan

« Reply #570 on: 24 Dec 2008, 01:47 pm »
Lapsan, what we are looking for is the mesh plate version which they are out of stock on. I am not sure how the solid plate and the mesh plate compare.

Philistine

« Reply #571 on: 24 Dec 2008, 01:55 pm »
Lapsan, what we are looking for is the mesh plate version which they are out of stock on. I am not sure how the solid plate and the mesh plate compare.

David - in an earlier post Mr P (Mark) mentioned he had both the mesh and solid plate versions, we'll get an idea of the differences (if any) when he posts his findings. Phil

Bigfish

« Reply #572 on: 24 Dec 2008, 03:23 pm »
Guys:

This review provides some interesting details and comparisons of mesh-style tubes:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/emission-labs-eml-274b-pics-small-review-vs-sophia-princess-274b-354055/

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Ken

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #573 on: 24 Dec 2008, 04:26 pm »
Yes, from all I have read..and the people I have spoken to, the mesh plate is the one!  The solid plate is not in the same league.

Mr P

« Reply #574 on: 24 Dec 2008, 05:08 pm »
Yes, from all I have read..and the people I have spoken to, the mesh plate is the one!  The solid plate is not in the same league.

I have both the mesh plate and and solid plate EM 5U4Gs.  By early next week I should have 100 hours on each as well as having the hyper drive mod broken in.  I will post results shortly after.  I am listening to the solid plate now.  At this point (25 hours) it sounds very, very good teamed up with a pair of RCA Cleartops.  I too am very interested in the differences.

Mark

orientalexpress

« Reply #575 on: 24 Dec 2008, 07:13 pm »
Doh, :duh:,my first second tube buy ,RCA clear top is my first,i hope is match up pretty well. :green:

lapsan

Wayne1

« Reply #576 on: 24 Dec 2008, 08:42 pm »
Merry Christmas, all ye Modwright tube rollers.

Some time ago, I spoke with Ted_b about adding another option into your tube rolling arsenal.

At long last I have completed a pair of prototypes that will be going out to Ted this week.

Octal to 9 pin base adapters!

No you can try out all the REALLY expensive octal signal tubes in your Modwright Transporter  :lol:

Just imagine a nice pair of NOS 6SN7s glowing along with that EM 5u4G  :wink:

The adapters are built to Ted's specs to allow them to fit through the existing hole in the top of the Transporter.

Please check with Dan before you you use ANY tube in place of the 6H30.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #577 on: 24 Dec 2008, 08:56 pm »
 :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Thanks Wayne!!  I can't wait to get the adapters.  I have a pair of CBS/Hytron and a pair of KenRad 6SN7's along with a pair of RCA silver letters coming.  I'll post back.  Wow, it looks very cool...and now the tube height will balance with those nasty tall mesh plates!! :drool:

rydenfan

« Reply #578 on: 24 Dec 2008, 09:24 pm »

Some time ago, I spoke with Ted_b about adding another option into your tube rolling arsenal.

At long last I have completed a pair of prototypes that will be going out to Ted this week.

No you can try out all the REALLY expensive octal signal tubes in your Modwright Transporter  :lol:

The adapters are built to Ted's specs to allow them to fit through the existing hole in the top of the Transporter.

This is great news, Wayne!! I am so glad to see this happening. Please let me know as soon as you are ready to build a second set  :thumb:

Philistine

« Reply #579 on: 24 Dec 2008, 09:39 pm »

:notworthy: Nice job as always Wayne.

I can imagine all the tube vendors now having Porsche test drives based on the extra business they've got coming in 2009 :thumb:
The savvy amongst us can convert our 401K's into NOS 6SN7's.
In the meantime we can sit back and wait for the verdict from El Presidente.