Just When I thought I Would Never Do This Again....

adydula

• Restricted
Just When I thought I Would Never Do This Again....
« on: 17 May 2012, 06:29 pm »
After spending a year mucking around with headphones....and winding up with a really nice pair of Audeze LCD2's and getting burnt out with this part of the hobby....after going thru several sets of cans...I bought a pair of Grado 325is!! 

Why? go Figure....

Alex
(still smiling...or laughing!!)..

ajzepp

Re: Just When I thought I Would Never Do This Again....
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2012, 10:23 pm »
Nice choice  :thumb:

saisunil

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2012, 10:41 pm »
From LCD2 to Grado 325i ... could you elaborate ... that is quite a surprising move

Douger

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2012, 11:52 pm »
They're great! Listening to mine right now, Donna Summer RIP... After breakin these give you stunning treble, very good bass, very good music!
Good comfort, don't need special amplification, very competitive pricing... Congratulations!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2012, 12:46 pm »
Elaborate...hmmmmm lets see....

The adventure I spent in the headphone realm was me wanting to see how good this technology has progressed etc....curiosity got the best of me...

So in the journey like most of us there is a budget that makes sense to us in the working world ( :D )...
The LCDs were at the high end of what I can afford and justify and they indeed are very nice cans.

I have always wondered what the Grado sound was really curious to see how different these would be compared to the other stuff I tried etc....and the price is in the affordaable. Reading the millions of reviews and comments led me to..

Choosing low cost Audio Technica M50's, mid price AKG 702's and then the LCD2's...which after having the LCD2's I sold the other stuff....

So we never did try Grados or many others...and the other day I was reading
stuff' and they simply peaked my interest and said what the heck....also they are made here in the USA by a family that was around when I was a youngster and seem to have a legacy....

I was torn between the 225's and the 325's...

They will be here next week, and we shall see how they sound and perform...

The LCD2's for me wont be going anywhere soon....even though cans dont do what my 2 ch setup does, they do have a really place for many of us that like to listen to music in a different way.

Stay Tuned
Alex

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2012, 02:25 am »
Elaborate...hmmmmm lets see....

The adventure I spent in the headphone realm was me wanting to see how good this technology has progressed etc....curiosity got the best of me...

So in the journey like most of us there is a budget that makes sense to us in the working world ( :D )...
The LCDs were at the high end of what I can afford and justify and they indeed are very nice cans.

I have always wondered what the Grado sound was really curious to see how different these would be compared to the other stuff I tried etc....and the price is in the affordaable. Reading the millions of reviews and comments led me to..

Choosing low cost Audio Technica M50's, mid price AKG 702's and then the LCD2's...which after having the LCD2's I sold the other stuff....

So we never did try Grados or many others...and the other day I was reading
stuff' and they simply peaked my interest and said what the heck....also they are made here in the USA by a family that was around when I was a youngster and seem to have a legacy....

I was torn between the 225's and the 325's...

They will be here next week, and we shall see how they sound and perform...

The LCD2's for me wont be going anywhere soon....even though cans dont do what my 2 ch setup does, they do have a really place for many of us that like to listen to music in a different way.

Stay Tuned
Alex
Alex, like others, I'm surprised with your change of direction. I've been the Grado route going way back: RS2, RS1, SR80. After getting my LCD-2s, the Grados sounded simply awful to me, but that's me.

On the other hand, I bought KRK KNS8400s and Shure SRH750DJs. I use the KRKs to listen to podcasts, but they can do much more. I listen to the Shures to listen to internet radio over my iPad. But they, too, are better than that, and much more like the LCDs, but not in their class.

The point is that I get the allure of trying new cans, especially at lower prices (got the Shures for $88!). And I truly hope you like your new Grados.

Dave

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2012, 02:38 am »
So you haven't heard the Grados yet, Alex?

I also will be curious to hear your comparison, not having heard the LCD2s (but wanting to) and being an early Grado adopter and dismisser in favor of Etymotics ER4Ss. I felt I couldn't trust the bass on the Grados, much as I loved their clean mids with tons of headroom. These were the RS1s (I think) with the polarity switch which cost the outlandish amount of around $1000 in Canada in 1993.

Kinger

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2012, 10:58 am »
I really enjoyed the sound out of a pair of Grados a friend loaned me.  Problem was I could never get over the comfort (or lack thereof) of the on ear design.  After an album or two, I just wanted nothing more than to just get them off my head.  Very different from the comfort of my Beyer 880's or my Denon D2000's.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2012, 11:48 am »
If you guys get the bowl pads for the Grado's it makes a huge difference in comfort. I have a pair I modded and some HE-5LE's which I like better but I still enjoy listening to the Grado's.
http://www.amazon.com/Grado-L-Cush-Large-Replacement-Cushions/dp/B0006GCCO0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337428064&sr=8-2

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2012, 12:08 pm »
Good Morning Folks...

Yup it surprised me to....but we shall see. I am planning on being totally disappointed compared to the LCD2's but at least I will know!!  :D

The Grados come with the big circular cush pads at least these 325is do, there are many other options out there for comfort...

There isnt a lot out there that has a bass response that goes waaaay down low as they LCD2's etc...

I have a set of audio technica 50's that I use daily on the pc and when i play games...and some casual music and they are really a surprise for the low cost...but not in the same ballpark as the other stuff...

If not they could be for sale soon...but I will do a good comparision to see what $300 buys you, the AKG 702 which i liked a lot went out the door when the LCD 2s arrived....these cans are really light good fitting and very 'clean sounding, and very crisp and articulate...."..

Happy Saturday!

Alex

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2012, 12:49 pm »
Alex, yep the 325's have the pads I was referring to already. The biggest G-Cush pads are on the top model...I prefer the ones you and I will be using the best. The 325's will sound different for sure but you'll be surprised. After I finally get some PS500's the 325's would be my next choice. Have fun....don't forget that part..... :thumb:

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2012, 01:47 pm »
I keep wondering about Grado since so many sing their praises.
I'm very sensitive to aggressive upper midrange/lower treble and
have been concerned that Grado's might have more of what I
like in that range.  Looking forward to a meet in Chicago in the
hopes that there will be some grado's (as well as some planar's)
there that I can try out.
regards,
Hibuck....

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2012, 06:48 pm »
The fun part is the most "fun"....lol

Maybe I will get a desire to go find some vinatage Dynaco A25's or AR3's hahahah!

Later
Alex

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2012, 08:11 pm »
I really enjoyed the sound out of a pair of Grados a friend loaned me.  Problem was I could never get over the comfort (or lack thereof) of the on ear design.  After an album or two, I just wanted nothing more than to just get them off my head.  Very different from the comfort of my Beyer 880's or my Denon D2000's.
Pretty much sums up my reaction too; listened to a pair of 225s awhile back. Liked the sound but they may have been the most uncomfortable cans I have ever had on my head.

minimus

« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2012, 10:15 pm »
Well, the Grado house sound is almost the polar opposite of the LCD-2s.  LCD-2s are sort of dark, especially the Mk1 version.  Grado has a more forward mid-range.

I am pretty sensitive about anything that leans in the direction of sounding bright...I bought some 225s about four years ago and they made me feel like my ears were bleeding (and that was because of their forward sound signature). Comfort, or lack thereof, is another issue.  The ear pads feel like they are made out of steel wool.

Then again, some people swear by Grados, and you may find they are a nice complement to the LCD-2s.

ajzepp

« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2012, 11:23 pm »
All you need to do is throw the Grado pads in the wash with your laundry (use fabric softener) once or twice and you're good to go. My 80s and PS500s are both very light and comfortable...can wear them for hours at a time.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2012, 12:43 am »
I really enjoyed the sound out of a pair of Grados a friend loaned me.  Problem was I could never get over the comfort (or lack thereof) of the on ear design.  After an album or two, I just wanted nothing more than to just get them off my head.

I had the exact same experience until I took a chance on this .....

If you guys get the bowl pads for the Grado's it makes a huge difference in comfort.

Yep. Those GS-1000 replacement pads make a huge difference in comfort and I think they sound better too. I don't listen to my phones much anymore, but when I do I can make it through an entire disc before any discomfort. They fit my RS-2s with no modifications.

saisunil

« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2012, 12:49 am »
Grados are ROCK phones ... period.
There was few phones that can beat grados at their price point ...

You can do better for classical, Jazz and acoustic with other phones ...
I have had most of their offerings all the way up to PS1000 and HF-2 ... they all went out at one point or another ...

But again they are such a personal thing and you have to wear them / try them with the type of music you like listening to and decide for yourself ...

Then again it is hard to find a phone that is good for all types of music ...

ajzepp

« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2012, 02:09 am »
I love my Grados for everything except electronica, which the BeyerDs do much better due to the better bass extension. Acoustic music sounds fantastic...the timbre of the instruments is beautiful and imaging is spot on.

Douger

« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2012, 02:21 am »
I am just done listening to La Boheme through my PS500's, HiFiMan HE500's, and my 325i's. I would not say that 325's will give as much as the others, but after they break in, which may take 60 to 100 hours,  my experience is that they settle down and give a good performance on many types of music.
Prior to that point it would have been easy to sell them or take them back or leave them in a closet...  They are worth the wait, though.  I personally don't
have trouble with the comfort factor, my ears are small. Good luck, and enjoy them as an alternative to your LCD-2's.