Home theater guys

Rclark

Home theater guys
« on: 7 Jan 2012, 01:02 am »
 I have been researching subwoofers and mostly it's been a difficult experience so far. All I can say is thank god for the Audiocircle as something to come back to.

Subwoofers tend to be discussed mainly by home theater guys, and even the experienced ones tend to be slightly less than informed.

Typical:

HEY I WANNA NO WILL 2 *** **** 18's be LOUD ENOUGH IN MY SYSTEM?>???? WQHAT?

DUDE YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE THEY'RE PORTED IT'S WAY LOUDER MY **** SUB I CAN HEAR IT FROM MY NEIGHBORS DRIVEWAY IT SHAKES MY WHOLE HOUSE AND MAKES THE GROUND MOVE!!!!!!! WHAT WHAT!!!!!

REALLY? CAUSE i AM 72.3242347576575% MOVIES and 25.54545308954309843908593534iu6y353% MUSIC AND LIKE 5.3954235420938750293750982375423089% GAMEZ DOG!!! WILL IT POUND!!

YEAH!! LIKE ALL I HAVE IS A SUBS I DON'T EVEN HAVE SPEAKERS I JUST USE SUBS AS MY MAINS AND SUBS AS SURROUNDZZZZ AND THEN I'VE GOT LIKE 12 18'S FOR ... JUST SUBZZZ!!!

dUDE I'M THINKING OF GETTING TWELVE OF THOSE THEN!!!

THAT WILL BE INSANE!!!

DO YOU HAVE AN EQ? U WILL NEED MAD EQ ON IT!

wHAT'S THAT???

DUDE I DON'T EVEN NO! BUT i WAZ TOLD i NEEDED IT!

WAHTZ A GOOD MUSIC TRACK TO TEST EM"???

GUTTER BASS 3000 REALLY HITZ LOW MAN!! AND LIKE 2:35 INTO THE MOVIE NUCLEAR APOCALYPSE FIVE!! I KEEP PLAYING THAT SCENE OVER AND OVER FOR THE BAAASSS!!!

And on and on. It's been pretty painful. I feel better now.

srb

Re: Home theater guys
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2012, 01:14 am »
If they used the word "Dude" and "U" for "You", you were on the wrong forums.

Oops, gotta go, PLOS.

Steve

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2012, 01:16 am »
Subs are easy - just get a Rythmik 15 inch servo sub or 2 (or 3) and you're done.

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2012, 01:19 am »
Oh good, you are the man to speak to. What do you think of the Epik Legend? They're $899 a pair, for a total of 4 12" drivers.

My mmg's top out somewhere in the 90dB range so I'm not after a killer, I'd like to pursue what you're doing. And with an eventual 4 of those, you have quite a bit of smoothing, no?

Also looking at the Rythmik FV12. There is a gentleman here who says they're very fast subs despite being ported.

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2012, 01:20 am »
If they used the word "Dude" and "U" for "You", you were on the wrong forums.

Oops, gotta go, PLOS.

Steve

AVS, etc. it almost makes it fun to read.

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2012, 04:55 am »
I know of exactly what you speak.  They do not have any clue when it comes to musical bass.  Their reference is outside of our universe.   Its not that that is horrid, it just has zero to do with music.  I'd say do 3 of any good named sub, say, what Tyson says, and your golden if your willing to take time to set them up properly.  More subs is better than XYZ named subs.

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2012, 05:10 am »
It's basically down to the Rythmik FV12, the Epik Legend (current front runner), the CS 10.2, eD A5s-300 ... and not much else. HSU maybe.

And I love your avatar.

neekomax

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2012, 05:55 am »
I'm also considering an Epik Legend for my system. I already have dual active subs that are part of the driver arrays in my Soundfield Audio monitors, but for $500, thought it might be cool to have the extra bass reinforcement for smoothing response. I'm all about sealed subwoofers, and I also need high level (speaker) inputs, which the X-Ref Emotivas don't have, for example.

Only other sub I'm thinking of is the Elemental Designs sealed 10" for a mere $350! Since my speakers use eD subs, I'm thinking that they would sync up nicely with the SAM1 in terms of speed and response. http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_138&products_id=892

By the way, I use the word 'dude', but I spell it 'dood', 'cause that's way fresh. Dood.

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2012, 07:02 am »
I was looking at the eD ten also, it's $300 if you buy pairs, which is really cheap. I talked to eD though and they suggested in the long run the A5s-300 is worth spending the extra money on though. Nice e5 driver. A user here says it sounded better than his Rythmik. Problem is the super long wait after you order.

Epik seems to have a really good reputation for SQ, and actually when I started cruising around the net I found a lot of users also use planar's like me, and they say the company makes nice sounding subs. I like that the legend is $899 a pair, and I like that it leads to a total of 4 drivers. The only thing that concerned me was the look of the drivers themselves, but from what I've come to learn, they are extremely well engineered and that once you get into things like spoked baskets and things like that it's a diminishing return in sq. Several users I've come across claim to be musicians (one a band leader), and highly praised the SQ of the sub, so I'm willing to trust on that issue. So far I love the idea.