I have received delivery of the RM/X today

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
« on: 27 Aug 2003, 08:23 pm »
Just wanted to let you all know the RM/X have arrived - I'm taking a break from moving these monsters up four flights of stairs, and have unpacked one.  It looks absolutely beautiful - the fit and finish is flawless.  Can't wait to connect them...I wish we had the rest of our components arrived.

Kind Regards,

Rup

Sa-dono

« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2003, 08:29 pm »
Congrats Rup! I'm sure you've just made a lot of people jealous :D At least we know they're not dead..

Horsehead

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2003, 08:37 pm »
Great news!  Please let us know when you have them up and running with optimal sound.  I would love to take a ferry ride across the Hudson and hear them. I wouldn't mind moving up to the RM/Xs if I heard some significant improvements.  Hey Rup, maybe we could get a couple of local RM40 owners together to get some group discussion/impressions on the RM/X?

Horsehead

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2003, 08:39 pm »
:idea: Almost forgot- any options with caps, internal wiring, etc. or are your RM/Xs stock?

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2003, 09:02 pm »
Congratulations Rup,

I look forward to getting together and seeing your shop when I'm in NYC, within the next month.  I have a customer in White Plains that I need to see within the next three weeks.  

Best of luck,

Jack

PS-I owe you some $$$.  Will pay up when I see you.  Thx...

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2003, 09:42 pm »
The RM/X are configured with all options, in a stunning piano black.

Horsehead - That sounds like a great idea.  As we're still finishing renovations and completing our equipment, that time is a few weeks off yet.  I would love to have a get together in a few weeks, after all the dust has cleared and all of the components broken in.  I'll post pictures when the new digital camera arrives.  You're welcome over any time after we're all set here.  I'm dying to hook the speakers up - but there's so much cleaning involved, and setup issues.  I plan on going to Home Depot as the new speaker cables haven't all arrived (Spectron, deHavilland, Empirical Audio).  Time to do some comparisons to see which will best match with the RM/X.  Finalization is still a while away, as the wires have to break in, as do the speakers.

Jman - Looking forward to catching up.  Will you be in town with the lovely wife? PM on the way.

shokunin

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2003, 10:56 pm »
Wonderful news Rup!!  Hook them to whatever you have, you'll begin the break-in process at least and have some background music while you finish up the renovations.

rosconey

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2003, 10:58 pm »
:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Woodsea

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2003, 10:59 pm »
Congratulations Rup!  Having heard those beautiful monoliths, I envy you.

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2003, 11:16 pm »
I plan on going to Home Depot as the new speaker cables haven't all arrived

Marty DeWulf says that the "Lowes" 10 g wire is "as good as it gets" for the RM40s.

You might see if there's one in your area.

Glad to hear your coming together, over there. :mrgreen:

shokunin

« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2003, 12:28 am »
Quote from: John Casler

Marty DeWulf says that the "Lowes" 10 g wire is "as good as it gets" for the RM40s.

I think it was 6 AWG electrical cable with a gentle twist.   I've made a pair but have not used it yet..

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2003, 12:40 am »
I think it was 6 AWG electrical cable with a gentle twist. I've made a pair but have not used it yet..

100% correct 6g.

What was I thinking?? :sleep:

audiochef

proud owner of one of the 1st RMXsrmxs
« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2003, 02:10 am »
congrats, hope they are everything  and more that you hoped for.
     Isaw a second  set ready for shipping today at Bs wherehouse.
     It,s time some smart investers pick up and run with VMPS the way Genesis was done so . Brian is at least Arnies equal.

Stan

shokunin

« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2003, 02:49 am »
stan,

Were you able to get an audition of the Rm/x's?

audiochef

RMX demo
« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2003, 03:18 am »
Yes I did hear a demo at  Brian's demo room about a week after CES.
  I was there  with a couple of FRiends . They were demoed through Ampzilla monno blocks. To be fair I thought they kicked A. When brian demos ,it's not a cheap  Quiet audiophile demo. HE really lets it rip.
   My feeling is that  they have a hell of alot of potential but, are more finicky than the RM40s . MY friends felt  the same way but ,isn't this true with all flagship models from any highend company?
     to add to that other flagships are at least double the cost but not double the performance!!
           VMPS rocks!
           Why can't these so called audiphiles just admit it.

Stan

audiochef

flagships
« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2003, 03:36 am »
Oh ,I  left out the all important other factor about  the prices of their ''flagships '' that average 35K. RMXs 10k  . Come on now ,let,s get serious here.
         Stan

Andrikos

« Reply #16 on: 28 Aug 2003, 04:19 am »
I wonder how they stand up against the "new" "reference" "High-end" abomination of a speaker the Wilson Audio Alexandria X-2.
God I hate those ugly-ugly speakers...
Oh yeah, X-2 is "reasonably" priced at $115k a pair... :roll:
Any comparisons out there? :mrgreen:

audiochef

flagships
« Reply #17 on: 28 Aug 2003, 04:37 am »
Andrikos, beautifull-my point .Anyone else with ultra nice speakers like to comment? We'll be fair. I promise
         Stan

Sa-dono

« Reply #18 on: 28 Aug 2003, 06:54 am »
Quote from: Andrikos
I wonder how they stand up against the "new" "reference" "High-end" abomination of a speaker the Wilson Audio Alexandria X-2.
God I hate those ugly-ugly speakers...
Oh yeah, X-2 is "reasonably" priced at $115k a pair... :roll:
Any comparisons out there? :mrgreen:

I need to convince Brian to drag a pair of RM/x's over to oneobgyn's place once both have their speakers. Wouldn't that be interesting? :P :D

Horsehead

« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2003, 12:25 pm »
I need to convince Brian to drag a pair of RM/x's over to oneobgyn's place once both have their speakers. Wouldn't that be interesting?

Forget about it! Oneobgyn already has commissioned Mr. Wilson to build him a custom pair of X2 "caskets", of course made of X and M material, with one of the top drivers removed and replaced with finest cut glass for viewing.  :mrgreen:  Pretty sure it's not totally performance issues, but the Wilson "mystique" for certain people.  Let's see- out of phase cone drivers versus Brian's custom made woofers and ribbons........ :banghead: No argument on the quality of the Wilson cabinets however.

I did get to hear the X-1s with the Reference Line Mark Levinson gear and to say I was unimpressed would be an understatement.  I also heard the WP/7s at HE2002- again unimpressed.  It's pretty hard to convince someone that a $10K speaker is better than the $125K they just spent on a Wilson- never happen.  The decision was already made that they bought the "best" when they signed the check.

Bottom line- it's all about freedom of choice and personal satisfaction.  If Wilson owners are content with their purchase and enjoy sharing it with others, as Oneobgyn does, no one should tell them otherwise.