Celine Dion Omitted from Rolling Stones Top 200 Singers

Mag

I'm not a fan of Celine Dion but I do listen to her song 'I Drove All Night'. The version that I have is not easy to find, it is sort of Techno and is fairly lengthy. I tried looking for this version that I have and could not find a match.

Anyway in this song not only does she have an amazing voice she is able to convey female emotions as she sings. Shania Twain can do this as well and perhaps several other singers. IMO this is an indicator of a well trained singer.

Rolling Stones omission only reflects on their credibility to recognize talent and thus their opinion should not be taken seriously. :smoke:

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
Re: Celine Dion Omitted from Rolling Stones Top 200 Singers
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2023, 01:14 pm »
I don’t think Screaming Lord Sutch is on there also.

twitch54

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2023, 02:22 pm »
while I couldn't give a rats rear end what Rolling Stones thinks, what was their criteria with regards to the selection process ?

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2023, 02:52 pm »
Based on the criteria given, she probably should have made a list like this. She was a pop star sensation and has a great voice.  I'm not a fan of her music, but I at least recognize who she is. That's more than I can say for many on the list whose names I don't even know. To be on any 'Greatest of All Time' list, I think you need to show staying power. Nobody on this list should be recently famous.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-singers-all-time-1234642307/rosalia-4-1234642320/

MttBsh

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2023, 03:45 pm »
I remember Rolling Stone 50+ years ago as having the guts to be somewhat original and go against the grain, thumbing their nose at mainstream media, I guess that was the popular thing to do back then. Today I find them still trying to capitalize on that image of a daring "underground" rag that challenges the powers that be, yet they've allowed themselves to become exactly what they originally set out to stand against, a totally commercialized, corporate wannabe. I'm surprised that anyone takes note of anything they have to say.

JCarney

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2023, 04:02 pm »
I agree with twitch54, who the hell cares what RS has to say anyway, on anything? It's time has come and gone.

JCarney

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2023, 04:03 pm »
 :D Corp media blows goats. Real news is fading fast. Nuff said.  :D

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2023, 05:15 pm »
   Having looked through the List my reaction was mostly either 'Who!?' or 'Are You Kidding Me!?'.

Note: Shania Twain didn't make the list either. A better indicator of success would be money they have in their bank account. :smoke:

Early B.

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2023, 11:31 pm »
This is an important note at the beginning of the article:

Before you start scrolling (and commenting), keep in mind that this is the Greatest Singers list, not the Greatest Voices List.

rodge827

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2023, 11:50 pm »
This list is embarrassing at best! Barbara 147 Neil (can’t sing)Young 133 GTFOuttaHere!  Ella 45 Ariana Grande 43 NF’nWay!!  Ariana isn’t worthy of licking the bird shit from Ella’s headstone!! At least Billie Holiday got respect at 4!!

Rolling Stone will be replacing the NYT on the nail in the outhouse!!!

rodge827

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2023, 11:52 pm »
This is an important note at the beginning of the article:

Before you start scrolling (and commenting), keep in mind that this is the Greatest Singers list, not the Greatest Voices List.

Ok I’ll bite what’s the difference?

GeneS

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jan 2023, 01:13 am »
Boy, I debated on commenting but here goes:
I’m not sure when Rolling Stone became entirely irrelevant to me. Was it their unbridled and obvious disdain for Rush? Even when it became ok to like them and acknowledge their contributions, they continued to fully discount them. Or, maybe it was their “enhancement” of front page poster boy AlGore. In any event, Rolling Stone as a publication of any significance has been over for me for a very long time.
And now this…this “list” of good singers…not vocalists, mind you. A third of the “list” I’ve never heard of. That’s on me. I’m the first to admit that I don’t work hard to stay current. But….no mention of Beth Hart? Bon Scott or Brian Johnson? Ann Wilson? Geddy Lee (remember..singers, not vocalists), Rachel Price? Sharon Jones? And perhaps the biggest travesty…no Susan Tedeschi. A singer, vocalist, whatever label you want to place that can take it to anybody. As her husband, Derek Trucks, once said “I’ve seen Sue on stage with a lot of other singers, and it’s usually not a fair fight”.
This is a nice, polite, woke, politically correct list made up by 20 and 30 somethings who have heard of Aretha but pine for Billie Eilish. Who crave songs to help them through their teen angst, but some Boomer suggested they throw some props to Ella to try to make this “list” even remotely credible.
Rolling Stone is, and has been, a joke for a very long time. Let the laughter continue.
Now, get off my lawn!

Early B.

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jan 2023, 01:23 am »
Ok I’ll bite what’s the difference?

A great singer doesn't refer to their vocal talent, per se, but to personality, stage presence, inventiveness, and popularity. On the other hand, a great voice speaks strictly to a high level of singing ability. For example, Beyonce and Taylor Swift are considered great singers, but not because they have great voices (they don't). Michael Jackson and Prince didn't have great voices, but they were great singers. A better term for "singer" is "entertainer" or "performer."   

rodge827

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jan 2023, 01:52 am »
Oops ok got it! Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Still very hard for me to enjoy a singer without a quantified voice.
Stupid audiophile expectations mixed with the disease of perfectionism!  :roll:

Ok back to the irrelevance of RS!!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 6 Jan 2023, 02:01 am »
It only has to be that, just that explains the presence of Bono, Axl Rose and others. This seems to be the worst ones list of whichs fit the ho ly wood a genda.

Hard to understand it:
Roy Orbison  71,  Willie Nelson 54 ,  Rod Stewart 49 ?
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2023, 03:01 am by FullRangeMan »

Early B.

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jan 2023, 02:35 am »
Still very hard for me to enjoy a singer without a quantified voice.
Stupid audiophile expectations mixed with the disease of perfectionism!  :roll:

LOL!! Let me guess -- you're well over 50? I believe it all started nearly 40 years ago in the late 80's with folks like Madonna -- you no longer needed any real singing ability, just a gimmick, quirk, or repugnant reputation and you could become a superstar.   

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #16 on: 6 Jan 2023, 07:02 am »
A better indicator of success would be money they have in their bank account. :smoke:

All that indicates is that a whole lot of people have no taste in music.

:|

firedog

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jan 2023, 08:35 am »
Any list they make is going to have omissions, by definition.

And the list was for greatest singers, not voices. They explicitly said that they judged singers also on uniqueness and influence as singers. That's why Dylan got such a high ranking, and why someone like Willie Nelson is there, as well as many others who don't have great voices.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #18 on: 6 Jan 2023, 12:06 pm »
Perhaps I missed it, but no Joni Mitchell?  It's such a travesty that I must assume I missed her listing, but if she's not in the top ten the list is completely invalid.  John Lennon at 12, I can't imagine him breaking into the top 100.  Judi Sill not included?  No Sara K?  I'm with a lot of posters here in concluding Rolling Stone has jumped the shark into irrelevancy.

Mag

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jan 2023, 01:18 pm »
Perhaps I missed it, but no Joni Mitchell?  It's such a travesty that I must assume I missed her listing, but if she's not in the top ten the list is completely invalid.  John Lennon at 12, I can't imagine him breaking into the top 100.  Judi Sill not included?  No Sara K?  I'm with a lot of posters here in concluding Rolling Stone has jumped the shark into irrelevancy.

Joni Mitchell was on the list. I don't recall seeing Neil Diamond.