Headphone Mania is.......

dB Cooper

Re: Headphone Mania is.......
« Reply #40 on: 29 Apr 2016, 02:24 am »
Got my first ever headphone system up and running tonight. Mytek Brooklyn DAC and Audeze LCD-2 headphones.
So far I'm very impressed!

Thats a pretty good start, all right...

SlushPuppy

« Reply #41 on: 29 Apr 2016, 02:43 am »
That's a very nice setup SP, you should be impressed.  Notice the level of detail that's better than almost any speakers you've heard anywhere near the price of the headphones, even several multiples of the price?

Yep, I noticed the extra detail almost immediately. I've listened to Todd Rundgren's "Runt: The Ballad of Todd Rundgren" all my life and never realized how many vocal layers he recorded on those songs. I really like my Von Schweikert VR-33's, but this is something special.

95Dyna

« Reply #42 on: 11 Dec 2017, 08:52 pm »
My first entry into headphones was with a Grado SR80. I thought it was fantastic at the time... Oh how naive I was.

Grados established their market presence quite some years ago though, so their "brand" is known sort of like Bose. Sometimes history is enough to keep your sales going, despite lacklustre products. I don't like Grados anymore, but they make for fantastic trade fodder because people are always gobbling them up.

Just bought the PS2000e's with Bryston BHA-1. Had the Cardas Clear 4 pin balanced cable installed at the factory.  All I can say is I'm sure glad I didn't let this assessment influence my decision.  Robert Levy in His "Positive Feedback" review said that these Grados are in a different league than his MrSpeakers Ether Flows and they are currently on InnerFidelity's Wall of Fame.

dB Cooper

« Reply #43 on: 15 Dec 2017, 03:42 am »
My first entry into headphones was with a Grado SR80. I thought it was fantastic at the time... Oh how naive I was.

Grados established their market presence quite some years ago though, so their "brand" is known sort of like Bose. Sometimes history is enough to keep your sales going, despite lacklustre products. I don't like Grados anymore, but they make for fantastic trade fodder because people are always gobbling them up.

You gotta hand it to them, they have done pretty well making some of the most uncomfortable headphones on the market. I have never been able to keep a pair on long enough to make much of a judgment about their sound. The giant 'bowl' earpads help but the lower priced models don't come with those.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #44 on: 15 Dec 2017, 07:13 am »
Here's my best attempt to flatten the sound of the $1700 USD PS1000e.  Should this seem too extreme, just check the Amazon reviews.

http://dalethorn.com/Photos/Audioforge/Grado_Ps1000e.jpg
I wish your graph had units, on both X and Y axes.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #45 on: 15 Dec 2017, 07:38 am »
Been there, done that, with Grados, Yamahas, Fostex's, Beyerdynamics, AKGs and Etymotic Research.

It's time to get serious.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INSANE-CHROME-1970s-VINTAGE-STEREO-HEADPHONES-MID-CENTURY-RETRO-PROP-Solar-HD813-/263384730041

BigChubby

« Reply #46 on: 15 Dec 2017, 11:43 am »
You gotta hand it to them, they have done pretty well making some of the most uncomfortable headphones on the market. I have never been able to keep a pair on long enough to make much of a judgment about their sound. The giant 'bowl' earpads help but the lower priced models don't come with those.

I have to agree.  I've listened to a number of Grado models over the years, but like you, I really just didn't like the way they felt on my head or ears.  Even their higher end phones, at least to me, are uncomfortable.  I guess there are some heads out there that they fit well.  Mine isn't particularly large or small or oddly shaped ( at least the people I know haven't commented on it).  But each to his own.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #48 on: 15 Dec 2017, 06:27 pm »
Aren't those made from the taillight bezels of a '57 Cadillac?
Good call.
Except these are going for $1650!

you twist the 'speaker basket' to adjust volume...