Omega speakers

cxrman

Omega speakers
« on: 26 Dec 2005, 09:04 pm »
I am interested in the Omega line of high efficiency speakers. What is regarded as the top of the line in this brand? I am particularly interested in listening to classical piano, but have broad musical tastes and listen to other music. I will be using with a set amp (300 B tube) producing 8watts/amp. Listen in a moderate sized room, approximately 15x25.

tvyankee

Omega speakers
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2005, 09:39 pm »
hello,

you want to look into the hemp ver2.i heard them the other day and are very good.they are very fast and very clear sounding and disappear into the room.they are about 93db or 94db eff.i think tthey would be a good match for that amp.

i think they are somewhere around $1295.00 to $1495.00.

JeffB

Omega speakers
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2005, 10:11 pm »
I think you will most likely want to call Louis and ask him about his speaker line.
I have been watching the Omega line for a long time with an interest in buying, but it would be hard to call one speaker better than the other, just different.

I have not actually heard an Omega speaker, so the following just reflects what I have read on audiocircle.

Omega has 3 speakers especially talked about these days.
The Hemptone -- a single 8" driver made of hemp.  Louis recently found these new drivers and really like them.

The Aperiodic 8 or A8.  a single 8" driver(The Visaton B200) made of manilla hemp.  This driver has received a lot of good reviews and discussion so Louis made a speaker with it.  Both the Hemptone and A8 arrived within a couple months of each other.

The super 3.  A single 4.5" driver made by Fostex.  I think it is banana pulp.
This is a very well liked speaker.  However, a 4.5" driver will sound very different than an 8" driver without one necessarily being better than the other.

The interesting speaker of late though is the super 3 bipole.  Two 4.5" drivers in bipole configuration.  This speaker was relatively unheard of until recently and now is getting talked up quite a bit.  So many people like the Visaton B200 in open baffle, that people have been trying the super 3 bipole.  There is a modification of this speaker in the works to have 4.5" hemp drivers instead of the Fostex drivers.  The new drivers are suppossed to just drop in if you want to try it out now.

Col_Zimka

Omega speakers
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2005, 12:40 am »
Hello crxman,

I'm listening to a set of Omega 6Rs right now.  All of Louis' speakers are truly wonderful.  He wouldn't sell them if they weren't.  The level of quality you get is exceptional, from the the cabinets, to the sound, that does need to be heard to be appreciated.  I must say I've been eyeing the Bi-poles lately, but then I just saw the xrs mentioned here just a few days ago that tvyankee heard.  Tough decisions!  You need to consider your room size and type of listening you do.  Room size plays a big role.  I know Louis is so busy with a show coming up, but he's the Man with the answers.  Give him a call.  He's a true gem in this business. Whichever you choose, you're gonna love them!

Cheers

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Omega speakers
« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2005, 01:56 am »
Welcome crxman,
     I own the A8s. I have been very satisfied with them. How loud do you listen to your music? I listen at realistic levels, meaning at levels that the performance most likely originated at. I use SS mono blocks at 270 watts. I know that might sound like overkill and it probably is, but then again I know that I never push the amps to distortion and even the dynamic peaks have plenty of headroom. Most likely you dont listen as loud as I do. As the A8s are a benign load, your 300B amps should be plenty. I've never heard any other Omega models so I cant comment with any authority on them. Louis' 30 return policy assures you that your experience will ultimately be satisfactory. Solo piano on the A8s is fantastic!

onemug

Omega speakers
« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2005, 06:44 am »
I can recommend the Super 3r and the Aperiodic 8's.  I own both and have a couple 300b amps. Very nice synergy between the two. Good luck.

Russell Dawkins

Omega speakers
« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2005, 07:46 am »
It might be significant that a 74 year old blind piano tuner and restorer bought a pair of Super 3s, basically on first listen. See review on 6 moons:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/omega2/super3.html

However it is worth pointing out that neither the Aperiodic 8s or the hemptones were out yet (this was late 2004).
Russell

jrdcesq

Omega speakers
« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2005, 09:58 pm »
Hi:

I have the hemptones with the 8" driver. I have used them with an 18 watt per channel set and a 10 watt per channel push pull amp. The room was about 10 by 20. The set could play as loud as you like without breaking a sweat. The 10 watts played louder than i like to listen but it may not go as loud as you like. However, generally speaking I think you will be fine with your amp. I have heard Louis' speakers with 300b amps and they are a really good match. The dynamics of the hemptones are really startling and really lifelike on piano.

John

audiomaniac

Omega speakers
« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2005, 12:56 am »
Yes, definately give Louis a call to discuss the entire line and your particular needs and tastes. The first time I heard Omegas was 2 years ago at RMAF in Denver. I was amazed and was really impressed with Louis and how he approached making speakers. Not to mention the very realistic prices. At this year's show I heard the A8s and bought a pair on the spot. They are very fast, dynamic and have plenty of headroom with my 25 watt/channel McIntosh MC225. Plus, they don't need as much room with wall placement as some of his other models.

Louis O

Omega speakers
« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2005, 03:33 am »
Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for the great posts, I really appreciate all the great comments and helping out cxrman with his post.

I’m definitely working on the site with Vinnie and we are going to cover a lot more in regard to all the models. A lot more info will be very helpful.

Hi cxrman,

I would be more than happy to talk with you over the phone (203.847.2800) and we can discuss all the options available. It would be my pleasure.

Thanks again,
Louis