The search for a stand-in amp continues........

Canyoneagle

The search for a stand-in amp continues........
« on: 1 Oct 2006, 04:10 am »
Can anyone comment on the suitability of Dared amps (specifically, the VP-16) with Omegas?
There's one for sale on Audiogon, and if the bids stay low enough, I may pick it up (but only if it would have synergy with the XRS, A8, and OB).

Can anyone comment?
Thanks
Michael

jrhanl

Re: The search for a stand-in amp continues........
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2006, 04:29 am »
Canyoneagle,

I have the DARED 2A3C paired with the XRS'.  I am using a simple, old school AMC 8b cd player.  The result is stunning.  I swapped out the 6N3 chinese tubes and replaced with some mid-1980s russian tubes 6N3P-E...the already stunning sound became more dynamic and cleaner (less hum/noise)...

Haven't heard any other DARED amps. 

Build quality is very good. 

My sense is that the Shuguang 2A3c tubes are tremendous overperformers.  I ordered 2 extra pairs. 

My humble recommendation is to get the 2A3C vice the vp-16.  Match with XRS.  I can't imagine things getting better than what I'm listening to. 

Canyoneagle

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2006, 05:02 am »
Thanks for the advice!
The 2A3C looks gorgeous.
At the moment, I'm looking for something (probably used) for less than $400 so I can make my initial commitment on the XRS and let my 11 year old son inherit the mini-component system.  My primary goal is to provide the XRS with a worthy amp until I can get one of Vinnie's RWA offerings - batteries are key for me due to a move "off grid" in the coming years. :D

The VP-16 is currently bid at $205, so if I can pick it up for less than $350 it is a steal (IMO).

I've never had tubes before, so this is new ground for me, but I acknowledge the magic that seems to exist between tube amps and speakers such as Omega and Zu.
I don't know the difference between triode, pentode and so on (other than tri means 3 and penta means 5).  I was indoctrinated into the "audiophile" mantra of an amp=wire with gain, and my break from this world was via Brit Solid State "musical" systems (Naim, Castle, Rega, etc).  So, forgive my ignorance, but much of the "tube rolling" discussions are lost on me at the moment.
 :scratch:

So, my focus is the music itself (what a shock!)  :duh: with the rather mundane task of building my system methodically (and soon).

So, unless a 2A3C pops on the radar for less than $400, I will keep up the quest......

My focus right now is to get the XRS (and their natural sound) in my living room, and I seriously doubt the Yamaha AX-10 is the right match.
Thanks again!
Michael

Canyoneagle

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2006, 05:11 am »
Canyoneagle,

I have the DARED 2A3C paired with the XRS'.  I am using a simple, old school AMC 8b cd player.  The result is stunning.  I swapped out the 6N3 chinese tubes and replaced with some mid-1980s russian tubes 6N3P-E...the already stunning sound became more dynamic and cleaner (less hum/noise)...

Haven't heard any other DARED amps. 

Build quality is very good. 

My sense is that the Shuguang 2A3c tubes are tremendous overperformers.  I ordered 2 extra pairs. 

My humble recommendation is to get the 2A3C vice the vp-16.  Match with XRS.  I can't imagine things getting better than what I'm listening to. 

BTW
I've read your post with great interest, and it (in part) is what has helped me move into the tube realm (even if temporarily, while AC power is still an easy option).

Here's to the adventure!  ::beer: :beer: :beer::
Michael

jrhanl

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2006, 05:36 am »
I regret that my previous post suggested that I am in any way competent regarding tubes or electrical engineering...I assure you; I am a moron when it comes to such things.

I simply bought the DARED after reading hundreds of forum-posts, fell in love, bought some new tubes for the heck of it...plugged them in and played.    Way less intimidating than I anticipated.  Way less.    

My DARED with the XRS' is incredible.  Based solely on my experience, I'd put money on your happiness matching the vp-16 with the XRS'.

Others have enjoyed the Sophia Baby with Omegas, I believe.  

I also paired the XRS' with a Sonic Impact Super-T amp ($140)....the T-amp sounded far, far better than my Outlaw receiver...but, frankly, far, far short of the DARED.

Good luck...    

Canyoneagle

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2006, 05:44 am »
Thanks again!
What a fun adventure this is........
M

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2006, 01:02 am »
Hi Canyoneagle,

Thanks and my Spanish distributor swears by them and tells me they are amazing with the speakers and he has most of the models. The price is very good too. I have always had a 2A3 throughout the years and was happy with all of them.

Thanks again,
Louis