How do you remove drivers super tower ii's?

Nok

How do you remove drivers super tower ii's?
« on: 3 May 2022, 11:24 pm »
I'm trying to proactively determine how to remove the drivers from my super tower ii's in case I need to refoam them.  Do the backs of the speakers come off or do you remove them from the front?  In the case of the latter, how would you remove the passive radiator?

Nok

Re: How do you remove drivers super tower ii's?
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2022, 07:44 pm »
Actually, they're tower ii's, not super tower ii's.  My mistake.

davidc1

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2022, 11:17 am »
You unscrew them from the front with the visible screws that you can see around the edge of the speaker.

Bob Stark

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2022, 12:10 pm »
After removing the screws in the front, if you can't remove the drivers because the seal is too tight, lay the speaker face down on the floor with a couple seat cushions under the speaker, not the driver you want to remove.  Let gravity do the job overnight.  I've had to do this a few times in the past.  Be sure you're on carpet so the driver doesn't hit a hard surface.  If this doesn't work, try using a larger threaded screw and screw by hand into the hole the screw came out of.  After a couple turns, use a pair of pliers and pull on the head of the screw.  If it gives a little, do the same thing at more screw holes until the driver comes out.

davidc1

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2022, 01:48 pm »
After removing the screws in the front, if you can't remove the drivers because the seal is too tight, lay the speaker face down on the floor with a couple seat cushions under the speaker, not the driver you want to remove.  Let gravity do the job overnight.  I've had to do this a few times in the past.  Be sure you're on carpet so the driver doesn't hit a hard surface.  If this doesn't work, try using a larger threaded screw and screw by hand into the hole the screw came out of.  After a couple turns, use a pair of pliers and pull on the head of the screw.  If it gives a little, do the same thing at more screw holes until the driver comes out.

No offense, but a lot of time and work not really necessary.

Just use a flat head screwdriver to slightly pry up an edge and the just use your fingers to pull it up. Be careful not to let the screwdriver slip. If you want to be extra careful, use something plastic to pry it up. You can use an automobile trim tool to do this. Available at any auto parts store or cheap at Harbor Freight.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2022, 03:39 pm »
Just use a flat head screwdriver to slightly pry up an edge and the just use your fingers to pull it up. Be careful not to let the screwdriver slip.

Please keep ALL screwdrivers away from the drivers. Screwdrivers are not designed as a pry tool and they will always slip. Not everyone is blessed with good eye-hand coordination. In addition the screwdriver will dent the surrounding wood surface.

A fat screw (#12) that is screwed into a driver mounting hole is the approved method, make sure the screw doesn't grab the wood below. A prybar like the Vaughan B215 15-Inch Superbar ($14) on top of a block of wood for height gets the job done safely and easily. Slip the prybar notch under the screwhead and lever it up. Slowly and gently. You may have to go around the driver in multiple places so the driver frame isn't bent in the process.

The entire procedure is quick and easy and most importantly 100% safe.

davidc1

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2022, 03:45 pm »
Please keep ALL screwdrivers away from the drivers. Screwdrivers are not designed as a pry tool and they will always slip. Not everyone is blessed with good eye-hand coordination. In addition the screwdriver will dent the surrounding wood surface.

A fat screw (#12) that is screwed into a driver mounting hole is the approved method, make sure the screw doesn't grab the wood below. A prybar like the Vaughan B215 15-Inch Superbar ($14) on top of a block of wood for height gets the job done safely and easily. Slip the prybar notch under the screwhead and lever it up. Slowly and gently. You may have to go around the driver in multiple places so the driver frame isn't bent in the process.

The entire procedure is quick and easy and most importantly 100% safe.

I agree with you on the screwdrivers... But then again you're telling him to use another screwdriver. This one pointed directly down towards the cone of the speaker.
So instead, just unscrew the screws, you don't need a $15 in pry bar and a block of wood, just get the $7 kit of plastic auto trim removal tools at harbor freight and it'll work great