Quad 2905

katamapah

Re: Quad 2905
« Reply #120 on: 13 Aug 2011, 02:30 pm »
However, I just can't stress enough that if you are interested in full range electrostatics you do need to hear them!

I am familiar with the sound of ESL63 and i like it a lot. I like the musicality of the speaker and ESL63 is the reason why i think to upgrade to the newer ESLs in the first place.
BUT... being at completely different price range i would expect from 2905 to be better at other types of music such as classic/progressive rock(specially rock with a distortion), certain electronic music (psychedelic jazz, free jazz, fusion). With ESL63 those music styles were very hard to listen to. I guess it is due to limited dynamic range and lack of slam and bass.
I am not expecting 2905 to match top dynamic speakers in that area, but i do expect to be able to listen to those styles of music without a feel of discomfort. I would expect ESL2905 to be at least average on those styles. I don't know if 2905 lives up to those expectations. ESL63 certainly not. I do like a lot my ESL63 for what it does, but it is in a completely different price range.

planaria

« Reply #121 on: 13 Aug 2011, 05:47 pm »
Hello Kata.

You mention Magnepan and ML, which I also own. I prefer the Quads because they use only one type of driver, so the sound is coherent. If I remember correctly, the ancient Magnepan Tympani speakers were also renowned for their musicality, and they also used only one type of driver.

The ML hybrids have cones as well as electrostatic panels, and the cones seem painfully slow compared to the panels IMHO. With the Magnepans, the panels seem slow compared to the ribbons, also IMHO. I understand that they use electrolytic caps for crossover, which only makes the contrast more edgy and unpleasant. Since the treble sounds different from the base in both cases, the speakers sound artificial (to my ears). The best thing is to try them in your home over a weekend, and see for yourself.

katamapah

« Reply #122 on: 21 Aug 2011, 03:24 pm »
So here is the bottom line - I am still in search for a speaker after this weekend.
I auditioned some ML, Magnepan 1.7/3.6 and SF Grand Piano

SF Grand Piano - I couldn't really "evaluate" this speaker despite of all good reviews and opinions it got.
The room was very small (about 7-8 sq m) the speakers were about 50cm, they were driving by some digital Akai amplifier, so it was not a set and a room to enjoy them. Tonally and temporally they were OK, but the bass wasn't punchy and they were not revealing. I suppose the setup has a major role in all this, but since i didn't hear this speaker before i couldn't really form any impression.
It also failed the most important "emotional test", that is much more important for me than an "audiophile" test.
May be i did a mistake and should rely solely on all those reviews. After all, it shouldn't be very hard to sell a SF speaker.

Magnepan 1.7/3.6 - I couldn't hear the 3.7, but i heard the 1.7 and 3.6;
The 1.7 is tonally better than 1.6, i think it is more balanced.
Of course 3.6 is much a better speaker. It is more refined etc, but it still fails with the rock and everything alike.
So, it is still very similar to Quad in its problematic areas while i strongly prefer Quad in what both of them do well. Quad is amaizingly musical speaker with tons of emotions. Never knew how good is it in what it does...
The only better points for Magnepan 3.6 are: reliability and a better slam/big orchestral music.

Martin Logan - I heard the more simple Vantage model.
Despite it is also an electrostatic (hybrid) speaker its sound is very different to Quads. Even the electrostatic panels sound differently. Much more colored and sound-oriented IMHO. For what Quad does, it does much better, BUT Martin Logan is definitely better as all around speaker.
Actually better then Magnepan 1.6/1.7/3.6 as well (if you like its tonal coloration). The dynamic woofer gives a lot of slam. It is not just a bass, it is the whole slam that is missing in those planar speakers. Suddenly the rock is solid, electronic music sounds better etc.
Still... i feel this model is to "colored" for me and not as musical and emotional as Quad. As i said, never realized how REALLY GOOD QUAD IS in what it does... Unfortunately it still limited to some specific sort of music.
Then, i heard a Martin Logan Ethos. It was a big improvement over Vantage. Less colored, better punch, stage, everything... Probably a candidate...
Still want to listen to Summit X... Probably ML highest series are less colored for a sound and more true like.
Everything IMHO of course...

katamapah

« Reply #123 on: 11 Sep 2011, 07:40 pm »
This weekend i was finally able to listen to Quad 989
The setup included Quad2-40 mono blocks and Quad99CDP - basic cd+preamp from Quad. The speakers were just few days old, so those are definitely "first" impressions.

First of all - the look. I did like the look of those.
Read a lot of negative feedbacks, in my opinion they are surely not the prettiest speakers around, but i had no problem with their looks. The white-blue finish is pretty nice overall. They are pretty solid-standing too, although i felt this aspect still could be improved. (ESL2905 :-)

As for the sound...
Here i have some mixed feelings compared to ESL63.
First, i have to say again:
a) These speakers were just few days old
b) There was no critical placement done for the speakers and during the listening session i felt it is a must with those. They were "generally placed as suggested", but without critical fine tuning.
c) I don't like the Quad 99CDP. I have had several opportunities to listen to this preamp-cd and i think it is not very musical, somewhat harsh, not too revealing - in one word very basic and not a match for 989 (even the 63).

Having said that i was depressed not to hear the magic of ESL63 mid-range - their unmatched musicality, acoustic sound being slowly decayed etc. It exhibit little magic i remember from ESL63. On the positive side, i somehow felt it might be improved, since my feeling was those speakers ARE MUCH MORE SENSITIVE to a-b-c above (break in, placement, source/pre amp and the recordings).

Other impressions: bass was much better, still not very deep or dynamic-like bass (no "wooo", no air movement), but significantly improves the contra-bass and organ pieces.
Much more presence and substance then ESL63 - they were almost "flat" and had zero bass.

Also the slam and general presence/substance - MUCH better then ESL63.

Certainly less compressed than ESL63.
More sonically neutral than already neutral ESL63
More precise (better resolution), less directional in treble.

It seems like 989 bass has some hole. The transition from mid-bass to a deeper bass in not always flat.

Generally, my impression was: Those speakers while being more neutral, more precise (still not greatest precision around), having better frequency response and dispersion, being better dynamically had become closer to "traditional" speakers sound wise and have lost much of old ESLs magic.
Again, my feeling is that at least some of this magic may be gained back, by breaking-in, positioning and matching the equipment. Those are much more revealing and sensitive speakers than ESL63. Less forgiving. Up to a complete dissatisfaction !

Music types.
Bottom line, they were better with rock than 63.
Rock became listenable on some minimalistic level, but
still far from being good enough or even satisfying.
By rock i mean Led Zeppelin, Queen, King Crimson.
Not the heavy rock.

On other types of music - classic (easy classic, organ music, Beethoven's 9 symphony) - much better result than 63. Image, presence, absolutely listenable and enjoyable.
Acoustic rock - Also, better presence, more substance.
Jazz/Vocals - good.

So, this speakers are still not good for rock. Not even try.
Additional bass panels do improve presence, substance and make low octaves listenable.
Could the magic of ESL63 be regained ?
That's the question....
If yes, clearly an improvement over ESL63.
Otherwise... you have a more traditional like, magic-less sound from the electrostatic speaker...

What is other people's impression of 989 ?
How it compares to 2905 ?

P.S. Comparing 989 to Martin Logan hybrids it seems like a still better dynamics/bass could be obtained by matching smaller 988/63 with a dynamic woofer rather then having 989. Not sure how they will work together. Never tried it.
On different forums once could find many positive or negative opinions for this option.

Apogees and Sound Labs are not really popular in my place.
Need to make some effort to find them second hand or at least have a chance to listen first...

TheMooN

« Reply #124 on: 11 Aug 2012, 12:40 pm »

« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2013, 08:33 pm by TheMooN »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #125 on: 11 Aug 2012, 06:33 pm »
Enjoy the Quads - they are a great speaker.  :thumb: Owned them for 3 years.

James

bjorn55

« Reply #126 on: 13 Aug 2012, 03:58 pm »
Do we need the RC-link (C25 220uF + R15 1,5ohm) at all?
Comments from Keith Snooks site:

http://www.keith-snook.info/Loud-Speakers/QUAD-ESL63/QUAD-ESL63.html

The principal for the RC-link is same for ESL-63/ 988-989 and 2805-2905.
If we remove the link, like Keiths proposal, is there any risk for the
Brystons output stage?
Are the Bryston protection circuits safe enough?

//Bjorn

ESL2805 + 4B-SST2

bjorn55

« Reply #127 on: 16 Aug 2012, 10:33 am »
James,

Any comments?

//Bjorn

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #128 on: 16 Aug 2012, 11:40 am »
James,

Any comments?

//Bjorn

Hi Bjorn

Please email Mike Pickett at Bryston with this question.

Mpickett@bryston.com

James

planaria

« Reply #129 on: 17 Aug 2012, 02:03 am »
Hello Moon.

I solved that by putting the caps in their own box, between the amplifier and the Quad. My experience was that sound improved substantially with more film and foil, especially more styrene and tin, so it needed some volume.

Good luck!

TheMooN

« Reply #130 on: 18 Aug 2012, 03:44 pm »
Thank you folks.
« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2013, 08:35 pm by TheMooN »

bjorn55

« Reply #131 on: 22 Aug 2012, 10:19 am »
Hi Bjorn

Please email Mike Pickett at Bryston with this question.

Mpickett@bryston.com

James

Looks like best is to keep the R/C-link.. 8)

Answer from Mike:

Hi Bjorn;

I'm afraid I don't have enough experience with the Quads to give you an educated answer. In general, it looks like you should be able to remove those components, but if the speaker's protection circuitry presents a dead short when activated, it could very well damage the amp. It appears that the spark detector circuit turns on a triac across the speaker inputs; if it saturates the triac completely, it's basically the same as putting a screwdriver across the output of the amp...

Thanks,

Mike

//Bjorn

liffy99

« Reply #132 on: 14 May 2018, 08:49 pm »
Dont suppose anyone knows how to check / replace the neon bulb in the Quad logo on a pair of 2905s ?
Speaker works perfectly but cannot turn on or change the brightness of the logo.
Can the badge be removed from the front ? Is it safe to do so ? Or does the speaker have to be partially dismantled ?
Thanks