Big Trouble, Headphone fix service or advice

Fallingsnowfy

Big Trouble, Headphone fix service or advice
« on: 1 Jun 2016, 08:57 pm »
Hello im in big trouble, i was trying to mod my headphones. And i cut a cable that goes to the left channel inside the cup, now i tried to solder the cable but no luck. After close inspection i saw that the single cable has two wires inside, but the wires are not insulated. I think that those are positive and negative, but why are not insulated they are basically touching each other. I tried soldering each wire separately but no luck.  Im so sad and angry because the headphones are discontinued and this are my first real pair of headphones i had.

Does any Member knows of a trust reapir shop online, or a possible solution. I will gladly will make a donation for a posible solution.

My headphones are ATH A900x Close cans. Thanks Guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gab

Re: Big Trouble, Headphone fix service or advice
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2016, 09:49 pm »
Well - here is one alternative if you can't get them fixed:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143395.msg1531418#new

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: Big Trouble, Headphone fix service or advice
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2016, 10:57 pm »
The wires actually are insulated in a way. They are most likely enameled, which is a very thin coating that electrically insulates them but also prevents solder from sticking. With solid core wires you can usually scrape the enamel off very carefully with a knife. With stranded wires, your best bet is to burn/melt the enamel off.

Easier said than done however. If you have a good lighter that produces a mini jet, hold the wire (with tweezers or something) and put the tip of the wire into the bright blue part of the flame. Or if your soldering iron has an adjustable range, max it out and let it heat up, get a solder blob on the iron tip and dip the wire into that (some flux will be helpful here as the blob will develop an oxide coating very quickly). Once you get the enamel off, you can solder like normal.