ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #520 on: 9 Dec 2008, 11:49 pm »
ooops, double post

delete please

NickS

« Reply #521 on: 10 Dec 2008, 12:05 am »
Nick,
Nice write-up.  Where did you find the rare VT244?  Where does it rate compared to standard TS 5U4G or GB?

Ted,

I found the NOS VT244 on an eBay auction offered by a chap in France a while back.  Wound up paying about haf the going rate for a MB GZ34.

This rectifier seems to be much smoother with great high end extension than my other 5U4G's which include RCA, Tung-Sol and Sylvania brands.  It is significantly more linear than any of my 5U4GB's which all tend to be boomy and somewhat top end starved in my system.  It really shines with my better 6CG7's and 6H30-DR tubes on music where details are valued.

The MB GZ34 still "rocks" in my system when the subject matter becomes more dense and favors image and soundstage.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #522 on: 10 Dec 2008, 12:23 am »
NickS,
Thanks.  You're the third person to speak of the TS 5U4GB as boomy and somewhat rolled off.  I've just repalced my pair of them (in the 36.5) with a pair of G versions and gonna let them warm up a bit.  Maybe the metal base (and even the DR's) in the TP will sound better without the added GB boominess (that I hadn't heard until you guys have planted it in my brain...:)   ).  Right now i'm sticking with the mb/6CG7 TP combo though...the DR's in the TP will wait.

JG2

« Reply #523 on: 10 Dec 2008, 12:42 am »
Hi Nick,

I'm glad someone picked up that TS 5U4G / VT244 (top getter) from France. I posted that it was on E-Bay & the real deal last June and wondered if a MWTP owner had snagged it. TS really didn't make a bad tube, but the TS 5U4G / VT244 is reported to be perhaps the best 5U4G of all with great bass, magical.

Nice score, Nick!

RodneyM

« Reply #524 on: 10 Dec 2008, 01:04 am »
Good day to everyone.

Please, please everyone, give me a must have list of tubes to stock and sell on www.vtubeaudio.com for the ModWright Transporter. Email this to me and I promise to remember your help and return the favor to you.

So far, from my own ears the winners are the 6H30N-DP early 1980's with the diamond etching on the tube and the Mullard branded Philips GZ34 1950's single top O getter.

I am purchasing tubes based on what you guys want and based on what I hear.
As soon as VtubeAudio is birthed and not just in development I am having the programmers / web developers include automatic discounted pricing for every single tube if you are an audiocircle member, period! You guys actually taught me a lot about tube rolling. I admit it. Any suggestions on perks that you should be considered as well are very, very welcome. I live on ideas and can only conjure up so many of them on my own.  Now, it is time for my honest assessment and final choice for tubes to use in Dan’s incredible source component.
This is my attempt to describe what I have heard after rolling nearly every tube mentioned in this forum and picking the best. To be honest, trying to find the real world words to describe the audio qualities heard by rolling tubes is challenging.
The 6H30N-DP early 80's or even 1970's sound qualities that I hear are as listed below.
Audio Qualities include:
1. Music that is presented with three-dimensionality.
2. Sound free from unwanted distortion even at very loud volumes.
3. Detailed audio reproduction without sacrificing musicality.
4. A smooth, silky hi frequency musical rendition without coloration.
5. Bass and midrange frequencies that are natural, solid and real, in the sense that nothing gets left out or added.

The MB GZ34 is year specific. Every year has different harmonics (the good, the bad and the ugly).
Harmonics from our tube rolling excursions are what we are hearing when we notice distinctions in the sound. It really boils down to distortion and that is what harmonics and the laws behind them are all about.

I think we should talk about this subject. Great, pleasing audio quality = great pleasing harmonics (distortion). Modern day equipment strips distortion in an effort to reproduce the original recording. This doesn't work, as far as my ears are concerned. We like and need our audio to have a pleasing feel to it. Everything around us, including your furniture and the shape of the room affects the sounds that you hear. This is nature in action and removing that which has been around since the beginning of time, distortion, is not always cool. We need the harmonic instance of it to be happy with the sounds that we hear.

Call me "out there" if you want to but if you strip the sound of its harmonics you are stripping the audio of what our ears need in order to be happy, to be pleased and it is exactly what is magical in the emotional and mystical side of music.

Top choices for me:
1. 6H30N-DP early 1980's with either the black base Mullard 1950's Top O getter rectifier or one step below that the infamous metal base gz34 (Mullard) 1957 rectifiers.

Take care, everyone, and have a wonderful week and a fantastic and joyful holiday season.

NickS

« Reply #525 on: 10 Dec 2008, 01:53 am »
Hi Nick,

I'm glad someone picked up that TS 5U4G / VT244 (top getter) from France. I posted that it was on E-Bay & the real deal last June and wondered if a MWTP owner had snagged it. TS really didn't make a bad tube, but the TS 5U4G / VT244 is reported to be perhaps the best 5U4G of all with great bass, magical.

Nice score, Nick!

Hey Jg,

It was your thoughtful post that guided me to this special tube.  Took nearly four weeks for it to transit cross the pond but it finally arrived impeccably packed. 

Very much enjoyed ever since.

Thanks again,

Nick

rydenfan

« Reply #526 on: 10 Dec 2008, 01:58 am »
Sounds like a cool tube Nick  :thumb: I will have to keep my eye out for one.

JG2

« Reply #527 on: 10 Dec 2008, 02:31 am »
Very cool, Nick! Glad to see it go to a good home with a TP.

I had only read rave reviews of this tube and had not heard one myself. Happy that you were able to give it a whirl AND that it indeed lives up to the hype. It was pretty odd to find a late 40's early 50's (?) US made Tung Sol tube in France of all places. I have bought most of my metal base GZ34's in Europe but then again, they were made in Holland.

Now that you've given us a nice review, I'll have to hunt down one of those bad boy's for myself!

rydenfan

« Reply #528 on: 10 Dec 2008, 02:58 am »
John, how about you try and hunt down two of them?  :wink:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #529 on: 10 Dec 2008, 03:04 am »
Three of them!   :D

Uh oh, do I  detect a power buy?   :lol:

There's an RCA Jan VT244 pair on Ebay for $119 I think (damn Microsoft cashback only worth 8% right now).  And lo and behold, they are from France.   :thumb:

JG2

« Reply #530 on: 10 Dec 2008, 05:46 am »
France.....................Who would have thought the better US made VT-244's on E-Bay are now in France!

Here is a very good tested pair from the 40's. NOT top getter Tung Sols but still a pretty good pair.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sylvania-VT-244-JAN-CHS-5U4G-MP-1940s_W0QQitemZ130273629273QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item130273629273&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

rydenfan

« Reply #531 on: 10 Dec 2008, 07:54 pm »
John, do you know how the RCA or Ratheon VT-244's compare to the Tung Sol? I have access to a few at a great price. As well as Kenrad and Cunninghams

JG2

« Reply #532 on: 10 Dec 2008, 08:40 pm »
Hi David,

I have a KenRad VT-244/5U4G which is a very nice tube. The info I have is from a tube guy who's opinions I have grown to trust. He has since shown himself to be less than honest or perhaps a thief according to some posts regarding his tube sales. This, however does not diminish his knowledge and his opinions are just that, his opinion. I have used his advice regarding the metal base GZ34, Mullard 5AR4/GZ34,  5687's and 5U4G/GB and his experience/opinion has been a value to me and spot on.

Here is the link:
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=tubes&n=54508&highlight=Robert+experience+on+5u4g&r=

JG2

« Reply #533 on: 10 Dec 2008, 08:42 pm »
Sorry, screwed up my edit......

JG2

« Reply #534 on: 10 Dec 2008, 08:45 pm »
Yikes! make that a TRIPLE post!!!

rydenfan

« Reply #535 on: 10 Dec 2008, 08:52 pm »
Thanks John  :D Very informative post.

Bigfish

« Reply #536 on: 19 Dec 2008, 10:42 pm »
I just received and installed a new EML-5U4G Mesh tube in my Transporter.  It is the most beautiful tube I have ever seen but man this is really large.  From the top of my shelf to the top is the tube is 8.75."  I will reserve any comments on how it compares to the MB GZ-34 until after it burns-in for 100 hours.

Ken

rydenfan

« Reply #537 on: 19 Dec 2008, 11:02 pm »
Are there any more available?

Bigfish

« Reply #538 on: 19 Dec 2008, 11:23 pm »
Are there any more available?

No, I was on a waiting list and got very lucky as a tube that had been sold became available.  All dealers are indicating 2 to 4 weeks before a supply is expected.

Ken

funkmonkey

« Reply #539 on: 19 Dec 2008, 11:43 pm »
I just received and installed a new EML-5U4G Mesh tube in my Transporter.  It is the most beautiful tube I have ever seen but man this is really large.  From the top of my shelf to the top is the tube is 8.75."  I will reserve any comments on how it compares to the MB GZ-34 until after it burns-in for 100 hours.

Ken

:bawl:  definitely too tall for my cabinet...  I will have to make due with the smaller HW CV-378 (I recently acquired a NOS October '52 build), or my (1964)Tung-Sol 5AS4 or perhaps the mystery Rogers 5U4G, or the ('61)Mullard GZ34 [fat base]...  I'm on the hunt for another Mullard so I can try one in the TP and one in the 36.5...  but of course I have to wait for another week or two before I can tell much of a difference (I will have my HT3's by then) as rolling with my current speakers yields very little difference, but I am having a lot of fun looking around for good/great deals on these tubes.  I can see how this could become very addictive.  :rock:

-Funk