New Studio Monitor....Now Shipping!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: New Studio Monitor
« Reply #120 on: 26 Feb 2019, 06:48 pm »
That's what I thought. Unfortunately I did the inner surfaces of my H-frames with Duratex and a roller. Not realizing the consequences at the time.

Does paint remover work with Duratex?
Steve

Sandpaper works well. Haven’t tried solvents as paint strippers are really harsh. A heat gunmight be another option but it sands easily enough

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #121 on: 26 Feb 2019, 07:55 pm »
That's what I thought. Unfortunately I did the inner surfaces of my H-frames with Duratex and a roller. Not realizing the consequences at the time.

Does paint remover work with Duratex?
Steve

Just wipe some contact cement on it then stick the No Rez to it. It'll stick.

Danny Richie

« Reply #122 on: 27 Feb 2019, 11:11 pm »
Pics with completed top grills.

Captainhemo

« Reply #123 on: 27 Feb 2019, 11:41 pm »
They  look really good man :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #124 on: 27 Feb 2019, 11:41 pm »
And a picture using my wife's phone.

I think this cheesy Polaroid camera is going back.

danvprod

« Reply #125 on: 28 Feb 2019, 01:33 am »
These look really nice, Danny!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #126 on: 28 Feb 2019, 02:29 am »
The monitors look intriguing, Danny, but I'd agree about the camera or its settings. It either can't focus or doesn't work well in limited light. Your stuff deserves better!

Folsom

« Reply #127 on: 28 Feb 2019, 05:42 am »
You're kind of awful with a camera :lol: . Good thing they don't need you to be good with a camera to sound excellent. I like how the top is with a grille.

If you want help with getting to understand cameras a little, let me know. I can maybe help recommend something, to.

Danny Richie

« Reply #128 on: 28 Feb 2019, 02:30 pm »
You're kind of awful with a camera :lol: . Good thing they don't need you to be good with a camera to sound excellent. I like how the top is with a grille.

If you want help with getting to understand cameras a little, let me know. I can maybe help recommend something, to.

Yes, I need camera help. This little Polaroid just won't take good pictures. I've tried every setting. I am taking it back. I need a decent budget camera that will take good quality pictures that are not huge in memory size. I just need it for taking pictures of product for uploading.

grimace

« Reply #129 on: 28 Feb 2019, 03:25 pm »

Yes, I need camera help. This little Polaroid just won't take good pictures. I've tried every setting. I am taking it back. I need a decent budget camera that will take good quality pictures that are not huge in memory size. I just need it for taking pictures of product for uploading.

Just buy an iPhone Danny.  The last 2 or 3 models have excellent cameras on them, and their low-light performance is pretty good now too.  If you get one with the dual-lens on them you can do portrait mode pics which will help too. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #130 on: 28 Feb 2019, 05:09 pm »
In any  photo editing  software,  just re-save (save as)  the jpg  at  a lower  quality and reduce  file  sizes dramatically.   You  don't need to save in   high quality for  web display

Folsom

« Reply #131 on: 28 Feb 2019, 06:48 pm »

Ok you're going to need a few things, and to get a little more serious. This will ultimately benefit you more than you think I bet, having good photos.

Get a Canon PowerShot SX530; don't forget to buy a separate memory card. (I would splurge for a Nikon D3400, but I'm trying to keep it low $) You're going to shoot in Av mode so you can set the aperture high for depth of field. It has selectable resolutions so you can shoot fairly small to decent sized, and you can select file size by adjust the "fineness". You're going to have to put it on a Tripod. And you need some lighting.

The Nikon has a higher depth of field. That means you can get more in focus. When you're in aperture mode it will adjust shutter speed automatically, but you want to use the delayed photo taking. It's the feature that makes the camera count a few seconds before taking a photo. That way you aren't jiggling the camera when you take the photo, even though it's on a Tripod.

The lighting is just... you can't do that with flash. It also helps blow out the white background better. I think a long piece of white paper works well. Cheap and easy to replace, as well. Sometimes you can find rolls of it for cheap.

For under $400 you'll be able to take some pretty darn nice photos. Pretty damn cheap!

nik.d

« Reply #132 on: 2 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm »
If I may:
I'm not going to suggest this or that model, however I would not recommend purchase of any camera without external flash socket.

George

Folsom

« Reply #133 on: 2 Mar 2019, 05:32 pm »
Remote flashes are $$$$.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #134 on: 2 Mar 2019, 06:06 pm »
Remote flashes are $$$$.

Not always. I got a package deal that had two lights with stands, two umbrellas, a shroud and two remotes that let you trigger the lights/flash either with the camera flash or the hot shoe inscarry case for $350

Mike

Folsom

« Reply #135 on: 2 Mar 2019, 10:35 pm »
Not bad, I still wouldn't use flash for product. It can be ok, but just plain lighting keeps it simple for someone who doesn't want to go any farther than necessary. Flash is kinda difficult to control for product.

nrenter

« Reply #136 on: 3 Mar 2019, 12:18 am »
+1

Just buy an iPhone Danny.  The last 2 or 3 models have excellent cameras on them, and their low-light performance is pretty good now too.  If you get one with the dual-lens on them you can do portrait mode pics which will help too.

Danny Richie

« Reply #137 on: 3 Mar 2019, 01:08 am »
My 15 year old Kodak camera (that finally died), on the lowest resolution setting, took better pictures than my daughters latest iPhone.

JohnR

« Reply #138 on: 3 Mar 2019, 01:33 am »
https://www.dpreview.com/buying-guides

And get a tripod and remote release, which will probably make a bigger difference than the actual camera. If you can find a location inside that gets good diffuse light at certain times of the day, that makes the lighting easiest.

Folsom

« Reply #139 on: 3 Mar 2019, 02:40 am »
https://www.dpreview.com/buying-guides

And get a tripod and remote release, which will probably make a bigger difference than the actual camera. If you can find a location inside that gets good diffuse light at certain times of the day, that makes the lighting easiest.

A remote release works, or the auto timer. The auto timer is slightly annoying because you have to wait.

But John is right, not shaking the camera allows you to get the exposure you want, where as without that you basically have to use flash. (in which case you need multiple flashes that are remote)

The Nikon D3400 uses a wireless release remote I believe.