SET or Push-Pull with Omega speakers?

cooch

SET or Push-Pull with Omega speakers?
« on: 3 Oct 2006, 06:04 pm »
which is better?

onemug

Re: SET or Push-Pull with Omega speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2006, 02:09 am »
There isn't a better, it's personal taste. My guess would be the majority have SET's. I would urge you to try the SET though. It doesn't get much simpler. Good luck.

ZLS

« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2006, 03:08 am »
It is not the configuration; it is the implementation

jrhanl

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2006, 03:17 am »
cooch,

I have owned a very reasonably priced SET amp (DARED 2A3C off ebay) for about 3 weeks now, which is matched with a pair of XRS'.  Initially, I considered building a Dynaco-35 kit to match with the XRS'...and I considered some inexpensive el34 push-pulls.   Sounds like you are in the same boat I was in (PP or SET).  

Anyway, my very reasonable SET/XRS combo is enthralling.  I was never expecting the combo to sound this good.  All the SET-hype that I had read about is absolutely true.  The XRS' produce a midrange like I have never heard.  And the bass far exceeds my expectations...I never thought that such little drivers matched with an 8W SET could produce bass that I could feel.  It does.  

I can't speak to the PP amps, because I haven't heard one with my speakers.  But I am not left wondering.  I am delighted with the SET/single driver combo.  Not worried about the grass being greener elsewhere.  I'll probably be firmly planted in the SET ranks for the rest of my life.

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2006, 12:52 am »
Hi jrhanl,

Great post and I have both so I can switch around a lot. It’s great times to be in Audio because there are so many amazing sounding electronics that are not pricey. I do have the Dyna ST35 and really like it. It’s definitely worth it if you want to experiment. Your 2A3 is will be better in the mids.

Thanks again,
Louis