Odyssey or sanders ?

JackD

Re: Odyssey or sanders ?
« Reply #60 on: 24 Aug 2015, 01:37 am »
Give "semi-affordable" a dollar range and you might get more useful suggestions.

STEREOmole

« Reply #61 on: 24 Aug 2015, 01:43 am »
I was thinking less than $500 for my "semi-affordable" budget.   That's why I was looking at the Bifrost.  For $500, I can pick up a Pioneer N-50 and leave my N-30 in my old system though, and it supposedly has excellent conversion.  Also, like I said in my previous post, I'm currently using a non-oversampling DAC and loving it...just looking for more detail without loosing the smooth treble and analog sound, and I need another DAC for the second system. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #62 on: 24 Aug 2015, 01:55 am »
The Bifrost is ok, but I'd look into the ifi microDSD. I had the Bifrost Uber, it's ok but the ifi is probably a better choice right now imo.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #63 on: 24 Aug 2015, 02:01 am »
Theresa good DAC in the parasound p-5 I'm eying.  Nad 165bee has no DAC like the parasound.

roscoeiii

« Reply #64 on: 24 Aug 2015, 04:47 am »
The Bifrost is ok, but I'd look into the ifi microDSD. I had the Bifrost Uber, it's ok but the ifi is probably a better choice right now imo.

+1 on iFi Micro iDSD.

STEREOmole

« Reply #65 on: 24 Aug 2015, 05:31 am »
Has anyone heard the iFi Nano as compared to the Micro?  The iFi DACs are very visually unattractive (remind me of some Radio Shack stereo amp from 1987) and seem to cram a lot of features in there that I don't necessarily want...but, I don't listen with my eyes and the lack of visual appeal is offset by a very attractive price and rave reviews.  Is the 'headphone amp' part of the DAC separate from the line level outs?  In other words the volume control doesn't work on the line level RCA output? 

I'm thinking the Nano might be all the DAC I need for my purposes (mostly playing 16/44.1 FLAC files w/ occasional MP3 and a sprinkling of DSD) if it compares favorably to the Micro.  The headphone amp would be a cool feature for listening late-night, but I probably don't need the battery that the Micro offers, and that 3D/bass enhancement stuff scares me.

Thanks for the suggestions!

BeerCan

« Reply #66 on: 24 Aug 2015, 12:35 pm »
I have a ifi micro as well, it does computer duty for me.  It is one of the best deals going in audio right now, and I love how small it is.

roscoeiii

« Reply #67 on: 24 Aug 2015, 12:57 pm »
Has anyone heard the iFi Nano as compared to the Micro?  The iFi DACs are very visually unattractive (remind me of some Radio Shack stereo amp from 1987) and seem to cram a lot of features in there that I don't necessarily want...but, I don't listen with my eyes and the lack of visual appeal is offset by a very attractive price and rave reviews.  Is the 'headphone amp' part of the DAC separate from the line level outs?  In other words the volume control doesn't work on the line level RCA output? 

I'm thinking the Nano might be all the DAC I need for my purposes (mostly playing 16/44.1 FLAC files w/ occasional MP3 and a sprinkling of DSD) if it compares favorably to the Micro.  The headphone amp would be a cool feature for listening late-night, but I probably don't need the battery that the Micro offers, and that 3D/bass enhancement stuff scares me.

Thanks for the suggestions!

My understanding is that the micro is a considerable improvement on the nano. I'd check Headfi for comparisons. There are long threads on both, in addition to user reviews.

erniek

« Reply #68 on: 24 Aug 2015, 06:33 pm »
I have a Khartago/Candela/LS50 combo I am using with a MF V90 Dac and have been quite happy with it. I am using an Imac currently with it as well, sounds better a lot of the time than the CDs I play through the same system. Files are all FLAC and I am using PLAY as the music player. I have used this DAC with my smaller desktop system and it is consistent in its sound.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #69 on: 27 Aug 2015, 12:42 pm »
Well, i packed up my energy rc-70's late afternoon, yesterday, took an hour drive to north chicago burbs.
  Welcomed by a home made supper & cold German bier. I brought appetizers and dessert.

I auditioned the sanders magtech till fairly late, rick was very nice and friendly, as was his wife & daughter
 I must say this amp is nothing short of phenominal.

Anyone who said thin or harsh, must be deaf, or just did t actually hear it.

Rc-70's sounded so good, i never would have thought that they could play so clean, effortless to the volume we had them, powered by the stereo magtech with sanders pre.

More to come......

Arcticdeth

« Reply #70 on: 27 Aug 2015, 01:17 pm »
Anyone near chicago with kismet extreme monos?

I can bring food n tunes.

Only full on kismets, nothing else.

Eugene2

« Reply #71 on: 28 Aug 2015, 04:15 pm »
A lot of folks are not familiar with your speakers, a few years back they were considered very good "bang for buck" especially at discounted prices.  They compare favorably to speakers in the 2500.00 to 3000.00 price range.  Losing out in terms of some timbal accuracy and imaging.  The speakers are pretty efficient also which means you do need the headroom of the Sanders which was built for electrostatics which are much harder to drive than your speakers.  Based on your earlier comments I would go for one of Klaus' high current stereo amps upgrade to 180000 uf (still overkill) and use the extra money to buy an Oppo DVD and Klaus extremely good Candela preamp or put the money into a DSP Antimode room correction for 1200.00 which is a Dac, preamp room correction all in one.  Now you can go and blow your load on the amps you have been discussing for four pages or listen to some of my or other very good suggestions people have given you, which will give you much better sound.

roscoeiii

« Reply #72 on: 28 Aug 2015, 05:10 pm »
Anyone near chicago with kismet extreme monos?

I can bring food n tunes.

Only full on kismets, nothing else.

Perhaps call Klaus. Maybe he can put a willing  Chicago customer in touch with you.

TomS

« Reply #73 on: 28 Aug 2015, 05:13 pm »
Why not just take a drive down I65 to Indy? Klaus is a great host :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #74 on: 28 Aug 2015, 05:13 pm »
The speakers are pretty efficient also which means you do need the headroom of the Sanders which was built for electrostatics which are much harder to drive than your speakers.

Eugene2, I think you left out "NOT" from the sentence above. Should be "you do not need the headroom of the Sanders", correct?

Arcticdeth

« Reply #75 on: 28 Aug 2015, 11:53 pm »
Headroom is king!

The magtech is different from the esl amp, magtech has the regulated power supply.

I keep looking at the pics of the kismet from other post, damnet!!! I like the monoblocks.
AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #76 on: 28 Aug 2015, 11:58 pm »
Chicago to Indianapolis can't be too far of a drive. Go see Klaus when he's home. He's got the same Kismet mono's that he made for me plus you could hear his speakers and compare them to your Energy's.

Rocket

« Reply #77 on: 29 Aug 2015, 12:10 am »
Hi,

I agree with the pervious post. Try to see Klaus and listen to his amps and speakers.  That way you can listen for yourself and also compare your energy speakers with Odyssey equipment.

Cheers Rod

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #78 on: 29 Aug 2015, 12:13 am »
Why not just take a drive down I65 to Indy? Klaus is a great host :thumb:

Yeah, what he said... :D

roscoeiii

« Reply #79 on: 29 Aug 2015, 12:48 am »
Headroom is king!

Headroom is important but relative to the efficiency of your speakers.