I want to get into headphones - need advice

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: I want to get into headphones - need advice
« Reply #20 on: 30 Sep 2017, 11:15 pm »
It wasn't a criticism necessarily, it was intended to clarify to the OP the different philosophies of neutrality or natural sound, so they can better understand the recommendations.
Your comment was very useful to me :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #21 on: 1 Oct 2017, 01:23 am »
Hi guys, been a big 2 channel audio guy for years and recently have been looking into headphones. Wow, did not know how many options and brands there where. I prefer a pretty flat neutral speaker in 2 channel as I have Salk and ascend speakers. Given my sound preference, I plan on using the headphones on my phone and computer and for right now do not plan on powering them with a separate amp so need something efficient. I am looking in the $200 range. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciative.

Get several from Amazon to demo, and return the ones you don't like. That is the best thing you can do. Personally given your speakers I would go above $200 if you want to be impressed by headphones. Most of the people on head-fi frankly don't have much experience with higher end speakers, especially pedigree like Salk. To get that same level of satisfaction I had to spend over $200 for headphones. I am a fan of Sennheisers myself, starting with the 599. But you need to decide if you like closed headphones or open or planar, etc. There's just no escaping the need to demo. A thousand puerile posts on head-fi won't help you. So if you have an Amazon account just get a bunch and try them out. That's what I did.

But I think you will be disappointed with <$200 if you want to be satisfied to the same degree as your 2 channel.

My .02.

dB Cooper

« Reply #22 on: 1 Oct 2017, 02:15 am »
It wasn't a criticism necessarily, it was intended to clarify to the OP the different philosophies of neutrality or natural sound, so they can better understand the recommendations.

Didn't take it that way, Dale. Was just thinking about the old saying that it was possible to make a speaker that measures great and sounds terrible. There are, it seems to me, at least two approaches to voicing. One is to design the speaker as dead-neutral as possible and let the chips fall where they may (the approach taken by the AKG K7 series and my Etymotic IEMs). The other is to take the characteristics of expected program material into account (the original Advent Loudspeaker mentioned this in their literature). Another approach, I suppose, is when the manufacturer isn't even trying to meet some definition of accuracy and deliberately designs the headphone to have a 'sound' of its own (Beats being a prime example in the headphone market).

Steering back on topic, I think wushuliu makes some excellent points too, especially about budget and SQ- although $200 might be more easily achievable in the used market.

apstoltz

« Reply #23 on: 1 Oct 2017, 02:21 am »
I definitely think I will get more of my money worth going the used route. I went to magnolia today and listened to a few, Sony was so bass heavy, b&w seemed to be to much on the top end, senheisser seemed to be the most balanced. Tomorrow I am going to go to guitar center and see what they have on demo.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #24 on: 1 Oct 2017, 06:16 am »
but most efficient use of time will come from research on "Head-Fi" .com.
It is probably the most useful and most used HP website in the US:

They have specific pages that recommend HPs and other products e.g, "best headphones under $200",
"best digital player amp under $500", etc
it is not overly corporate, and it is very "grassroots", in that members are able to give their own personal reviews
on the equipment, not just from corporate reviewers.

Head-fi is actually really bad for corporate influence, but not in the obvious direct way that you think. Basically... all the really large popular sites will have certain skewed opinions, and unfortunately also a lot of parrots who will squawk and repeat what the "popular" majority says because they want to fit in.

As some have mentioned, the best thing for you to do is to audition a few and see where your preferences in headphones lie. How your ears and brain interpret them will be different from how you process speakers.

The classic starting points that everyone should know (though these all prefer amping except for the Grado):
AKG K7## (I personally prefer think K612 is the better headphone, but the 7## series is easier to find and sell used)
Beyerdynamic DT880
Sennheiser HD600
Grado SR225
You should be able to find all of these used for under $200.

dB Cooper

« Reply #25 on: 1 Oct 2017, 02:14 pm »
Another thought for the OP: If possible, go to a GTG or a show like Capital Audiofest coming up in November in the MD suburbs just north of DC. Theres a whole ballroom of headphone purveyors. Travel would obviously bust the budget, but if you live near a show it can be a big help.

apstoltz

« Reply #26 on: 2 Oct 2017, 01:17 pm »
I think I may opt for a closed back design so I can listen at work and on the go. It appear the open back designs are more for intimate, listening sessions. Any thoughts on the Oppo PM3?

dB Cooper

« Reply #27 on: 2 Oct 2017, 03:13 pm »
It's gotten good reviews but it's also double your original target budget, which opens the door for a lot more contenders. What an insidious hobby  :icon_twisted:

apstoltz

« Reply #28 on: 2 Oct 2017, 03:17 pm »
true, I was hoping to pick up used maybe. I am going to try to listen to some cans today.

apstoltz

« Reply #29 on: 2 Oct 2017, 05:23 pm »
I had a chance to listen to the Beyer 770 pro today, the Audio Technica M50x, the V-Moda Crossfade m100 and a sennheiser studio cans....I forget the model. The V Moda is definitely not by taste, to me it seems like the bass was over saturated. The Beyer was a very nice sounding set, but seemed to be power hungry. It had a good balanced sound. Then Sennheiser also had a nice balance sound to it with a smooth overall signature. The M50x was more dynamic than the Sennhesier and the Beyer, but not as natural to my ears....although very good and I can see why many like this can. It seems like an all around performer with all genres of music. I plan on listening to some more models before I pull the trigger.

steve in jersey

« Reply #30 on: 2 Oct 2017, 05:32 pm »
I think it's simpler than that.  When you find a headphone that sounds more natural to you, particularly if you have an awareness of and preference for the sound of live music, then you've got it.

He,he,he...... I thought that's what I was saying ,Dale (Hmmm..... didn't realize the "Simplification Rule" was in play; A little specificity can give some a bit more direction as generic advice tends to be..... generic) (What's that generic webtalk salutation ??? YMMV)

Armaegis

« Reply #31 on: 2 Oct 2017, 06:03 pm »
I had a chance to listen to the Beyer 770 pro today, the Audio Technica M50x, the V-Moda Crossfade m100 and a sennheiser studio cans....I forget the model. The V Moda is definitely not by taste, to me it seems like the bass was over saturated. The Beyer was a very nice sounding set, but seemed to be power hungry. It had a good balanced sound. Then Sennheiser also had a nice balance sound to it with a smooth overall signature. The M50x was more dynamic than the Sennhesier and the Beyer, but not as natural to my ears....although very good and I can see why many like this can. It seems like an all around performer with all genres of music. I plan on listening to some more models before I pull the trigger.

The full sized Beyers are indeed power hungry. With the DT770/880/990, you should also check what the impedance rating is. I know there's a 32ohm model for the DT770 which would be a bit easier to drive. With Beyers, also consider checking out the DT1350 or T50p (they are both on-ear however, so the fitting and comfort will be very different); both are meant for portable use and don't need amps.

The V-Moda M100 is very bass. The smaller XS has a much more neutral signature.

The Audio Technica M50x is one of the most frequently recommended headphones for good reason. Personally I find it slightly strident in the highs, but not awful.

I don't know which Sennheiser model you listened to... if it was the DJ headphone, most likely the HD280 which is somewhat similar to the M50x, maybe warmer in sound. If it was one of the newer sealed cans (HD569?) they are typically quite smooth in response more similar to their open backed series.

I personally like the Oppo PM-3, but it is not an "exciting" headphone. Very plain and unassuming, even smoother than the Sennheisers. I like it for its neutrality and because they are also super comfortable for me, plus fold up compactly in the case for transport.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 2 Oct 2017, 08:40 pm »
I have Salk Songtowersas well...and no headphones will take their place....totally different experience.

That said if your budget is $200 then its hard to get to the same kind of excellence that you experience with your Song's.

I would by these: AKG 701's....$199. I had two pairs of them over the years and will work well for what you want to do....

https://www.amazon.com/AKG-Acoustics-K701-Reference-Headphones/dp/B000EBBJ6Y

Over time you most  likely will move up to a good dac and amp...then the possibilities open uo even more and the cost goes up as well...

Alex

apstoltz

« Reply #33 on: 4 Oct 2017, 12:13 am »
I think I have it narrowed to the sennheiser 558, the beyerdynamic 770 pro, but would love to demo the ThinkSound as I really like the look of the wood. Aesthetics the b&w and master dynamic cans are terrific but o my ears the sennheiser and Breyer sound better.

jibzilla

« Reply #34 on: 4 Oct 2017, 06:33 am »
If you can I would stretch your budget and go for an hd600 new and used headroom/wheatfield amp or hd650 with a used Gilmore light amp. Not that people do not take care of their headphones. It is just awfully personal smell wise imo and a headband and ear pad exchange usually isn't cheap and eats up any savings quick. Headphone amps not so much to worry about used. That should get you decently close to your speaker set up headphone wise.

I have Sony APM-4 speakers with Tannoy/Teac st100's and Technics SE-A100 power amp. I also have Sennheiser hd800's with a ECP audio dsha-2 headphone amp. I really think both formats have allot to offer if given the chance. 

Armaegis

« Reply #35 on: 4 Oct 2017, 06:47 am »
Well... a big part of the decision is going to be open vs closed here isn't it?

If it makes a difference, the older HD555 can often be found for dirt cheap.

A similar but easier to drive can compared to the DT770 would be Beyer's own COP.

mcgsxr

« Reply #36 on: 4 Oct 2017, 11:40 am »
I tested used 555’s against some new 598’s I bought.  Very similar sound.

If open headphones work for you I would recommend the 598’s for a new purchase. 

apstoltz

« Reply #37 on: 4 Oct 2017, 12:37 pm »
I tested used 555’s against some new 598’s I bought.  Very similar sound.

If open headphones work for you I would recommend the 598’s for a new purchase.

Is the 558 and 559 the newer version of the 555?

Armaegis

« Reply #38 on: 4 Oct 2017, 02:25 pm »
Is the 558 and 559 the newer version of the 555?

Yes, and there was a common mod to convert the 555 to the equivalent 595 by removing a piece of foam inside.

coke

« Reply #39 on: 4 Oct 2017, 04:02 pm »
The IEMs I use in my office recently broke, and I've been in need of a replacement.  Earlier this week I received a $100 amazon gift card, so I decided to start shopping and came across this thread.

Some quick facts:
I also own salks (songtowers and HT2-TLs)
I wanted a neutral sound
I wanted closed over ear for office use
I have a small amp, but wanted something that would work off a phone or ipod
I wanted to stay under $200.

After reading this thread and a quick search online, I went with NAD HP50.  The red version is on Amazon for $150. After my gift card, I got them shipped for a total of $50  :dance:

I'll try to report back once I get a chance to listen.  I've had a couple sets of sub $100 over ear headphones, and some fairly nice Etymotic, Sure, and Ortofon IEMs, but this will be my first set of decent over ear headphones.