Creative E-MU XM7 (look inside)

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
Creative E-MU XM7 (look inside)
« on: 14 Feb 2019, 01:30 pm »
Found on Amazon and Creative for $99

Some nice looking speakers with a decent/nice build quality -- the fit and finish is nice with what looks like 5/8 inch MDF -- they have corner bracing inside and a huge shielded magnet on the 5-1/4 inch woofer and a heat-sink on the 1 inch soft dome tweeter. There is a hollow like sound with the door-knock test, but it does not ring as some other speakers. The polly-batten is glued to the woofer magnet shield and the internal wiring is covered with foam to keep the wires silent. This is not a $100 looking speaker. It looks better than the Pioneer BS22 and the Sony Core bookshelf. The crossover has 2 core inductors, 2 poly caps, and 1 resistor. They even supplied some 16 awg wire, and not that cheap 22 awg that a lot of lower cost speakers tend to have. They came out around 2015, and marketing in the USA seems to be weak. They made them to work with their Sound Blaster X7 amp or your home receiver or amp.

The sound is fairly good and about the same league as the Pioneer and Sony and tends to favor the Q Acoustics 2020i speakers. They are somewhat bumpy in the frequency response, but the sound is clean and clear and not really coarse or grainy. They are somewhat on the bright side and will be an acquired taste for some, as they have a somewhat forward push, but not edgy and sharp like some budget horn speakers. But for those who like to EQ, you can adjust them some. They do lack some upper bass punch and tend to roll off around 90 hz. Voices can be slightly nasal and the sound slightly hollow at times. Good for budget friendly desk-top use, surround speakers, bedroom, kids room or a garage. They have some decent dynamics for Movies/TV/Gaming.

Cheap and on the cheerful side for $99.  The regular list is $269, but still selling for over $200 at some sights

motokok

Re: Creative E-MU XM7 (look inside)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2019, 09:23 am »
I saw these are on massive discount. Remember reading years ago on various (gaming) sites that they sounded bloody terrible, though! Maybe cause of the sb doohickey it was designed for. However, looks like one could maybe mod them if one was up to designing a better crossover? Or at least re-use the cabinets  :lol:

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
Re: Creative E-MU XM7 (look inside)
« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2019, 09:20 pm »
I saw these are on massive discount. Remember reading years ago on various (gaming) sites that they sounded bloody terrible, though! Maybe cause of the sb doohickey it was designed for. However, looks like one could maybe mod them if one was up to designing a better crossover? Or at least re-use the cabinets  :lol:
I use them with the Integra 50.2 receiver

They are not perfect, but they are not bad -- and much better than the likes of a Micca 42X -- the cabinets are good and some decent/nice drivers -- yes, a crossover mod will bring them up some.