Just When I thought I Would Never Do This Again....

ajzepp

Re: Just When I thought I Would Never Do This Again....
« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2012, 06:02 am »
I am just done listening to La Boheme through my PS500's, HiFiMan HE500's, and my 325i's. I would not say that 325's will give as much as the others, but after they break in, which may take 60 to 100 hours,  my experience is that they settle down and give a good performance on many types of music.
Prior to that point it would have been easy to sell them or take them back or leave them in a closet...  They are worth the wait, though.  I personally don't
have trouble with the comfort factor, my ears are small. Good luck, and enjoy them as an alternative to your LCD-2's.

Wow, how does Operatic music do on the Grados?? That's one genre I haven't tried yet, mainly because I wouldn't have any idea how to choose a good recording of a particular piece.

Douger

« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2012, 11:14 am »
I bought the RCA Living Stereo 60 CD collection which included La Boheme. The HE500's put me in a center 8th row seat so I could see and hear the
complete stage. The Grado's put me on the stage... With the 325i's I seemed to hear each performer but not much ambience, the PS500's gave me more ambience, stronger but still not as spatially organized. I only am aware of this because I have attended several operas in person, in good halls. The Grado's give a very good account of the quality of the music, though.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2012, 12:20 pm »
I use mine (modded SR125's) for all kinds of music and movies also....sounds good to me playing anything so far....
I like to swap around between headphones, my HE-5LE's and SR125's are always ready to go for any type of listening I go for.
 I really have to save for some PS500's though, they are so cool looking to me.....LOL :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2012, 02:33 pm »
Well they have arrived!

Put this together rather quickly, not scientific at all....mostly opinion and subjective in nature...please excuse any mispellings...

2 hours listening last night.

First impression was wow, what small transducers...tiny compared to the LCD2's...nothing special in the boxing or packaging for sure...simple, spartan, plain...no highly polished Rosewood box with velour!! lol.

They seem very well built, solid, nice heft for the size...they fit my head perfectly...right on my ears centered, the LCD2's cover my entire ear. The tension to me is ok, not as bad as I have read etc...no need to adjust the headband for me, the tension on the pads on my ears is just fine for me.

The pads are a bit scratchy feeling at first and the foam material is very dense...if too soft they would most likely collapse over time and be too close to your ears...etc..in 2 hours of listening and taking them on and off to compare they never felt really uncomfortable...just different... they actually are easier to wear than the BIG LCD2's...I have grown accustomed to the LCD2's size and heft...and these 325is make the size difference very apparent...

The cord is large in diameter...really nice, maybe the conductor wire gauge is small but the overall size seems like a AC power cord in girth...exudes quality...all in all the overall package seems very well made...even if they seem 'tiny' to me.

I used a Lyr 6 watt headphone amp and my AVA Insight + Pre-Amp headphone section...this is a Van Alstine Audio preamp...all my material was coming from a newly built HTPC, another adventure....FLACS via JRiver, WSAPI Event Style/Mode etc to a HRT Music Streamer ii+ USB DAC (asynchronous) to the LYR and/or Insight+.

Before I used these in the above setup I quickly plugged them into another PC I use for gaming etc ..had to use a 1/4 to mini-stereo adapter to plug into the PC....the PC has a ASUS i920 2 yr old motherboard....and using the el cheopo on-board sound chip...was able to drive these cans easily...to loud levels...and the sound was nice...

When using the Lyr and the Grados the volume control never gets over 10 o'clock on the volume dial, many times only 9:30 or so drives these cans to very loud levels...the LCD2's need twice as much on the volume knob to open them up....

I also noticed that the Grados seem to need a certain volume or power level to make them really shine. If less than this they sound ho-hum...but when just cranking the volume up a little more seem to make them come into their own very, very nicely.

The difference between the LYR and the Insight +, was dramatic. The Lyr is smoother less brittle etc. the preamp is more brittle, brighter, more clinical etc...less warm for sure...depending on the material and recording with the Grados I prefer the LYR tube amp over the SS of the Insight+...with the LCD2's I like either about the same....its amazing how different stuff sounds differently on different equipment...being a real analytical person this drives me crazy.....

I listened to a bunch of songs, over a wide variety....pop, classical, rock, vocals etc...and did an immediate A/B between the LCD2's and the Grados...

Where to start....first impression was where is the soundstage...only after cranking up the volume did they start to sound good...adjectives...tight, focused, bright..forward, centered etc...this must be the Grado sound....compared to the LCD2's which in comparison are less centered, more wider, more 'dark'...dont confuse dark with less musical ....the real big difference is the soundstage in the Grados is less wide than the LCD2's, the vocals are very "right' there in the center of you head with smaller extensions to the left and right.

Linda Rondstadts 'Round Midnight' solo was exceptional with the Grados, exceptional with the LCD2's...preference both are very well done...she was in your head vs spread out somewhat.  Her vocals can pierce a piece of wood 2 feet thick...and the grados reproduced this very well, no sibliance etc...I was really surprised how well they do with vocals. The opening in this song has a person saying "1,2,3 and a 4.." this is very low level and easier to hear in the LCD's at volume than with the Grados. Seems like the LCD2's have more ability to resolve low level or background sound?

Doc Powell's 97th and Columbus was really nice, light jazz...the grados seem to do well with this type of music...only when the brass etc comes or fast snare drums etc...do they sound overly bright at times, turning down the volume seems to tame this a bit...the LCD2's dont have this issue at all. The soundstage is tight and coherant, not really wide but right there.....centered. The LCD2's are much wider in this aspect.

The only objectional issue I had was with overly bright recordings and brass or really conjested or complex pieces...I prefer the LCD2's for these or not at all. I didnt by these to fix or tame bad or less than stellar recordings...

The bass is really good but not as good as the Audeze for sure, but its amazing how nice they do play bass..again it depends on the recording a lot. Regina Spektors Fidelity bass lines are really, really good with the Grados, played at moderate levels its amazing that they do this well with such small transducers....

Adele's Daydreamer...vocals are again right there in your head, centered, close, focused....forward...like she is projecting out from your head...very different from the LCD2's which are more layed back and really mellow...very musical.

Allison Krauss, 100 Miles etc...very nice, great vocals. Also the piano was very well done on this material as well. Just not as open as the LCD2's, very warm, forward, centered cohesive soundfield. When the vocal comes in its a like "WOW" there she is..right there in my head....not way back at a lower amplitude or level.... I call this 'forward'....

Kenny Rankins "How Do You Start"..male vocal on the Grados was a 10 out of a 10 to me even compared to the LCD2's....the LCD2's were are 10 as well, its just the sound and representation is just different..one is more colored for sure. but its really warm and sweet on the Grados.

Al Jarreau's Random Act Of Love....again vocals with wonderful bass kick....

Fourplays Between the Sheets, "Chant" opening is used by many demo folks at shows etc...the first minute or so featuring drums etc. are very, very well done on the LCD2's but the GRADOS surprised me being REALLY good here as well...either one pleases me greatly.

Norah Jones....female vocal. very well done, again forward, tight, focused center soundstage, no holes in the presentation...less wide...good or bad.

Johnny Cash, America IV, The Man Comes Around. Just Cash, his voice and his guitar...this is wonderfully reproduced with the Grados...as well as the LCD2's...seems like with music that is simple and has a narrow focus is where these Grados really excel in their own way...

I played several other cd's (flacs). Nils Lofgren, Spyrogyra, Beatles Re-Mastered, Aimee Mann, Ben Harper, Diana Krall, etc...

The end result after 2 hours is if I could not afford $1K cans these definitely would be more than adequate for most of the stuff we listen to...the sound is very different from the orthos...and to me are bright, forward, centered, focused etc....do very well with vocals etc...have the ability to be able to tell good recordings from bad or ho-hum recordings...do well with really well mastered stuff, perform less than stellar with mediocce stuff...again to me...Most of this is subjective.

Having a set of AKG 702's as well...which I think are the most comforatable headphones ever, very clean, articulate, these grados are an in your face type of sound, which can surprise you. Compared to the LCD2's ...well really they are in a different league, require a good amp, very musical, wide soundstage etc....at times I think too wide, but only after listening to these little guys.

Dont think I will sell these anytime soon...lets see how the play over the long haul....seems like I go back and forth in spurts between the 2 ch rig and the cans...

All the best
Alex

ajzepp

« Reply #24 on: 24 May 2012, 12:25 am »
Wow, great read Alex! Reading what you wrote just confirms what I've been hearing with my own ears. I think the 325s get a bad rap on head-fi, cause they are fantastic cans. Just like you, I find the vocals excellent and dead-center, with the overall sound stage being average in size compared to what other headphones can do. I also agree about the bass...not nearly the same depth as other headphones, but the bass that is there is very tight and crisp. Clearly they are inferior overall to something like the great LCD-2s, but the fact that they can still be enjoyable in a head to head comparison says a lot about the Grados.

Part of why I love the PS500s is because they get you a little more width to the sound stage with a little more extension in the low end, and those few times when things can become a tad too bright are eliminated on the 500s. As much as I love my 325s and plan to always keep them, the 500s are - so far - the perfect headphone for me.

Thanks for sharing that excellent write-up!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2012, 02:02 am »
ajzepp...

yup these are really neat cans in their own right..I would have no problem listening to them for hours.

The sound is definitely forward and focused and very entertaining for sure.

Its neat to go through your music to hear it in a new light for sure.

We will see how the change over time many say they will break in etc...dont know about that but we shall see.

Good listening!
All the best
Alex
 :D

Quiet Earth

« Reply #26 on: 24 May 2012, 02:45 am »
They will break in or loosen up a little. The comments that they need to be at a minimum volume level to really shine, and that brass and high density passages sound congested is a pretty good indication that they are fresh out of the box. Sounds normal to me. That will all improve over time.

Just play them at sane levels and enjoy!  :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 10 Jun 2012, 01:09 pm »
Well after a few weeks of playing these, used them for computer gaming just get hours on them. Funny they really made the gaming experience very nice, I could hear things in games I had a hard time hearing before....

I did try the LCD2's the other night and the impression was "WOW" these are really head and shoulders above the Grados...soundstage, fidelity and total immersion was very apparent. So whats this mean? It means the LCD2's are truly world class and the Grados are not in the same legue, but for the price differential what would you expect.

That said I have used the Grados for hours on end gaming with no real discomfort and I now have them on another PC where I do photo work and listen to Flacs via winamp etc and they really sound very nice running in this mode.

They are so much better than the other stuff I had here. (el cheopo Sony $20 types)...

Still find that you have to play at a certain volume level to get these cans to open up...low volumes make these sound like low dollar phones to me...there seems to be this threshold.

All in all I would buy these again...they compete well in this price range and after the AKG 702's another great headphone its become to me a very personal choice when it comes to picking out stuff like headphones....

Once you get back to the music and forget about whats good or bad...its amazing how nice they can be...listenting to Renee Olstead as we type and she sounds marvelous!

All the best and Happu Sunday!
Alex

ajzepp

« Reply #28 on: 10 Jun 2012, 03:03 pm »
Alex: That's awesome you got to hear the LCD-2s! I'm dying to give them a listen. I haven't been in headphones as long as others, but I find that there is a significant difference from the $300 price point to the $6-900 point. I think the 325s compete pretty well at their number, but I can only imagine how much nicer the LCDs would sound. Sounds like you've come to the same conclusion I have: The 325s are definitely keepers, but better sound can be had!  :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #29 on: 12 Jul 2012, 06:46 pm »
I got a new O2 headphone amp after reading lots of good stuff about it and its relatively inexpensive....$144.

I have used it with the Grados and my LCD2's...it has taken the Grados to the next level for sure....this amp makes the Grados sound very very clear and just amazes me at how good they are... compared to the LCD2's for a lot more money they are clearer to me, but dont have the overall soundstage and yes a bit bright on the high end...but all in all I could be
very happy with just these and this amp and NO LCD2's....its really that nice.

I keep going back and forth between tehe 2 and before this amp the LCD2s' were a 10 out of a 10 for sure, now the gap has closed, again not as good toatally for sure, but its really amazing how well the bass now is and overall sound....crisp, not muddy etc...

Aint technology Great!
Alex

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 12 Jul 2012, 08:31 pm »
Alex can you send me the link to where you bought the O2 or post it here. I would like to check into that unit if you wouldn't mind. Thanks!!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: 12 Jul 2012, 09:03 pm »
eclein...

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

$144, add add the power adapter for total of $156...or get one from other source...
in the instructions it has 4 AC to AC adpaters as suggested.

OR just the asssembled board with batteries...for $99...u provide the case etc..

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Asmb

Alex

Note: I know what that picture is in your avatar!!! LOL!!
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2012, 11:22 pm by adydula »

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #32 on: 16 Jul 2012, 04:44 pm »
I got a new O2 headphone amp after reading lots of good stuff about it and its relatively inexpensive....$144.

I have used it with the Grados and my LCD2's...it has taken the Grados to the next level for sure....this amp makes the Grados sound very very clear and just amazes me at how good they are... compared to the LCD2's for a lot more money they are clearer to me, but dont have the overall soundstage and yes a bit bright on the high end...but all in all I could be
very happy with just these and this amp and NO LCD2's....its really that nice.

I keep going back and forth between tehe 2 and before this amp the LCD2s' were a 10 out of a 10 for sure, now the gap has closed, again not as good toatally for sure, but its really amazing how well the bass now is and overall sound....crisp, not muddy etc...

Aint technology Great!
Alex

Glad to see how pleased you are with your new Grados. I'm not surprised about how close they are in performance with the LCD-2. I've sometimes been misled by the presumption that a higher cost piece of gear just has to be better in direct proportion to its higher price. I've discovered that higher priced stuff, like the LCD-2s, are better than lower priced cans, but not in direct proportion. I now own Shure and KRK headphones that at not as good, but closer than the price differential would suggest. The same goes with my other audio equipment.

As to buying more headphones when you already have good or even great ones, I think we do this just for the fun of trying something new, and headphones in the $2-500 range, let's say, makes a pricey kind of fun, but for some people not a deal breaker.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #33 on: 16 Jul 2012, 04:55 pm »
Great detailed review Alex  :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 16 Jul 2012, 05:26 pm »
Alex thank you!!!!

The Avatar is for Maxell but I'm a JBL fanatic and those are JBL speakers pictured blowing the guy/me away. I have had great folks here tip me off to keychains, posters, etc... with it...I even framed one for my cave....LOL.......yep...I'm nuts like everybody else, I think..... :scratch:

ajzepp

« Reply #35 on: 16 Jul 2012, 06:19 pm »
I've sometimes been misled by the presumption that a higher cost piece of gear just has to be better in direct proportion to its higher price. I've discovered that higher priced stuff, like the LCD-2s, are better than lower priced cans, but not in direct proportion.

Great point. My Grado PS500s are less than half the price of my Beyer T1s, but if I had to choose one headphone I'd go with the Grados. It's not a knock on the T1s, it's just that the 500s are such a great match for my ears that they get the edge.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #36 on: 17 Jul 2012, 10:37 pm »
After spending a year mucking around with headphones....and winding up with a really nice pair of Audeze LCD2's and getting burnt out with this part of the hobby....after going thru several sets of cans...I bought a pair of Grado 325is!! 

Why? go Figure....

Alex
(still smiling...or laughing!!)..

Alex. Did my own "Go figure."

Have LCD-2, Grado SR80, SR80s, KRK KNS8400, and Shure SHR750DJ, not to mention a number of cheapos and ear buds.

Today, I bought well-known and often praised Audio-Technica ATH M50. Very good. Better than all headphones I own, with the exception of the LCD-2, which is sweeter, deeper, more open, and has a better sound stage.

Why did I buy them? Mostly just as a treat to myself.

How will I use them? Was using the Shure to listen to TuneIn Internet radio on my IPad in the morning while reading the news and drinking coffee. The Shure, as good as it is is a little muddy for my tastes. The M50 will be a significant improvement, especially for this application.

BTW, I almost never listen to my Grados. Many love the Grado sound signature, and it's terrific that you like your new ones,but I find Grados too forward and aggressive for me. I can't listen for more than a moment and have to take them off.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 17 Jul 2012, 11:18 pm »
Zepp I didn't know you got PS500's, I'm seriously jealous and name calling will ensue as soon as I hit post!!!  LOL...... :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #38 on: 18 Jul 2012, 08:53 am »
Zepp I didn't know you got PS500's, I'm seriously jealous and name calling will ensue as soon as I hit post!!!  LOL...... :thumb:

haha, yep, the PS500s are as close to the perfect headphone for me that I've come across yet. The only thing I would change about them would be to have them look like RS-1s, cause I find those to be beautiful looking phones. I really want to listen to the PS1ks still, and probably the GS1ks, but the 500s just tick all the boxes for me, to use an english phrase. With the Beyer T1s and 1350 portables, and then the PS500s, I'm pretty well covered right now. Very happy with the sound and have no pressing need to upgrade. It's sort of like when I got the Magnepan 3.6s. I still took interest in what else was out there and enjoyed auditioning other gear, but I pretty much knew that I found my beloveds  :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #39 on: 18 Jul 2012, 08:54 am »

How will I use them? Was using the Shure to listen to TuneIn Internet radio on my IPad in the morning while reading the news and drinking coffee.

The TuneIn radio app is probably my favorite app next to Netflix. I use it every day and love it.