Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophone

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum

dB Cooper

Re: Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophone
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2016, 02:48 pm »
They've been around forever but seem to largely fly under the radar, even with the current renaissance in planar designs.

Just took a quick look at customer reviews on Amazon. All generally liked the sound, but three out of the five dinged them on build quality and/or had had to get them serviced.

Found this Stereophile review but it's from 1992 so doesn't provide any reference to more current designs. This review also mentioned QC problems with several samples (but there is a lifetime warranty).

If you are considering planar headphones but not determined to go with 'stats per se, I'd probably check out planar magnetics such as the Audeze EL-8's for the same (or less) cost. Planar magnetics are less complicated (no bias required) and the Audeze and Hifiman offerings in this price range are much newer designs.

jonbee

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2016, 05:54 pm »
I've owned them a number of years ago.
They are heavy and not too comfortable. Sound was quite good, but they wouldn't play loudly, and like most 'stats, aren't the most dynamic sounding. Reliability is spotty as well.
Good modern phones are certainly better in all these ways. In particular, good modern planars, starting with HiFiman 400s or higher offer generally the same type of sound, but will play louder, are lighter, and more reliable.
Certainly for the $ the HE-560, which I now own, is a more practical and reliable choice, but Audeze makes good phones as well.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2016, 05:59 pm »
Thanks guys!

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2016, 06:03 pm »
I've heard them before. Overall quite nice, a bit shy in the bass but not egregiously so and I suspect that the pads are to blame. Mids are nice and carry the electrostatic quality of quickness. If I had to nitpick there was a slight paperiness to the upper end, but I feel this might have been the enclosure and not the diaphragm itself.

The build quality is functional, but still leaves much to be desired (for comparison though, any of the Stax models that aren't the SR series are even more questionable). I've seen the reports on QC control, but at least Koss has their superb warranty. Audeze and Hifiman have both had issues with QC as well, so it's not fair to pick on Koss.

You can occasionally find them on sale for $500-ish, which for the sound quality seems quite reasonable to me. I think if Koss could improve the build quality and provide some pads that actually seal properly to improve the bass response, it would be a recommended $1k+ product easily.