Belt issues with my Amadeus

ohnofiasco

• Oh No Fiasco
Belt issues with my Amadeus
« on: 10 Sep 2012, 12:22 am »

So I am on my third belt after only two months of ownership and pretty confused. They have been just basically disintegrating on me and flying off to who knows where in room to never be found again. I have determined that this could have been cause by the mat I was using, Boston Audio Mat 1, just by adding its extra weight to the platter.

I have switched back to the stock foam mat and am hoping this doesn't continue. Has anyone had a simliar experience or maybe could shed light on what I am doing wrong? Thanks

SteevA

Re: Belt issues with my Amadeus
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2012, 03:17 am »
Dont know the boston mat but if it is heavy why not put on two belts at once?

Steve

vortrex

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2012, 03:55 am »
I'm using the same number of belts.  Got a new one from Well Tempered USA (only sent one!) and it lasted all of 5 albums

ohnofiasco

• Oh No Fiasco
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2012, 06:00 am »
Vortex are you using any kind of clamp/weight or do you have any kind of small wobble going on with the platter that could cause extra friction? It just seems strange to me that this belt that so many people don't have any issues with, or don't say they have, has been breaking so frequently.

I've actually spent a good part of my night breaking everything down and reassembling just to make sure there isn't some ghost in there, ha. Oh and to solve this hum in my left channel.....and clean up the highs....and make the sound stage bigger. Neurosis is a wonderful thing.

vortrex

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2012, 06:29 am »
there's nothing to cause extra friction and no wobble.  I love this table but the whole belt thing is ridiculous.  has anyone tried stepping up the thickness of the belt?  I've had one running for a while now, but it's a little loose.  the platter spools up pretty slowly.  maybe that's the key to making them last longer?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2012, 12:59 pm »
I don't have an answer for the belt issue. But I assume you did extensive listening comparisons to the table with the Mat-1 vs. the stock mat? I found that the BA mat was not as lively and resolving as the stock one.

Shakey

ohnofiasco

• Oh No Fiasco
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2012, 06:22 pm »
The BA mat brought out a little more depth for me in my system but definitely pulled the dynamics back. Its always really interesting to see how mats/clamps interact with different setups, the last table I used it with it made all the difference in world. The highs cleaned up and bass was tighter and overall the whole mix felt like it just moved closer to me.

The old table Im talking about is the ever frustrating Wilson Benesch Full Circle with a ACT TWO arm. I never felt like I could get that arm dialed in given a lot of that had to do with the fact I just couldn't physically get the VTA low enough for any of my carts.

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2012, 06:49 pm »
The BA mat brought out a little more depth for me in my system but definitely pulled the dynamics back. Its always really interesting to see how mats/clamps interact with different setups, the last table I used it with it made all the difference in world. The highs cleaned up and bass was tighter and overall the whole mix felt like it just moved closer to me.

The old table Im talking about is the ever frustrating Wilson Benesch Full Circle with a ACT TWO arm. I never felt like I could get that arm dialed in given a lot of that had to do with the fact I just couldn't physically get the VTA low enough for any of my carts.

Of the 3 mats I've tried, ( the Boston Audio, Auditorium 23 and the stock mat) the Auditorium 23 is the winner. The stock mat would be my second choice
with the Boston coming in third. In my system, the Boston always brings a out bit of harshness that tends to fatigue over time.  On a positive note, it makes
an excellent dust cover for the platter when the table is not in use.
I've only had 1 belt break in several months and that was of my own doing. Mike Pranka will send you more belts if you send him a SASE.  Haven't tried
making my own belts yet, but I have all the materials on hand. A thicker poly thread would sure be more durable and easier to work with, so I'm interested
to see how this works out long term for Vortrex.
I don't use any clamps or weights with the Amadeus as they're definitely not recommended by the designer.

ohnofiasco

• Oh No Fiasco
« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2012, 09:27 pm »
Ha! That is a great use for the Mat 1. I defiantly feel you on the harsh highs, I actually noticed that whenever I was using that mat I would always end up with my VTA a degree or so lower than I would normally want using anything else.

Im definitely going to to be ordering the Auditorium soon, considering my ICs and speaker cable are already Auditorium I can't say enough good things about their company. Really want to check out their set up transformers.

mick wolfe

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2012, 11:08 pm »
If you're in the Auditorium camp already, you know the designer has a good ear. Their $100 mat is really quite good. Not heard any feedback on their $250 mat, but the
$100 mat sounds great and better fits my budget. Now that I think of it, it's about the only Auditorium product that fits my budget.

ohnofiasco

• Oh No Fiasco
« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2012, 12:39 am »
I wasn't even aware that they had another mat available, do you know where I could find a link to it?

Not to product push here but everyone should give their a23 ICs an audition. 

vortrex

« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2012, 01:41 am »
Really want to check out their set up transformers.

I've got an A23 SUT arriving this week and some A23 interconnects to use with it.

ohnofiasco

• Oh No Fiasco
« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2012, 02:48 am »
I've got an A23 SUT arriving this week and some A23 interconnects to use with it.

Let me know about that SUT, I've been thinking about getting the EMT TSD-15 and I've heard those are great matches.

mick wolfe

« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2012, 05:05 am »
I wasn't even aware that they had another mat available, do you know where I could find a link to it?

Not to product push here but everyone should give their a23 ICs an audition.

Pitch Perfect Audio in SanFran has the Auditorium 23 product line including the $250 mat( pitchperfectaudio.com). I believe it's called the Homage( spelling?)

doak

« Reply #14 on: 14 Sep 2012, 01:02 am »
Pitch Perfect Audio in SanFran has the Auditorium 23 product line including the $250 mat( pitchperfectaudio.com). I believe it's called the Homage( spelling?)

http://pitchperfectaudio.wordpress.com/2012/05/27/does-it-matter/