Omega Speakers compared to Lowthers...

budbrew

Omega Speakers compared to Lowthers...
« on: 7 Sep 2006, 08:26 pm »
I'm thinking about getting some Omega speakers to complement my RWA Signature 30 amp. I'm getting them for their single driver design and I'm very intrigued by the hemp drivers. However, I know that Lowther drivers have a strong reputation as well and I'm learning more about those too. Can anyone tell me if there are distinct differences between the characteristics of Omega speakers and speakers with Lowther drivers? I'm looking for a speaker that can sing with acoustic guitar, both nylon and steel string.

I'm looking into the Super 3 XRS speakers for their relatively low profile (WAF), but I have not ruled out the larger Omega speakers with hemp drivers. I listen mostly to acoustic material (a lot of solo acoustic guitar, some piano, violin, cello), but also a lot of space music (Steve Roach, Robert Rich, etc) and other ambient music genres. Placement is against or near the wall. Volume is generally fairly low, sometimes quite low early in the AM and late in the PM. Bonus points for good off-axis quality.

Cheers and thanks.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Omega Speakers compared to Lowthers...
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2006, 11:06 am »
Lowthers are extremely detailed compared to Fostex or nearly any other driver.  Like modern recording techniques, they're hyper-real and the combination to me is a major distraction from musical enjoyment.  It forces my brain into analytical mode.  It's death by detail (chocolate). 

To me both Lowther and typical Fostex drivers can sound thin (lack of midbass) and forward (midrange emphasis), although Louis works wonders with the Fostex drivers.

ZLS

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2006, 01:36 pm »
If placement is on or near the wall you must take into account how the speaker is loaded.  A speaker with a rear port will not sound ideal close to the wall.  Louis makes a speaker with aperiodic loading currently using the Visaton B200 (8" Driver).  This speaker can be placed close to the wall with no ill effects. 
    There is also the question of cost using the Lowther drivers.  It is considerable.  However, devotees of Lowther are the cult within a cult of Audiomania. 
    I would talk to Louis of Omega, you will find him most helpful.

budbrew

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2006, 04:10 pm »
JLM, that helps. I'm not a detail for detail's sake kind of music lover.

ZLS, that line in your signature, is that from a Terry Pratchett book? I'm reading Thud!, my first TP book.

Dave G

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2006, 05:19 pm »
This may be a bit off topic, since I think budbrew isn't looking for 43" high floorstanding speakers, but I wonder whether the Bob Brines LT-2000 with one of the Lowther drivers might avoid the detail uber alles sound that Lowthers can have.  Bob describes the LT-2000 this way:  "This speaker explodes all of the myths that Lowther drivers are shouty with no bass. On the contrary, the LT-2000 provides all of the fine detail you would expect from a Lowther and at the same time, the LT-2000 is smooth and easy to listen to, with bass solidly down to 30 Hz."  FWIW, I have a pair of the Bob Brines FT-1600s with Fostex FE167E drivers and to me their sound is not thin at all.  Check out the LT-2000 here

Dave 

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2006, 03:56 pm »
Go for the Omega Superhemps. Stunning speaker with acoustic guitars and wood instruments. These are the real deal. After many years and many speakers( Altec 604B, Altec 604C, Model 19's, Tannoy 12 inch golds, Silver 15's,Churchills,Polk 1.2TL's, and so many more to numerous to mention) the Superhemps have won me over. Just love this crossoverless design.
  They sit upon the Skylan custom 18 inch stands and highly recommended. Each stand takes about 35 lbs of sand.
 The hemp driver is phenomenal and the cabinet work is exceptional.Louis should be very proud of this wonderful speaker.

Sarchi

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2006, 12:39 am »
I've had both.  Lowthers work well in horn-loaded enclosures, which means you need space and patience (and luck) to get a room synergy.  The other benefit of Lowther drivers is the very high sensitivity.  Louis 3's seem more flexible, forgiving, and if not as detailed..just as musical in their own way.  My tastes have shifted too and it's been part of a transitionary period, so I'm not sure I can make a lot of meaningful direct comparisons between them.

You're on the right track looking at Lowthers and Fostex for that kind of music, try to hear them with the best low-power tube amplification possible.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2006, 03:07 am »
Go for the Omega Superhemps. Stunning speaker with acoustic guitars and wood instruments. These are the real deal. After many years and many speakers( Altec 604B, Altec 604C, Model 19's, Tannoy 12 inch golds, Silver 15's,Churchills,Polk 1.2TL's, and so many more to numerous to mention) the Superhemps have won me over. Just love this crossoverless design.

This endorsement means a lot to me. To have been won over by the hemps after going through this particular assortment of speakers is really saying something. There are some serious classics in that list.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2006, 12:44 pm »
Not to mislead anyone, I am running a couple of subs with these Superhemps, although they go fairly low and I had a friend over from the Chicago Audio Society and we both agreed we could easily live with them as stand alone speakers, my tastes, my room ,my system, and living with some of the great bottom end speakers of the day, for example I remember reading the Stereo Review of the Polk 1.2TL where Julian Hirsch had to use a different way then normal to measure just how low the 1.2TL's went. 16HZ claimed if I'm not mistaken. I probably have the old review somewhere in the archives of my old clippings.
 One of my very good customers now friend recommended adding a sub, the Carver Jr as it is very fast and can keep pace with the speed of the Superhemps.This is a first for me using subwoofers as the need just was never there. In a nutshell, my system has never sounded so good so I'm not looking back.
 For the purist,I apologize,but a sub is no longer just for Home Theatre

kbuzz3

« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2006, 04:14 pm »
Bill's--who i dont know--endorsement is a nice one....as the tannoy and and altec's have quite a following....

plus he listening to rare on air vol. 1...that speaks volumes as to the quality of his reccomendations.

PS ive post about good results using the tbi sub with the omegas as well...very very quick and musical

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2006, 05:04 pm »
I will echo Bill's sentiments. Although I have found the hemps bass to be very good with both the EL84 and 6v6 tubes in PP, I have been using my REL Strata III to great effect with the Super's. I have not yet heard Vinnie's new amp, but I suspect bass response would be terrific with it too.

If guitar is your thing, then I cannot recommend them highly enough. Just make sure you wait until they are properly broken in(200 hours) before passing ultimate judgement. And believe or not, they made their greatest improvment after several hundred hours!  :o

Good luck!

Louis O

« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2006, 11:41 pm »
Hi everyone and some really cool posts about the lowthers and Omega. They are very different and I wish I could be more helpful regarding the Lowthers. I really haven't used them as they are intended for back horns. I have heard them in Horning Hybrids as a midrange driver and this was very nice. Some concerns are about the midrange shout and some manufacturers have tried all kinds of techniques to reduce it. In the Hornings the wizzer was removed.

The hemp's especially are a very smooth driver and made specifically for my cabinets. The tone is very smooth, but also has the best transparency I've heard in a single driver. Going on over 2 years with them and really proud to be a part of it and Tone Tubby.

Hi budbrew,

Please feel free to call me anytime and we can go over everything. It would be my pleasure 203.847.2800

Hi Bill,

Wow, what can I say but, thank you. I do know all the great speakers you have had in your system and it means a lot knowing you’re very happy with the Superhemps. The M520 is rocking and totally burned in right now. The JJ blue tubes kick ass. Amazing sound. Still need to get the NOS rectifiers.

Thanks again,
Louis

pardales

« Reply #12 on: 19 Sep 2006, 02:08 am »
I have no doubt that Louis's speakers are great. I have yet to try a pair and hope to some day. I do own a single-driver speaker from commonsenseaudio.com that features the Lowther DX3 driver. If you go to this sites' Lowther page it is the Lowther 2.8 Ambience (there is a picture of it there).

All I can say is, I really love this speaker and driver. Clear, open, smooth, detailed, and all around, very pleasing. I do not find the sound harsh in any way. Hope this helps, and I do not mean to take anything away from Omega, just answering the threads initial query.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2006, 10:13 am »
pardales,

If you like the DX-3s in those boxes, you should really try them in the Brines LT-2000.  With a little sweat (buying the LT-2000 in one of the kit forms) you could make money selling the extra drivers/boxes and gain deep, clear, dynamic, musical bass from the well braced and designed transmission line cabinets.  My experiences with "commonsense" and their flimsy boxes are not good ones.

Louis O

« Reply #14 on: 26 Sep 2006, 12:11 am »
Hi pardales,

No not at all and the Lowthers are amazing at what they do right as well as pretty much starting the whole thing years ago.

As far as cabinets and quality between the companies mentioned I have no experience with this and this is not a good place to be bashing companies. That can be done somewhere else.

Thanks again,
Louis