The Jury is in Time for the OMEGA OB!

Smitty

« on: 17 Jun 2006, 05:26 pm »
Sig 30 and OB seems to almost equal bottemless pockets at close too everyones affordability. Drag this one to a show and just watch.  Boring to build for the craftsmam that is Louis, but isn't it about the sound? It's time, Louis. If done right, both you and Vinnie may be teetering on the edge of fame. Dmason, also, and thanks for that.

JiffyBoob

« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2006, 07:47 pm »
As a matter of fact, I am listening to exactly that right now. I "liberated" the Signature 30 from Dr D last night, and listening early this am with the B200 so called "Lite Star" is really an ear opener. Smitty you don't know how right you are. Put this rig up at a show even on nasty looking plywood baffles to further the point, and people will wonder if indeed the emperor has any clothes.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: The Jury is in Time for the OMEGA OB!
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2006, 01:18 am »
Quote from: Smitty
Sig 30 and OB seems to almost equal bottemless pockets at close too everyones affordability. Drag this one to a show and just watch.  Boring to build for the craftsmam that is Louis, but isn't it about the sound? It's time, Louis. If done right, both you and Vinnie may be teetering on the edge of fame. Dmason, also, and thanks for that.

Hi Smitty,

I agree!  I am reporting my OB findings to Louis and he is going to make me a finished pair of OBs for my B200s sometime soon.  First I want to play with two B200s per baffle to see what happens  :D  I will take pics, post them on my site and here on AC and ask him to figure out how much he would offer them for.  I am still in the process of convincing him how awesome this would be for those who really want to try the OBs, but don't want to do the DIY wood work and who want sometiming very professionally done (everyone here knows Louis' craftsmanship is top rate).  

The idea that we've been talking about is that Louis would make them completely finished OBs (vaneered on both sides) but unassembled (so they can be easily laid flat and shipped in one box).  There will be a center baffle and adjustable wings (kind of like the one I posted on the Darkstar thread).  They would be all pre-drilled so the assembly would just require installing the hinges with the supplied screws and installing your drivers with the supplied screws...into the built-in nuts in the baffle.

I think it will be a cool idea if he made a couple of different versions of the center baffle (e.g. using one driver, using two drivers, or even different driver location).  This could be something that can be swapped later if one wants to try a different taste.  Just thinking out loud here and maybe I'm going overboard...

I will keep you all posted as I continue to nag Louis to make this happen.  I chatted with him tonight about it and he seemed into the idea, so all is good so far!

Dmason

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2006, 04:27 am »
I am ALL FOR an Omega Loudspeakers designed baffle system. Made to order, and house designs. I keep having visions of two B200's embedded in dark Ebony. This would be over the top elegance ...Or a highly sculptured assymetrical baffle with a bass driver built in. Something very simple and straightforward, with strong artistic elements, all in good wood.

I am finding the new AC "weird." The icons and fonts seem abit small. Then again I have been enjoying my hemp :smoke: tone   thing

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2006, 08:37 pm »
Louis,

Recommend you consider adding high density fiberglass with air gap to the front of the baffle, ala GIK or RealTraps.  This would require the driver to be offset ahead of the baffle so it can be flush.  The advantage is built in room treatments, but more importantly reduction in reflections of the sound from the other channel(s).  Total baffle thickness would be about 4 inches, but no wood/driver exposed on the front.   :icon_frown:

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2006, 12:32 am »
Hi Everyone,

The verdict is in and it is a major YES on the OB. Vinnies is first and he will post the pics on his site and here. I have all the parts for the first one.

Vinnie described it very well and it will be very easy to put together. I will have everything pre drilled and sorted out so shipping is easy. It would honestly take 20 minutes to assemble. Veneer options on the site and some options can be made. I also have great metal finishes from swirled Copper to Aluminum and everything in between.

This also leads to a possibility of a sub and I'm still looking for the right driver. It has to be a pro driver to keep up and it won't be a true sub, but will add a good foundation with a great kick.

Many thanks to Dan for the input and the ebony would be wild. I wish I could show you the Copper. The 1.5 way I did years ago with the Super 3 is a great idea for this and looks like it works great.

Smitty is right and I think Vinnie should get the room in Denver. I would help out. It can be great for both the Sig 30 and the OB.

Thanks again,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2006, 12:19 am »
Looks like the OBs will be done next week and I will have pictures.

The veneer is Quartered maple front and back on white phenolic and the substrate is 13 ply Baltic Birch.

They are 52" tall and have 3 wings. Laid out flat the would be 38.5" wide.

Thanks,
Louis

Smitty

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2006, 03:44 pm »
This is great news! Saving as we speak. When the reviews are in I can see Vinnie and Louis taking the audio world in a new direction. Who would have imagined it could be done with batteries, and a speaker with no box? It's gone from needing mega watts, and .00001 THD to the return of the ice, and the coal man, and what's next? Will we find that it has been tin foil wrapped around a cylinder all along? I eagerly await the reviews.   

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2006, 01:49 pm »
Hi Guys,

The finished OBs are here!  :thumb:

The height was changed at the last minute to 48"

I hope to find some time in the near future to take pictures and post impressions.

Also, Michael Lavorgna (6moons) is coming to listen next Thursday for his "Road Tour" article.  Let see where this goes...  8)

Best,

Vinnie

Berndt

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jul 2006, 03:08 pm »
this would be a great thread if it had pictures...IMHO

fu_man

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2006, 09:17 am »
Vinnie,
your impressions of the new   OB's  will be  most  welcome...
in the meantime,  regarding the photos...

gimme gimme gimme!!!.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2006, 02:24 am »
Vinnie,
your impressions of the new   OB's  will be  most  welcome...
in the meantime,  regarding the photos...

gimme gimme gimme!!!.

Guys...

Been   soooo    busy  :(

I'll take pics soon. 

-Vinnie

Berndt

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jul 2006, 06:25 am »
like shooting fish in a barrel :thumb:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jul 2006, 02:47 am »
Hey guys,

It is official: Michael Lavorgna of 6moons will be stopping by on Thursday to listen to the Omega OBs and will be doing a "Road Tour" article for 6moons about his listening experience and OBs. 

Source: RWA modded Olive Symphony (analog outputs)
Amp: RWA Signature 30
Speakers: OBs made by Omega, B200 drivers
Cables: Omegaudio R cables

Michael and I will be taking pics and I'll post them on Thursday evening, along with some listening impressions. 

I know, I know.... the teasing must stop  :wink:   

Thanks for all your patience and interest!

Vinnie

fu_man

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jul 2006, 05:41 am »
Thanks for all your patience and interest!

Vinnie - what  patience?   :lol:

Enjoy your  session!

Berndt

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2006, 10:33 pm »
Will there be photos soon?

Louis O

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jul 2006, 10:49 pm »
Hi,

Many thanks to Vinnie and Michael. It was  a great time at Vinnie's and listening to the system. The amp so fantastic and running the OBs it was amazing. This speaker is so much fun and the bass is very good. I was very surprised at a number of attributes it has. The huge soundstage and also they are effortless. Hearing them in a normal room is a big plus too.

Michael took a lot of pictures and can't wait to read the review.

Thanks again Vinnie having me over for the listening session and it was  lot of fun.

Talk to you soon,
Louie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 22 Jul 2006, 01:10 am »
All,

Michael took pictures and told me that he is planning on doing the write-up this weekend and it will be submitted to Srajan (6moons) and posted very soon! 

The few pics that I took are blurry.  My camera bites the big one compared to Michaels  :banghead:

However, the pic of Louis' custom maple Signature 30 enclosure came out pretty clear and I'll have to post it.  Nice work, Louis!  :thumb:

Louis and Michael,

It was a pleasure having you guys over.... thanks for stopping over! 

Cheers!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor