Lyra Delos On WT Amadeus?

Hear Clifford Brown

Lyra Delos On WT Amadeus?
« on: 27 Nov 2012, 05:32 pm »
Anyone using a Delos on a Amadeus and how do you like it?  It's going to be either this or a Dynavector XX2 Mk2.  I know both are class leaders in this price range, I would probably be happy with either, and it comes down to personal taste and the rest of the system.  Just looking for additional input.  Heed Quasar is the phono pre.  The EMT TDS15 of course is another highly regarded option, but there is additional cost of the step-up which I've been told is what makes this cart really sing.  Specifically the A23 step-up.

JCOehler

Re: Lyra Delos On WT Amadeus?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2012, 08:59 pm »
I'm running the Delos with great success on my Amadeus.  My Delos is fully broken in so arm wand is exactly parallel (ran it slightly tail down during break in to cure slight upper edge).  I've got the VTF dialed in close to 1.75 although for some reason whenever I check the VTF with the digital scale from week to week, it slightly changes...weird.

I'm using a Manley Chinook phono which has 60dB gain and I have it loaded at 100ohms.

I've owned many Lyra carts and I cannot rave enough about the Delos.  Previously on the VPI Classic the Delos sounded great, on the Amadeus, it sounds even better...more open, detailed.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2012, 01:20 am »
Thanks for the input JC, very helpful and encouraging.  Similar to you, I had a Lyra Kleos on a VPI Classic 3, great sound but not quite what I thought it should be.  Alignment was very dialed in using a Mint Tractor.  Based on what you said regarding how your Delos sounds on the Amadeus, I've got something to look forward to!  Probably with either cartridge I'm considering.  It's going to feel strange not needing to obsess about cartridge alignment, but if the music sounds good, I'll forget all about it.

airhead

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2012, 01:26 am »
I would also recommend a van den Hul Frog, which works very well on a Well Tempered Record Player.

threadkiller

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2012, 01:27 am »
Love your name, HCB.  The new Mosaic vinyl box is on my Santa's wishlist.
Not to be even remotely negative, love the Dynavector and EMT. Each extremely musical, given the correct phono stage.
Never been a fan of Lyras, and yes, I've heard them.
They will work as well as the others with a WTL.  Personal taste then takes over.
Chas

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2012, 03:10 am »
Even if you are only into jazz a little (I'm into it a lot), you've got to love Brownie.  Such beautiful, long and well constructed lyrical solos, with amazing speed and precision.  And from what I've read, a beautiful man, always on time to gigs etc.

No worries about negativity, all comments appreciated in the spirit of learning or whatever.  I've been soliciting information from many sources, and Mike P. had similar comments about the Dyna and EMT re: how they do something special musically.  He said they do more than just pull detail and information off the record.  And I didn't mention it but VDH had been on my list based on input from a NW dealer who also sells Well Tempered, EMT, Dynavector, Auditorium, DeVore etc.  But then I dismissed, maybe prematurely, VDH when another dealer said that when he represented VDH he had problems with quality control and the need to send defective cartridges back.  I'll have a chance at Christmas to hear at the NW dealer the Dyna, EMT and VDH cartridges.  Now that I think about it, that's a fairly rare opportunity, so think I'll do that before making a decision.

gagamut

« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2012, 04:03 am »
Hi,
i'm running LYRA Skala on my WTA GTA,and phono is Whest PS30RDT se,mirco dynamic is very very good and very balance,but may be not everybody like,because the Skala can easy show which record good or bad,like studio gear, no coloration,so it's depend on what you want.. :D 

airhead

« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2012, 04:06 am »
People had been quite negative about the van den Hul distributer for a while; there is now a new one: Eugene Audio,
who seems very good.  He did have to send back the first Frog he ordered for me because it was made to wrong
compliance spec, but it only took a couple of extra weeks to get the right one.  Well worth it.  And in general,
Eugene Audio seems to be very happy with the service they are getting. 

I listened briefly to a Delos at the store where I bought the van den Hul.  They have a certain similarity: both cartridges
are very quiet and neutral.  However the van den Hul, in my opinion, has better imaging, presence, and excitement.
I didn't listen that long to the Delos because I don't really like the speakers they have at my dealer (Wilsons), just enough
to decide that I wasn't thrilled, so went ahead and ordered the van den Hul, without listening to it, based on reviews
(look at 6moons) and the fact that I have owned a van den Hul MC ONE for years.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2012, 05:07 am »
Eugene HiFi is the NW dealer I was talking about.  I am very impressed with their assistance and input  based on the numerous emails and two phone conversations I had.  They are not biased, said all three (DV, EMT and VDH) will sing with the WTA table, it comes down to preferences and system matching.  Their preference is for the VDH carts but they could happily live with any of these three.  They feel the DV has a punchy, bold sound with great dynamics. The EMT is more even handed and gets the tonal information correct, very rich, full bodied sound. VDH has more space around the instruments and a nice sparkle in the top end while maintaining a great bottom end that is tight and well defined. The VDH carts are very fast and nimble, easily resolving soundstage information and subtle cues within the music.

airhead

« Reply #9 on: 28 Nov 2012, 05:34 am »
I would agree about the van den Hul sounding very fast and nimble, with very very good sound staging and musical detail.  It is, I think, neutral rather than rich.  The top end is very clear and sparkly but sounds natural and "right", not overhyped.  Very good focus. I am satisfied with the bass, but bass is not my system's strong point:  imaging and speed, and tonal purity is.  (Stax speakers and Futterman amps, Klyne preamp).

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2012, 04:27 am »
I bought a Dynavector XX2 Mk2 for my WTA.  Really looking forward to both the table and the cartridge!

threadkiller

« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2012, 04:46 am »
You'll be very happy.  Enjoy!

DavidS

« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2012, 05:25 am »
Clifford Brown - look forward to hearing how your new Dyna works with your Amadeus.  Still happy playing with the Kleos on my WTA although new Nagra BPS on the way to play with it.
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2013, 06:02 am by DavidS »

threadkiller

« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2012, 01:20 pm »
I think the question should be, how will the Dyna work on the Heed, not the table.
That's a shoe-in, as would have been any of the cartridges on his list.  The matching for a cartridge is to the phono stage.  The WT's are most accommodating, as most great tables are.

Kt77

« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2012, 02:52 pm »

As a Quasar owned, I can say that it's one of the most flexible phono-stages I've yet come across. As a friend of mine whom own one uses his with an older WTRP with a Dynavector XXmk2, and I'd have to say it's quite pleasant as a matter of fact. When 3 of us traveled down to Don Better Audio a few years ago - we all came to realize the one phono-stage we all wish we could swing was the Acoustic Plan PhonoMaster at $3.500.

But there are times in ones life, where we must all realize we're sometimes close enough.

Dale @ Eugene Hi-Fi, is one of the most honest guys - that I've even encountered in my 32 years in this hobby, as was in fact the only one to bring the Heed Audio Quasar to my attention.

Great little box, I'd say.

Regards,
O_o scar

threadkiller

« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2012, 03:04 pm »
good to hear....my rather uncoherent point was that it's the cartridge/phono stage matching that is critical.
I would love to hear the Acoustic Plan, and obviously the Heed.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #16 on: 6 Dec 2012, 04:09 pm »
Hi David, glad to hear you are happy with the Lyra Kleos, and interested in your impressions of it with the Nagra BPS phono preamp.  Did a quick read of two reviews on that pre and it seems it's very accurate and transparent.  I think Lyra carts are a bit forward so it could be an interesting combination.

Kt77, thanks for the input on the Heed Quasar.  I'll be sure to keep an open mind when comparing it to another phono pre I'll have on hand.

Best regards,
Jeff     

Kt77

« Reply #17 on: 6 Dec 2012, 09:27 pm »
good to hear....my rather uncoherent point was that it's the cartridge/phono stage matching that is critical.
I would love to hear the Acoustic Plan, and obviously the Heed.

Hi threadkiller,

As I see it, that's where one has to look first - if any given cartridge does in fact match to said phono-stages that an owner is intending to use?. The great thing about WTA - is that a total of 21 cartridges were used during its development - so chances are!, it shall suit more then most.

Yet, all to often you'll see some cats trying to use some extra exotic cartridge into a budget phono-stage, and can't figure out why they don't like the pairing!, hence the term synergy - as well as the ability to drive it properly to begin with.

And, the PhonoMaster is the bum, just ask John DeVore - I know he's very high on the entire line.

Peace,
O_o scar

Kt77

« Reply #18 on: 6 Dec 2012, 09:34 pm »
Hi David, glad to hear you are happy with the Lyra Kleos, and interested in your impressions of it with the Nagra BPS phono preamp.  Did a quick read of two reviews on that pre and it seems it's very accurate and transparent.  I think Lyra carts are a bit forward so it could be an interesting combination.

Kt77, thanks for the input on the Heed Quasar.  I'll be sure to keep an open mind when comparing it to another phono pre I'll have on hand.

Best regards,
Jeff   

Hi Jeff,

You're more then welcome. The Quasar is in fact, more then capable of holding its own with other phono-stages upwards of $2.700 and not break a sweat. But it's one of those brands that continues to get overlooked due to its price - more so then performance.

As mentioned - I don't see anything that's within its price range, I would rather own more.

It's merely a lack of exposure/reviews that have made this wonderful little pair of boxes from Hungary unknown to most, hopefully others would at least be more open-minded to audition one for themselves before passing judgement?.

You might be more then a little bit surprised by the outcome.

Regards,
O_o scar

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #19 on: 9 Dec 2012, 11:45 pm »
KT77 wrote " total of 21 cartridges were used during its development "

and so please KT77 list out those 21 cartridges