Headphone Mania is.......

milford3

Re: Headphone Mania is.......
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jun 2013, 11:54 pm »
Finally got the adapter I needed to run the (new) Beyer DT-880's.  These cans are extremely well made and comfortable as sin.  Compared to the Senn HD555 they exhibit a tamed yet delicate high end, much improved bass with a silky smooth mid range.   Break in period or not, plan on putting a lot miles on these.  So, first impressions are quite positive.

FireGuy, welcome to the Schiit and Beyer family.  And if I see correctly in your pic is the headphone holder a banana holder?  If so , what a brilliant idea. 8)

FireGuy

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jun 2013, 12:00 am »

I'm probably not the first, but yes...it's a banana holder.  I plan on getting another one for the Senns. 

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jun 2013, 03:36 pm »
Great idea!!!! :thumb:

jsaliga

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jun 2013, 08:26 pm »

I duplicated a set up that someone else pioneered on Head-Fi, using HiFiman HE-500 headphones driven from the speaker terminals of a small Emotiva desktop amp that is rated at 50 wpc into 8 ohms.  Where my rig differs is that I am using a M2Tech HiFace USB DAC and JRiver Media Center 18 as my front end:

It took a long time for this rig to come together mainly because of the headphone cable.  I ordered a custom cable from one vendor and after waiting three weeks and still no ship date I went to Moon Audio.  Drew said headphone cables usually take a few days to ship.  So I ordered a Black Dragon 10ft cable terminated to a 4-pin XLR male connector, and then bought a 1.5ft adapter cable to go from 4-pin female XLR to banana plugs to connect to the amp.  This way if I want to use my phones with another amp and need a 1/4" stereo or 1/8" stereo plug I can buy another adapter cable rather than having to buy a new headphone cable.

This is the best sounding headphone setup I have owned and might end up buying the HiFiman HE-6.  The nice thing is that the Emotiva desktop amp has more than enough power.  I have been wanting to get this done for the longest time because I like to listen late at night while I work, and I can't be blasting my speakers and driving my wife nuts.  Now I have an excellent late-night listening rig that will provide me with satisfying music and let my wife relax in peace.

--Jerome

fejnomit

« Reply #24 on: 27 Dec 2013, 07:08 pm »
Go for it! I have HE-6s tap-wired to a Sugden A21SE and the sound is the best I have ever heard from headphones.  They really are a step above the HE-500 and you will be will served with the Emotiva.  The Planars are a revelation - the best of electrostatics combined with the best of dynamics. 

jibzilla

« Reply #25 on: 2 Jun 2014, 08:55 am »
I have speakers but a lil more invested in headphones.

joessportster

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jul 2014, 06:31 pm »
mania transcends all types of Audio........................It is a disease that can kill         (your wallet that is :P)

I have been on a 40 year journey, sold off all audio out of necessity a couple years ago, then last year started looking at headphones. Read all the reviews and ended up buying Senn. HD650............hated them, added a Schiit Valhalla and Loved them, added the Modi dac and improvement seen, moved to the Bifrost uber and still improvement...........................M ade the mistake of reading further and bought HifiMan HE500 still improvement, of course  now I must improve my amp welcome ampsandsound se84, then ampsandsound Kenzie (the best  :drool:)............time for a new dac welcome audio gd 11.32 (crap software very disappointed  :finger:)  goodbye audio gd, next waiting on the Centrance Dac Mini supposed to be here Wednesday

all this in about 15 months................................. ..MANIA..........................Yea I can agree with that :duh:

Guy 13

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jul 2014, 01:52 am »
Wanting to own the  Beyerdynamic Tesla T1.  The issue is breaking the news to my better half about the clams needed to get these puppies.  But hey, you only live once, right?

Hi milford3.
Breaking the news to your better half about that purchase you want to do and maybe your better half will break your back! :duh:
Yes, we only live once, but if you want to live the one time a bit longer, try to break the news slowly. :lol:

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jul 2014, 02:00 am »
Finally, the Grado RS1i's are breaking in after 50+ hours.  For all you Grado owners out there I NOW know what the fuss is all about.  Only draw back with the RS1's are the ear pads.  But hey, I'll take the sound over comfort anytime. :P

Hi milford3.
I bought a Made in USA pair of Grado,
but the ear pads fell apart within a short time (They dried up and became brittle.)
and I did not like the sound (You had to push them against your ears to get a good full sound)
and I did not like the look, I really did not like the look,
so I gave them to my wife and my wife hide them so well,
that she don't remember where she put them.
By the way, I paid 100 USD for pair of demo 20 years ago.
I don't want to give Grado a second chance, because I really find them ugly.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #29 on: 21 Jul 2014, 02:04 am »
Long time lurker who just posted in the Burson Soloist SL thread

Headphone Mania has taken over in this house in late 2012 into 2013

3 years with a Decware CSP2 and Sennheiser HD650 and AKG 701....the CSP2/HD650 is something special

Recently bought:

--Beyerdynamic T-90
--Burson Soloist SL
--Beyerdynamic DT-1350
--JDS Labs ODAC and C421 amp

the most exciting of the bunch of new purchases has been the Beyerdynamic T-90's.....they are like a mix of the best of the HD650 and AKG701 put together in one

Really want to hear the HE-400 with the Burson Soloist SL.....I think they would match well

Hi bepbep.

I wanted to buy the Decware CSP2 (I already own a Decware SE84C+) for my HD650,
but at almost three time the price of the Bottlehead Crack, I delete that idea.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #30 on: 21 Jul 2014, 02:10 am »
Finally got the adapter I needed to run the (new) Beyer DT-880's.  These cans are extremely well made and comfortable as sin.  Compared to the Senn HD555 they exhibit a tamed yet delicate high end, much improved bass with a silky smooth mid range.   Break in period or not, plan on putting a lot miles on these.  So, first impressions are quite positive.

Hi FireGuy.
The Schiit Valhalla was on my wish list,
but I did not buy it because many owners said it ran hot, very hot
and in my mind, the heat is an electronic killer, in addition,
I don't like PCB, but I do like tubes and the look and the small size.
I don't know if I would have been happy with the Valhalla compared to the Crack?
As for the Bayer Dynamic DT-880 I listen to them on my Crack and they sounded good,
but for my head, they were not comfortable.

Guy 13

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #31 on: 7 Nov 2015, 06:24 am »
I had been into headphones for several years, but my descent into madness didn't come until I made a very irresponsible upgrade to the Hifiman HE-6. My (now ex) had run off with her boss' son, and I was in a pretty bad mental state and suddenly acquiring a really expensive headphone didn't seem like a bad idea. But now I'm trapped into the never ending loop of upgrade-itis. I was fine in mid-fi land, content playing around with stuff and not moving up the ladder, but big toys beget bigger toys. I had monoblocks for my headphones at one point...

Guy 13

« Reply #32 on: 27 Nov 2015, 11:10 pm »
This seems like a good time to add a comment.  I've used headphones for a long time, even when I could use speakers, at least for portable use.  In 2011, for some reason it seemed like headphones were taking off in a big way, probably at least in part because I noticed new headphones in the Apple store.  So anyway, a few (more than a few) headphones later, I usually go through the dozen or so that I have and sell one or two, or donate one of the lower-cost models to charity.  Then of course, it's time for a new one.  I'm a sucker for big names like Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser etc., if they have something new, affordable, but unique in the sense that I'm not re-buying the same old stuff.  But every so often, a new brand (or new to me) surfaces that looks really interesting, and in some cases I really feel compelled to buy it (AQ Nighthawk, SF Pryma etc.), good or bad, and in other cases I can't quite get to the point of feeling like committing a bunch of money to it (Master & Dynamic etc.)  I rarely return anything I buy, so my keepers are all useable, and I know I can always find one lying around that will suit any purpose I have.  But I'm always on the lookout for a new headphone that can do more - i.e. have the style of a v-moda or Pryma, the build quality of the better Senn's or Beyers, and breakthrough sound that has perfect detail, warmth, and smoothness etc.  But with all of that, headphones have a remarkable way of disappointing sometimes, if the manufacturer ignores the fit issues - earcups don't fit even with the ears, not enough headband adjustment, not enough rotation or swiveling to fit the head better, and so on.  So when someone in a forum asks for the perfect headphone (for them), putting all of those factors together, and at a reasonable price, that's priceless.

dalethorn you are  :thumb:  :thumb:

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #33 on: 27 Nov 2015, 11:17 pm »
Hi all,
I will keep my Sennheiser HD-570 and HD-650 headphones,
but when I return on planet Vietnam,
I am not sure if I will keep my Bottlehead Crack.
I really prefer to listen to my Decware and Omega set up.
Playing loud is not a problem for me with my 12'' thick re-inforced floor and ceiling,
therefore I don't need headphones private listening.

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • All Tweeters look like a target, then shoot them!
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #34 on: 27 Nov 2015, 11:26 pm »
Hi milford3.
I bought a Made in USA pair of Grado,
but the ear pads fell apart within a short time (They dried up and became brittle.)
and I did not like the sound (You had to push them against your ears to get a good full sound)
and I did not like the look, I really did not like the look,
so I gave them to my wife and my wife hide them so well,
that she don't remember where she put them.
By the way, I paid 100 USD for pair of demo 20 years ago.
I don't want to give Grado a second chance, because I really find them ugly.

Guy 13
+1 I also think Grados are ugliest phones on earth.
The only phones I pretty are the HifiMan old model,
they look solid and when you get hands on them you
confirms the round plastics cans and the metals arcs
are very solid, however the connectors are fragile.

dB Cooper

« Reply #35 on: 29 Nov 2015, 10:50 pm »
But if I got another Grado (I sold my 325 and the GH1), I would recable it so the cable weighs less than the headphone.
That's funny... and true! Hey, at least they're not flimsy... I once saw an iPhone belonging to a customer who had re-wired his Grados with some 'boutique' cable that was even heavier and stiffer than the stock cable... The cable (which looked like a guitar cable) put so much pressure on the headphone jack it broke the jack requiring complete replacement of the phone. Wonder how much he paid for 'better sound' only to end up with no sound.

Then I would get the better pads from places like EarZonk, or if I could only order Grado pads, I'd get the pads for the PS500, because they're softer than the pads on the cheaper models.

I hear the earpads for the venerable Sennheiser 414's work well, but seems to me like Grados require too much tweaking to justify themselves: Rewiring so the cables don't weigh a ton, bending the headbands, aftermarket earpads etc etc etc.... I understand why people like them, I've heard some that sound good, but their mechanical design is crude and they suffer significantly from a user comfort perspective as a result IMHO.

Freo-1

« Reply #36 on: 29 Nov 2015, 11:42 pm »
For home use, I have two Stax phones/amps.  One is a SR4040 setup (with NOS RCA tubes).  The other is a SR 507 phone with a SR-007tII amp setup (also with NOS RCA tubes).  Love the Stax units. 

At work, use a Sony MDR V700 headphones.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #37 on: 30 Nov 2015, 08:24 pm »
I think Grado has a mystique that defies explanation.  The last time I advertised several headphones for sale, the only 2 that sold were the SR325e and the GH1, and I got 70 percent of MSRP for both.

My first entry into headphones was with a Grado SR80. I thought it was fantastic at the time... Oh how naive I was.

Grados established their market presence quite some years ago though, so their "brand" is known sort of like Bose. Sometimes history is enough to keep your sales going, despite lacklustre products. I don't like Grados anymore, but they make for fantastic trade fodder because people are always gobbling them up.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #38 on: 29 Apr 2016, 01:55 am »
Got my first ever headphone system up and running tonight. Mytek Brooklyn DAC and Audeze LCD-2 headphones.
So far I'm very impressed!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #39 on: 29 Apr 2016, 02:16 am »
That's a very nice setup SP, you should be impressed.  Notice the level of detail that's better than almost any speakers you've heard anywhere near the price of the headphones, even several multiples of the price?