ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

rydenfan

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #320 on: 26 Sep 2008, 09:01 pm »
Anyone want to send me an extra set???  :thumb:

Philistine

« Reply #321 on: 26 Sep 2008, 09:38 pm »
I'll send you a pair David.

rydenfan

« Reply #322 on: 26 Sep 2008, 10:12 pm »
I'll send you a pair David.

Thanks so much! I will PM you my info.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #323 on: 26 Sep 2008, 10:23 pm »
Takka to Thalvor for sending me a pair of his vintage 6n6p's.  Also, I just won my own pair of 1962 vintage 6n6p's on Ebay (all of $12).  I'll report back soon (shipping from Norway and Ukraine respectively....something tells me David's tubes from Phil will arrive a bit sooner..... :D  )

thalvor

« Reply #324 on: 27 Sep 2008, 01:43 pm »
Thanks ted_b. Having led some of you down the 6n6p-track I want to say that I don't have any SS in my system something that means that tube matching in the different components can be a bit tricky. The 6n6p in the transporter works very nice together with my pre- and amp, but does not fit equally well with my tubed headphone amp  :roll:

Getting the "choir" of tubes to sing in harmony can be a challenge, but also part of the fun with tube-gear. Hope the 6n6p will turn out to be a good match for more than me. At least I haven't lead you down a track that leads to economic ruin... :)

ndeslions

« Reply #325 on: 28 Sep 2008, 07:02 am »
I use the same tubes on both my 36.5 + ext PS and Transporter : 6H30DR and GZ37 Mullard Coke bottle.
The coke bottle GZ37 sounds better than the GZ34 Metal base in my setup : more rich, natural, more articulated bass.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #326 on: 28 Sep 2008, 01:08 pm »
Ndeslions,
As I posted earlier in this thread, I tried the DR's in both spots too, in the 2 box 36.5 and the TP.  I found they were too much of a good thing and overdid the midrange, upper bass a bit.  Do you have any issues with that in your setup?  Maybe the GZ37's are a nice counterpoint?  Hmmmm

rydenfan

« Reply #327 on: 28 Sep 2008, 03:08 pm »
As I mentioned earlier in the thread the double use of the DR's did not work well for me, and I use a HW GZ 37 Rectifier. It was just too much of the same for me. I gained better detail and top in by placing my RCA Cleartop 6CG7's back into the Transporter while having the DR's in my 36.5. Of course YMMV

Ndeslions, I had the same experience as you with the GZ37. It was a better fit for me in my Transporter than a metal base GZ34. I use a Mullard fat base 5AR4 in my 36.5

Bigfish

« Reply #328 on: 29 Sep 2008, 12:12 am »
Thalvor:

Thanks for the recommendation of the 6N6P's.  I just snagged 8 of them on ebay for $24.50.  At that price if I don't like them in the Transporter I use them somehow in my tackle box.  Ha, Ha!

Concerning the GZ-34 Metal Base on ebay, it is up to $190.00 with over 2 days left on the auction.  The picture of the tube is of one that appears in excellent shape.  I bet the final price on it exceeds $425.00 - we'll see!

Enjoy the ModWright Transporter.

Well the auction ended a short time ago and the tube sold for $370.85. 

thalvor

« Reply #329 on: 29 Sep 2008, 02:07 pm »
Bigfish:

You're welcome - hope you'll enjoy them!

I also happen to enjoy both fishing and quality stereo gear. Is there an unknown connection here?

Philistine

« Reply #330 on: 2 Oct 2008, 01:15 am »
Not sure this is the relevant thread to post this - but gets the most traffic.

Bybee Filters
On a recent, non-related thread, feedback from well respected members is that Bybee Filters in the power supply section of a power amp have the potential to offer a noticeable improvement to its performance.  Many of the guys who hang out on the forum, users and modders, consider Bybees are an option that can bring benefits and, on this basis, I had Dan add these for me with the original mod he carried out.  I've not had the chance to A/B these with TP without the Bybees, so cannot comment on the value of having them or not.  Has anyone else gone down this path, and if so any feedback?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #331 on: 2 Oct 2008, 01:43 am »
I use Bybee AC filters on my power cords.  Can't comment on what the sound is without them though.  haven't a/b'd...just always used my trusty Bybee Quantum AC filters.

mgalusha

« Reply #332 on: 2 Oct 2008, 02:21 am »
I am very interested in reading what folks think of the 6N6P vs the 6H30. I don't own one of Dan's Transporters (no budget for that at the moment) but my hot rodded Squeezebox has a tube output stage using the 6N6P which I was inspired to use by Lukasz' Lampizator site. I have tried several types of 6N1P vs the 6N6P and I prefer the 6N6P in my rig but I'm really interested in how they compare to the 6H30. I know it's a different circuit but one always has the desire to find the best combination. :)

mike 

Jerrym303

• GJ Madigan Legacy Fly Rods
« Reply #333 on: 2 Oct 2008, 02:36 am »
Mike,

you can borrow my 6h30's for a while if you like.  I am running RCA cleartops at the moment.

I'll be checking people in at RMAF on Friday if you want to try a hand-off.

Jerry

mgalusha

« Reply #334 on: 2 Oct 2008, 02:44 am »
you can borrow my 6h30's for a while if you like.  I am running RCA cleartops at the moment.

Jerry,

That's very generous of you. I'll be helping Mike Garner in one of his rooms (probably the Analysis Audio room as I think Ted is going to lend a hand in the SP Tech room) so I'll be there Thursday through Sunday and I'll be sure to stop by the front desk and find you. :) I can bring you a set of 6N6P's to try if you like, I too purchased 8 of them from the Ukraine for dirt cheap. I will likely drag my player along as a backup and perhaps I can sneak in an after hours tube rolling session. :)

mike

Philistine

« Reply #335 on: 2 Oct 2008, 03:06 am »

Jerry,

That's very generous of you. I'll be helping Mike Garner in one of his rooms (probably the Analysis Audio room as I think Ted is going to lend a hand in the SP Tech room) so I'll be there Thursday through Sunday and I'll be sure to stop by the front desk and find you. :) I can bring you a set of 6N6P's to try if you like, I too purchased 8 of them from the Ukraine for dirt cheap. I will likely drag my player along as a backup and perhaps I can sneak in an after hours tube rolling session. :)

mike

Mike - didn't see you use the DR suffix for the 6H30's but guess that's what you mean as the new 6H30's (average) and the DR's (excellent) have a completely different sound.

mgalusha

« Reply #336 on: 2 Oct 2008, 04:23 pm »
Mike - didn't see you use the DR suffix for the 6H30's but guess that's what you mean as the new 6H30's (average) and the DR's (excellent) have a completely different sound.

I don't know which ones Jerry has but yes, If I were to buy a pair the DR version is what they would be. :) I do have a pair of the 6H30Pi Octal's that I have the itch to do something with but so far have not. I have no idea how they compare to the 9 pin versions but the specs are pretty stunning as it will dissipate about 3x the power of a 9pin 6H30 and has about 1/3 the plate resistance. So far I'm very happy with the 6N6P but then again it's (I'm sure) a different circuit than what Dan is using in the Transporter.

rpf

« Reply #337 on: 3 Oct 2008, 03:40 am »
Not sure this is the relevant thread to post this - but gets the most traffic.

Bybee Filters
On a recent, non-related thread, feedback from well respected members is that Bybee Filters in the power supply section of a power amp have the potential to offer a noticeable improvement to its performance.  Many of the guys who hang out on the forum, users and modders, consider Bybees are an option that can bring benefits and, on this basis, I had Dan add these for me with the original mod he carried out.  I've not had the chance to A/B these with TP without the Bybees, so cannot comment on the value of having them or not.  Has anyone else gone down this path, and if so any feedback?

I've had Bybee filters in a number of products. On the Pwr. Supply of my Modwright Sig. Truth Sony 9100, and on both the Pwr. Supply and Analog Outs of a Modwright SWL 9.0 and Modwright Absolute Truth Philips SACD 1000. On the latter two I've had the units both with and without the Bybees. I've also had the Bolder RCA Inline Bybees.

My experience with them is that they do act to reduce the noise level, giving a blacker background. However, I find too many of them in a system, or outside of the Power Supply (on Analog Outs, on ICs), thin out the midrange.

Jerrym303

• GJ Madigan Legacy Fly Rods
« Reply #338 on: 3 Oct 2008, 04:19 am »
Mike,

Mine are DR's.  I'll bring them with me.

Jerry

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #339 on: 4 Oct 2008, 04:28 am »
I use the same tubes on both my 36.5 + ext PS and Transporter : 6H30DR and GZ37 Mullard Coke bottle.
The coke bottle GZ37 sounds better than the GZ34 Metal base in my setup : more rich, natural, more articulated bass.

Ndeslions,
What GZ37 do you use?  I notice a number of them on Ebay but none are David's High Wycombe that he got from rpf  Not sure what the next best is...and with Ebay buy-it-now at 30% off (cashback) now might be a time to try one. 

I just got my 6N6P's from thalvor...thank you Thomas!  I assume they are NOS and need 100 hrs or so.  Tonight, completely fresh out of the box, they were underwhelming but unfair to say frankly.  I won't report back until I've broken them in properly.