Cheap/cheerful network audio player?

chgolatin2

Cheap/cheerful network audio player?
« on: 18 Feb 2019, 04:24 am »
Well, I haven't posted in quite some time but here it goes...  Looking for a decently priced network audio player, I stream through Tidal, Pandora, and Spotify and I wish at least obtain better quality audio so suggestions, ideas needed.  Don't know much about network audio players, DAC's etc etc.  Thanks in advance~

OzarkTom

Re: Cheap/cheerful network audio player?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2019, 01:15 pm »
Well, I haven't posted in quite some time but here it goes...  Looking for a decently priced network audio player, I stream through Tidal, Pandora, and Spotify and I wish at least obtain better quality audio so suggestions, ideas needed.  Don't know much about network audio players, DAC's etc etc.  Thanks in advance~

The Klipsch Gate has been mentioned. Now about $33 on Amazon. Go to Ebay to find a C&C connecting cable.  :scratch: But it may not work as a DAC.

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-1063275-Gateway-Wireless-Multi-Room/dp/B01M5B793S/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3FPS3LD0LB2TD&keywords=klipsch+gate&qid=1550495565&s=gateway&sprefix=klipsch+gate%2Caps%2C368&sr=8-2

chgolatin2

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2019, 03:07 pm »
Hmmmm, not sure what $33 investment will get me but I'm looking for something of better quality, less than $500 or $600.  I know that $33 is super cheap and cheerful but, ouch~  I'll pass...  Any other recommendations?

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2019, 03:12 pm »
Is the Klipsch Gate a streamer or just a streaming gateway? It's not clear to me if their phone app is used just to control the Gate or if the phone app is streaming to the Gate. Can someone clarify this?

Perhaps a Bluesound node2i?

https://www.bluesound.com/products/node-2i/

witchdoctor

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2019, 03:16 pm »
Hmmmm, not sure what $33 investment will get me but I'm looking for something of better quality, less than $500 or $600.  I know that $33 is super cheap and cheerful but, ouch~  I'll pass...  Any other recommendations?

Just wanted to chime in on the Gate as a streamer. The SQ is VERY analog like, it presents music very effortlessly, it just flows. I have done A/B comparisons in my system with the Bluesound Node ($499) and the DAC in my Marantz 7702 processor ($2000). The Gate wins with both redbook and hirez files to my ear. The Node wins for MQA. Here is my review and check out the review by Quboz I posted. If you insist on spending more money you will need to spend over $500 to beat it IMO:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=162286.0

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2019, 03:19 pm »
Is the Klipsch Gate a streamer or just a streaming gateway? It's not clear to me if their phone app is used just to control the Gate or if the phone app is streaming to the Gate. Can someone clarify this?

The phone app allows you to select what source you want to stream and what "zone" or "zones" you want to listen in. The Gate has both an A/D converter and a DAC. It is a streamer, not a gateway. If you want both a sytreamer and a Gateway you will need a product with an Spdif out of which there are many.

I own the Node and unless you want MQA would recommend the Gate, even if it was the same price as the Node.

witchdoctor

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2019, 03:20 pm »
The Gate is part of the DTS Play-Fi ecosystem, here is a video on how the app works. All the products in the ecosystem utilize the same app:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqNTCHKiong

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2019, 03:22 pm »
The phone app allows you to select what source you want to stream and what "zone" or "zones" you want to listen in. The Gate has both an A/D converter and a DAC. It is a streamer, not a gateway. If you want both a sytreamer and a Gateway you will need a product with an Spdif out of which there are many.

I own the Node and unless you want MQA would recommend the Gate, even if it was the same price as the Node.

So once I have chosen the stream (Tidal, Pandora, Tunein)  and the zone I can close the  phone app?

witchdoctor

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2019, 03:23 pm »
So once I have chosen the stream (Tidal, Pandora, Tunein)  and the zone I can close the  phone app?

You can minimize it and use other apps but would leave it running in the background.

witchdoctor

« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2019, 03:32 pm »
If you want to drop more coin I would recommend the Paradigm PW Link. It is also part of the DTS Play-Fi ecosysytem but has some additional features. It has digital in and digital out ports so you can feed your signal into a DAC. The Gate is analog connections only. The game changing feature is ARC room correction which make a HUGE difference if you are not using room correction already. I own the sister product, the Paradigm PW Amp and it is excellent. The Link is about $199 on sale (I think $349 MSRP):

https://www.amazon.com/Paradigm-Shift-Premium-Wireless-Link/dp/B07CYL6ZMN/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1_sspa?keywords=paradigm+pw+link&qid=1550503612&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1

OzarkTom

« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2019, 03:37 pm »

I have a 2i coming in tomorrow. Whathifi rerated the 2 down to a 3 for SQ, and now has the 2i as a 5 in SQ. Other reviewers say the 2i is quite a bit better than the 2.

witchdoctor

« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb 2019, 03:39 pm »
I have a 2i coming in tomorrow. Whathifi rerated the 2 down to a 3 for SQ, and now has the 2i as a 5 in SQ. Other reviewers say the 2i is quite a bit better than the 2.

Congrats! Make sure to checkout the MQA Masters Playlists on Tidal (the Motown one is great), tons of new content being dropped all the time.

OzarkTom

« Reply #12 on: 18 Feb 2019, 05:32 pm »
Congrats! Make sure to checkout the MQA Masters Playlists on Tidal (the Motown one is great), tons of new content being dropped all the time.

:thumb:

audiobomber

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2019, 04:29 pm »
How are you streaming now, what gear? What are you trying to achieve? If you are simply streaming and listening through a computer, you might consider just getting a DAC/amp. If you want to be able to stream wirelessly to several devices, a more comprehensive solution is needed. 

yardbird

« Reply #14 on: 1 Mar 2019, 03:05 pm »
I am intrigued by the Paradigm PW Link. I am currently using a Chromecast Audio dig out to a Wadia 121 and then into a Folsom amp and Elac 6.2. Sounds just dandy for a casual listening rig. I use pandora, Tidal and am Trialing Quboz. The room correction is interesting (mic is included). Currently $157 through Paradigm. I could add Alexa later if I wanted.

Wonder if it would sound better?

witchdoctor

« Reply #15 on: 1 Mar 2019, 05:53 pm »
I am intrigued by the Paradigm PW Link. I am currently using a Chromecast Audio dig out to a Wadia 121 and then into a Folsom amp and Elac 6.2. Sounds just dandy for a casual listening rig. I use pandora, Tidal and am Trialing Quboz. The room correction is interesting (mic is included). Currently $157 through Paradigm. I could add Alexa later if I wanted.

Wonder if it would sound better?

The ARC feature of the Link is outstanding room correction. In a nearfield setup I get wrapped in a bubble of sound, especially the bass using the Paradigm PW Amp with ARC. I prefer the DAC in the Klipsch Powergate but if you are using the Wadia DAC it might not matter. The DTS Play-Fi app works very well.

RolandButcher

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2020, 01:53 am »
I finally set up ARC on my Paradigm PW Link and the improvement was not subtle.  It sometimes gets hung up when I stream hi-res from Amazon music but Spotify connect always works. Thanks for the recommendation.

tsusko

• I know it sounds funny but...
« Reply #17 on: 16 Sep 2020, 05:44 am »
Hi All,

Seems the market is ever changing with network players. I just checked and the Klipsch Gate is no longer $33 but $94.95.  The Paradigm Link is no longer listed on Amazon.  I recently found this one (KEiiD WiFi CSR 5.0) on Amazon and ordered to give it a try. Any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WWNQJQK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best,
Thom

tsusko

• I know it sounds funny but...
« Reply #18 on: 19 Sep 2020, 05:47 am »
Ok. I did a little more research and ordered the Klipsch Gate.  What I want to be able to do is play music from a DNLA server.  Evidently the device has to be Play-Fi enabled to do that.  Hope it works!

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #19 on: 19 Sep 2020, 05:58 am »
While I don’t know what a DNLA server is I do have a couple Gates and really like them.  I’ve been thinking about a change but when considering the cost difference (I paid $32 and change) for another player I decided to spend the money elsewhere.

The PlayFi app originally had issues and seems to work pretty seamlessly now.  I’ll look forward to your impressions.