Celine Dion Omitted from Rolling Stones Top 200 Singers

Mag

Re: Celine Dion Omitted from Rolling Stones Top 200 Singers
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jan 2023, 01:23 pm »
All that indicates is that a whole lot of people have no taste in music.

:|

I seen a Best of List based on album sales. Yeah it's a better list but its as you say, who would buy that crap. So you're not going to satisfy us critics with any compilation of who's the greatest or best.

Mag

« Reply #21 on: 6 Jan 2023, 01:32 pm »
Any list they make is going to have omissions, by definition.

And the list was for greatest singers, not voices. They explicitly said that they judged singers also on uniqueness and influence as singers. That's why Dylan got such a high ranking, and why someone like Willie Nelson is there, as well as many others who don't have great voices.

Having read some of the accolades their Voice was definitely mentioned. And IMO what distinguishes a great singer is their Voice, ability to sing. Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson IMO are not great voices yet they most likely have a huge fan base. They however are not on any of my Playlists. :smoke:

Wayner

« Reply #22 on: 6 Jan 2023, 03:02 pm »
Great voices have many textures and styles. They use their voices to convey emotions, information, character. The true gift is not holding the perfect note or singing the deepest octave, it is stirring emotions. There are many well trained voices that do not hold an audience, as they can't really deliver the message.

Saturn94

« Reply #23 on: 6 Jan 2023, 05:37 pm »
…The true gift is not holding the perfect note or singing the deepest octave, it is stirring emotions. There are many well trained voices that do not hold an audience, as they can't really deliver the message.

IMHO, the best can do both.

I agree there are many singers while technically great, fall flat on the emotional side.

🙂

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #24 on: 6 Jan 2023, 06:24 pm »
while I couldn't give a rats rear end what Rolling Stones thinks,

I agree with twitch54, who the hell cares what RS has to say anyway, on anything? It's time has come and gone.

JCarney

I tend not to care what those entities have to say about any type of entertainment.

:D Corp media blows goats. Real news is fading fast. Nuff said.  :D

Agree.

whell

« Reply #25 on: 6 Jan 2023, 07:04 pm »
These types of lists are published for a set of reasons that are not always related to the subject of the list.   In Rolling Stone's case, the list was posted to:

- drive magazine sales, and also drive more clicks on their website. In other words, "clickbait".
- create "buzz".  The intent is to create buzz for Rolling Stone Magazine, not the singers on the list.
- get folks talking about the list and casual conversations and internet forums, which drive more folks to Rolling Stone's website.

From that perspective, the list fails the relevancy test. 

Now, back to the music....

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #26 on: 6 Jan 2023, 07:26 pm »
For the people that don't like the list, who are your top 200 singers?  Or maybe that's too much.  How about top 20?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #27 on: 6 Jan 2023, 08:12 pm »
Not Aretha much less funny voices as Willie Nelson or Rod Stewart.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #28 on: 6 Jan 2023, 08:28 pm »
In all seriousness, Tom Jones is a heck of a singer.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #29 on: 6 Jan 2023, 08:52 pm »
I dont see Tom in that list, great voice and stage presence along Orbison.

GeneS

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jan 2023, 09:25 pm »
So, using some of the standards, clarifications and definitions supplied earlier, where’s Wayne Newton?
In explaining what we were about to read, even Rolling Stone wasn’t concise in their criteria for who and how who made the “list”. Speaking of who, was Daltrey on there?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 6 Jan 2023, 10:20 pm »
Elton John trashed Daltrey on Pinball Wizard.