DIY Class T Amp, 30wpc, $40+Shipping

G.Michael

DIY Class T Amp, 30wpc, $40+Shipping
« on: 19 Feb 2019, 09:51 pm »
Built in a leftover Acopian chassis.  Way overkill power supply.  Supply voltage: 27 VDC.  The Class T boards are from Helder HiFi.   
It's a nice low-wattage yet dynamic amplifier. 

Selling it mostly for the cost of parts.  $40 plus shipping.  (It has a hefty power supply, the whole unit weights upwards of 20 lbs.  So figure $20-$30 shipping from 18104.)

« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2019, 05:21 am by G.Michael »

almonduck

Re: DIY Class T Amp, Good Quality, 30wpc
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2019, 04:45 am »
Very cool. With a little passive pre it would make a great energy saving system. I'm interested. PM sent. Any thoughts on how to further upgrade or mod it?

G.Michael

Re: DIY Class T Amp, 30wpc, $40+Shipping
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2019, 05:33 am »
Very cool. With a little passive pre it would make a great energy saving system. I'm interested. PM sent. Any thoughts on how to further upgrade or mod it?

Well, you could add more channels (outboard), as the power supply can deliver plenty of current.  BTW, I have a couple more Class T boards available. 

Speaking of a passive preamp and low power consumption, I have another one of these--different chassis, lesser-quality power supply, but same Class T boards.  I put a stepped attenuator at the input, and I wired it up so that I can bypass the internal power supply and run the unit on a 24VDC battery supply.  These Class T boards running on battery give a super low background noise.  And using a good linear supply, you get a little better dynamics.    So, a tradeoff. 

celo

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2019, 05:36 am »
Which chip, do you know? TA20xx?

G.Michael

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2019, 05:49 am »
Which chip, do you know? TA20xx?

STA-508.  Take a look: https://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/helder_sta508_e.html

BTW, in my various builds with these Class T boards, I found they work very well driven by the Pass Labs B1 buffer.  In that particular assembly, I ran both the Class T boards and the B1 buffer board on 26VDC.